[Q] [Honest curiosity] About updates and AOSP

Search This thread

sugar0

Jun 8, 2010
If there's already source for 4.0.3 why don't devs (whom i'll always not thanks enough for their work) makes an update? Only Google can make an incremental update and we need a full AOSP rom ?

sugar0

Jun 8, 2010
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.
I mean: i'm on stock 4.0.1 and i don't want to wipe now. Isn't there a way to make an incremental update 4.0.3 instead of flashing an entire rom?

Royal2000H

Apr 12, 2010
Also as a Nexus device, wasn't one of the benefits that Google would put out the updates very quickly?

They have 4.0.3 just sitting there, is there any reason why they're not putting it out?

F0l3ert

Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.

Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium

sugar0

Jun 8, 2010
The 4.0.3 roms are based off from the uncompiled 4.0.3 source that google releases to the public, which developers can compile and test their apps on.
As for your 4.0.1, is your device a yakju, or jakjuux? Check with the GN checker app on the market. If its jakjuux, it wont be updated until samsung says so, meanwhile if you are running jakju, you should be able to go to 4.0.2, which has been released as an OTA through google. Hope this helps.

Sent from my MZ604 using xda premium

I'm yakju bu you didn't get my point or neither i'm not explaining what it could be only my imagination. BUT
If the source code it's released why it can't be a 6/10/20 mb packet that can upgrade my system like a FOTA update can do ?

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.

Arrio

Nov 11, 2011
Because 4.0.3 has some bugs that needs to be fixed. The 4.0.3 OTA was released for Nexus S then pulled because of the bugs it was having.
You think if it was ready, they'd release it. Give it time, people are so ungrateful when 95% of the Android Community are still on Android 2.3.X and below.

If you want it so badly, flash a custom ROM with 4.0.3 on it. If you don't want to, then you can't really complain.

Not really, there's a source released for the GNex from Google.

Sugar0, I will try compiling that stock source and tell you how it goes.

sugar0

Jun 8, 2010
Not really, there's a source released for the GNex from Google.

Sugar0, I will try compiling that stock source and tell you how it goes.

You don't need to! It's plenty of stock untouched AOSP roms and modified.

What i'm asking is:

is there an unofficial small update that will bring 4.0.3 to my GN that i can flash in recovery ? Not the full rom!

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
You could always just compile it yourself with "make otapackage", that will give you exactly what you're asking for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
No, you didn't "miss" anything. It's just that most people who are going to take the time to setup a build environment are doing so to tinker with the source -- not just build a vanilla package. Either way, its not terribly difficult to setup and build -- especially with all the guides floating around XDA.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
You could always just compile it yourself with "make otapackage", that will give you exactly what you're asking for.

That's not strictly true. The 'OTA' package you make when compiling the ROM from source is still a complete ROM as opposed to a small OTA update

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
It won't require a system wipe and will apply just like an OTA, which is what (I'm assuming) the OP wanted.

sugar0

Jun 8, 2010
It won't require a system wipe and will apply just like an OTA, which is what (I'm assuming) the OP wanted.

Yep! like nigthly build of Cyanogenmod. It doesen't matter if its 6mb or 120mb. So aren't there those updates around ? I can't understand why they don't make such updates