Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 52,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How is 4.2.2 running so far?

Tip us?

Khizar
Old
(Last edited by Khizar; 16th February 2013 at 11:53 AM.) Reason: Added Takju & Yakju 4.2.2 Factory Images
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 7763
Default How is 4.2.2 running so far?

How are you guys liking 4.2.2 so far? Are there things you think google could have done better?

4.2.2 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2.2 Takju & Yakju OTA

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

4.2.1 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2.1 Takju & Yakju OTA

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

4.2 Google Factory Image

Takju

Yakju

4.2 Takju & Yakju OTA With Instructions

Takju OTA

Yakju OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon Mushroom

-make sure you're on the latest STOCK android image for TAKJU or Yakju (whichever OTA you want to flash)
-move .zip to your phone
-boot into CWM recovery
-install zip from SD card
-choose the fie

the install takes a few minutes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aeoveu
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Haven't seen any other thread so I'm posting here.

To start off, playing with the swiping keyboard is troublesome for me... I never liked Swype and I suck at swyping anyway tapping seems faster... Or maybe my finger isn't greased properly...

Otherwise, I have noticed that Agent Dash seems to stutter less in my 5 minutes of testing. The kernel's changed so I don't get those frequent flashing and random reboots (not yet anyway) (knock wood!).

No miracast streaming. No change in the radio performance thus far. There's a new antialiasing option in the Dev options though.

Seems alright, I'll say. Sans the swiping (which is a personal preference, cause it slows me down if I type carefully... Which you need to do if you want to make any sense... Go figure!)

sent from my mini tractor

niamul
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I sense a lag after the update; even after two reboots.
The lock screen is almost rubbish IMHO. Its like having multiple screens with widgets.
As for the toggle I was expecting much much more. Don't mind the keyboard at all.
-

Google Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
Samsung Galaxy Spica GT-i5700
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to niamul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SilentStormer
Old
Thanks Meter 1147
I don't have a 4.2 OTA, but I've been running the leaked apps on my Gnex for weeks.
Here's my impressions:
Keyboard is great for one-handed typing, I don't care who you are you have to admit that it makes it a little easier to type when you only have one had available and I'm a fan of it.

Camera is alright, I feel like the pictures (at least on the Gnex) didn't look as good as they should've but that was a .apk from a Nexus 4, so it's understandable. Also Photo Sphere works pretty well if you know how to take the pictures correctly and not move the phone around too much.

From what I've seen of the official 4.2 features, lock-screen widgets look really unfinished, quick settings needs some work and the ability to customize it, and I still don't know if HDR is on the Gnex yet.

Overall I'm a little skeptical if this will be a definitive "upgrade" or not.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app
Android Enthusiast level 17
I write about tech stuff, do pixel art, and photography from time to time: http://adventuresofayoungnerd.tumblr.com
My Devices:
) Sprint Galaxy Nexus: The Experience Project Nightlies
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilentStormer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

turmoil86
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStormer View Post
I don't have a 4.2 OTA, but I've been running the leaked apps on my Gnex for weeks.
Here's my impressions:
Keyboard is great for one-handed typing, I don't care who you are you have to admit that it makes it a little easier to type when you only have one had available and I'm a fan of it.

Camera is alright, I feel like the pictures (at least on the Gnex) didn't look as good as they should've but that was a .apk from a Nexus 4, so it's understandable. Also Photo Sphere works pretty well if you know how to take the pictures correctly and not move the phone around too much.

From what I've seen of the official 4.2 features, lock-screen widgets look really unfinished, quick settings needs some work and the ability to customize it, and I still don't know if HDR is on the Gnex yet.

Overall I'm a little skeptical if this will be a definitive "upgrade" or not.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app
I stopped reading here.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to turmoil86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Akizella
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Cool Bad one, downgraded to 4.1.2

First thing is, that you cant use gesture typing on my languange (finnish) so useless feature. Locksreen is crap i think like comparing the ways to widget locker, android loses 5-0. the build is also laggy, and apps is crashing and i get reboots. Would not recommend this, maybe later when batter version is avaible
Samsung Galaxy S III i9305

Mcampbellsmith's unofficial CM 11.0 Kitkat builds.

= Best battery life
= Smooth
= Stable
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akizella For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khizar
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmoil86 View Post
I stopped reading here.
lol

Fluba
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Everything seems to be running smoothly so far. I flashed 4.1.2 stock, unrooted, flashed the 4.2 zip and re-rooted and all that jazz.

Starting from new sucks (have to re-do screends and such), but it's also nice to start over fresh.

Lock screen are interesting but I find myself trying to swipe to the next one, but registers as a pattern instead (pattern password lock). When I start getting more texts/events I'll be able to find the usefulness of it all.

Swipe is really nice on the keyboard. I'm a button-press guy, but this is sort of refreshing. I like seeing the word develop as I move my finger around. Will I use the all the time? Maybe. I'll give it this week to test out.

Pull-down with quick settings is a useful feature. If it had data as well, that'd be amazing. I usually turn on wifi, turn off data just to make sure I'm not wasting it on my ATT plan. The icon for my name in the top left is kind of useless though. Just shows a small amount of contact information. Maybe it'll be the spot for profiles in the future.

Speed and performance is amazing as always. Ever since Jelly Bean it's been responsive and quick to load apps. Only when something is downloading in the background does the OS get a little sketchy. That's nothing to worry about though.

Remember to tap 7 times on About > Build Number to enable Developer Options. It's only been maybe half an hour, so I'll keep running through the various features to get the full experience down. Next up: Photo Sphere.

Joplisan
Old
Thanks Meter 42
It's really smooth and stable for me. Even better than 4.1.2. I like the new styling and I fell in love with new additions right away. Like I mentioned before, I'm a bit bothered by a "recent apps" menu. Everythime I close (slide) an app, it laggs. The whole thing just blinks for a bit. Otherwise, everything runs well.

Oh, and I don't have "pinch to zoom" in Gmail.. checked in the settings, if I missed anything, but nothing... any ideas?
Nexus 4 | KOT49H | completely stock

Lesicnik1
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joplisan View Post
It's really smooth and stable for me. Even better than 4.1.2. I like the new styling and I fell in love with new additions right away. Like I mentioned before, I'm a bit bothered by a "recent apps" menu. Everythime I close (slide) an app, it laggs. The whole thing just blinks for a bit. Otherwise, everything runs well.

Oh, and I don't have "pinch to zoom" in Gmail.. checked in the settings, if I missed anything, but nothing... any ideas?
In GMail settings enable Auto-fit messages to enable pinch zooming.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lesicnik1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe