Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,368 Members 44,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HW video acceleration problem with 4.3

Tip us?

Nuno_PT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Default HW video acceleration problem with 4.3

Hi,

I've noticed that since android 4.3 something changed in terms of hardware video acceleration.

I used to watch movies on my Galaxy Nexus and the same movies that played nicely with 4.2.2, now stutter or lag with 4.3

I've tried with the latest MX Player and BS Player and even the internal stock video player. All do the same.
I used to play HD 720p videos and some 1080p videos without a single glitch, as long as HW or HW+ (MX Player) were enabled.

Now, after a few reencodes and tests I've come to the conclusion that the reference frames can't be higher than 5. An AVC video with ref frames of 6 and higher play with stuttering, but when in SW mode, they play OK.

You may download the samples to test:
H.264 HD 720p High@L4.1 ref frames 5
H.264 HD 720p High@L4.1 ref frames 6

Ref frames= 5 plays like it should, no problems with HW acceleration
Ref frames= 6 stutters, lags. Only plays nice with SW mode.

I've tried with a Galaxy Nexus of a friend, also with 4.3 and it happens as described.

Anyone would know why would Google break the acceleration, or how can I report this?

Thanks

Nuno
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuno_PT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AgusL
Old
(Last edited by AgusL; 12th August 2013 at 09:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, I just registered because I have the same problem. I even searched and tried a lot of apps and it doesn't matter, the result is always the same. My GNex plays some files very choppy.

I downloaded both videos you linked and tested with MX Player (with custom codec ARMv7 NEON)

Ref. frames 5 = Plays fine with HW+ and SW.
Ref. frames 6 = Plays choppy with HW+ and plays fine with SW.

I have a lot of playback problems with most video files, specially TV series rip from the scene (for example HDTV 720p rips from DIMENSION and other scenes group) and some other 720p BluRay releases and it stutters like hell in HW+. Some times HW it doesn't even work and with SW plays fine 10 or 20 seconds and then starts to stutter a lot to the point it is unwatchable.

Then if I test some 1080p movies (even 15gb files and over LAN) they play excellent. Some don't.

I tried everything, even forcing min. CPU freq. for MX Player with Franco Kernel and it's always the same.

I have Android 4.3 (clean install) and I tried with and without Franco Kernel and it doesn't matter.

Misledz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,344

DONATE TO ME
You have to understand 4.3 API is not easy. It's been almost a month since the release of 4.3 and there hasn't been a stable ROM, kernel yet. If that doesn't drop some enlightenment then you have to realize 4.2.2 took 8 months to perfect and reach where it is. Rather than blaming 4.3 how about you understand the coding that goes on behind it. The app developers never meant to focus solely on 4.3 they need to make sure that it doesn't cause instability for 4.2 and below, as there are tons of devices from different oem that react differently to small changes. Just be patient and the dev will sort it out. Quit making like little girls 'daddy I want it NOW NOW'. Be patient and eventually it will be fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Nuno_PT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Misledz, nobody's whining.
Both me and AgusL just pointed something that I haven't found discussed anywhere else.

The purpose of this thread is just to share one's experiences with this subject. I perfectly understand this is either a bug or a intended feature of 4.3. I just hope it's a bug because I'm used to watch a lot of movies on my GN and now they are unwatchable (battery-wise)

Would you be so kind to share your experience with your Nexus 4? Does it affect it also? I am just trying to figure out if this is PowerVR SGX540 related or if the Adreno 320 is also affected.

Thanks

Nuno

Thyrus
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,231
Using the Android Video Player and MX Player, I have no stuttering or lag on either of these 2 videos.
I have used MX Player and switched between HW and SW decoding and cannot see any issues.

My themes on Google Play

Carlos_Manuel
Old
Thanks Meter 4,301
on CM10.2 (unofficial) playing HQ/HD videos though MX by using HW or HW+ decoder.. makes videos laggy..
SW works perfectly..

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
(the best Android phone ever)
ROM: Dreams
Radio Baseband: I9250XXLJ1

Sony Xperia tablet Z (LTE):
10.5.A.0.230

Samsung jet:
My built CM7

Twitter || Facebook || YouTube: CarlosJacksonHD

Android for Samsung Jt:
http://code.google.com/p/android-for-jet/

madd0g
Old
Thanks Meter 696
I wish that people who discuss possible bugs and problems would firstly install Google stock Nexus image and test there, before flashing incomplete nightly ROM's and judge how the new system is.

FFS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madd0g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fux0r99
Old
Thanks Meter 99
No problem playing videos with latest MX player pro on stock 4.3 here, I think the problem is probably rom related if using a custom 4.3 rom.

Vinni Sanders
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Factory resetted Galaxy Nexus with OTA updated 4.3 firmware, and then reflashed to stock 4.3 firmware, and another GN OTA updated to stock 4.3, both displays severe glitches in hardware video decoding mode. Tested in the Dice Player and VLC Player with HW decoding enabled.

Video track info from the problem files:

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames

On the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 7 (1st gen) both with stock OTA updated 4.3 firmware exactly the same files played well in HW decoding mode.
Only Galaxy Nexus seems to be affected.
On the stock 4.2.2 firmware and CM 10.1.2 problem does not exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinni Sanders For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misledz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,344

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_PT View Post
Misledz, nobody's whining.
Both me and AgusL just pointed something that I haven't found discussed anywhere else.

The purpose of this thread is just to share one's experiences with this subject. I perfectly understand this is either a bug or a intended feature of 4.3. I just hope it's a bug because I'm used to watch a lot of movies on my GN and now they are unwatchable (battery-wise)

Would you be so kind to share your experience with your Nexus 4? Does it affect it also? I am just trying to figure out if this is PowerVR SGX540 related or if the Adreno 320 is also affected.

Thanks

Nuno
My apologies I didn't mean to make it sound like it's whining. I just see so many posts saying 4.3 is bad in the general section that they just get shut down. Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot, what I meant from experience was the 4.3 API just has a few restrictions unlike the open breeze the previous builds had. People and paranoia just request so many things that what's not broken ends up being broken due to changes. I felt it was unfair if I had not shared the experience.

On the GNexus and N4 I don't have that issue. I assume this was supposed to be kernel related since we are playing with builds that weren't supposed to be released for us. I've tried downloading a 1080p MKV file (I am Legend) and streamed it off an SMB server, and it played flawlessly on DicePlayer (GNexus) I had no stutter, subtitles loaded perfectly and I still got to see Will Smith fire some rounds in the air.

Have you given DicePlayer a go? I promise it's something not to look back upon