No registration required

[Q] Kernel Affecting Wifi and Network?

OP JamesPumaEnjoi

25th February 2013, 02:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Island N.Y.
Thanks Meter: 453

808 posts
I've looked this up many times with no definitive answers....I know what a kernel is and I know what a kernel does....but how does this affect WiFi or data speed in anyway? I've heard that it does and I've heard that it doesn't....any input? Thanks.
25th February 2013, 03:49 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,139

4,725 posts
More
Re: [Q] Kernel Affecting Wifi and Network?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPumaEnjoi

I've looked this up many times with no definitive answers....I know what a kernel is and I know what a kernel does....but how does this affect WiFi or data speed in anyway? I've heard that it does and I've heard that it doesn't....any input? Thanks.

WiFi is obviously affected since the WiFi module is in the kernel: better, updated code, tweaks, may bring further optimisations to a piece of hardware;
It shouldn't affect data speeds directly though, unless you're thinking about TCP congestion algorithms - but don't quote me on this one.
Even UV might affect it the radio itself: my Nexus looses radio connection intermittently if I lower the voltage of the lowest step too much.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay201 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2013, 02:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Island N.Y.
Thanks Meter: 453

808 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk201doesntexist

WiFi is obviously affected since the WiFi module is in the kernel: better, updated code, tweaks, may bring further optimisations to a piece of hardware;
It shouldn't affect data speeds directly though, unless you're thinking about TCP congestion algorithms - but don't quote me on this one.
Even UV might affect it the radio itself: my Nexus looses radio connection intermittently if I lower the voltage of the lowest step too much.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread