Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 51,707 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] losing wifi connectivity- full bars but all gray

Tip us?
 
tgeery
Old
(Last edited by tgeery; 22nd February 2013 at 03:41 PM.) Reason: added static config info
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default [Q] losing wifi connectivity- full bars but all gray

so, I've read around here on the XDA forum about problems with wifi connectivity where we have full bars for wifi but they are gray and you are not getting out. many describe my situation but I've not seen any real solutions...

my problem is that I can connect to my wifi router without issue but then a random amount of time later, sometimes fairly quickly and sometimes it's hours later, I will pick up the phone and see full bars but they are gray and I'm not getting out. I can try opening a terminal window and pinging the gateway/dns servers and can't even reach the gateway.

things I have tried:
- turned off MAC filtering on the wifi AP
- switched from a 5 GHZ wifi on the AP to 2.4 GHZ net on the AP and vice versa
- manually set the phone wifi preference to one or the other (5 or 2.4)
- battery pull on the phone
- delete network settings for my AP and reconfigure

I have not yet tried a static IP config on the phone but I can easily try that... {edited to add} well, I tried static config and that didn't help at all...

one other tidbit of info, I have a work Blackberry with wifi and it never loses wifi connectivity so this is a problem unique to my Nexus.

I'm running Cyanogen 10.0.0-toro and no, I haven't tried a full wipe and reload yet.

thoughts or suggestions?
 
jrmacarthur
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2011
I'm not trying to threadjack here, but I just wanted to share my experiences.

I've been have the exact same thing happen to my phone (Nexus maguro). I've tried every JB rom I could find, several different kernels and my wifi eventually always goes grey on me. All network activities stop. I'm back on stock everything right now and it still happens.

It happens on my home wifi as well as work wifi.

I'm about to puttstock ICS on my phone and try that out for a couple days.

Anyway, good luck with your problems, i'm going to follow this thread in hopes you'll get a solution that may help me.

If I do figure anything out i'll post back.
 
tgeery
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmacarthur View Post
I'm not trying to threadjack here, but I just wanted to share my experiences.

I've been have the exact same thing happen to my phone (Nexus maguro). I've tried every JB rom I could find, several different kernels and my wifi eventually always goes grey on me. All network activities stop. I'm back on stock everything right now and it still happens.

It happens on my home wifi as well as work wifi.

I'm about to puttstock ICS on my phone and try that out for a couple days.

Anyway, good luck with your problems, i'm going to follow this thread in hopes you'll get a solution that may help me.

If I do figure anything out i'll post back.
seems that this is a topic that has been posted on a bit over time with no real single culprit or fix. I'll post back if I figure anything out... I know in the Cyanogen thread, I saw info that stated that the MAC address of the phone was changing and I'm going to try and determine if that is happening to mine.
 
M3drvr
Old
#4  
M3drvr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 781
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
I have the same issue. Sometimes even when i pick up the phone, if i look fast enough i see that the Wi-Fi bars weren't even there! Thats only 1 out of 5 times though. The other time its usually just grey bars. Sometimes it actually will click back and they'll flash to blue and grey 2-3 times and then go solid blue. Then sometimes like you, they'll stay grey. I've tried everything too...reverting to stock, Different kernels, ROMs, routers, static IP, 2.4 or 5ghz, full auto mode. The only fix that makes it a little more reliable, is using Wi-Fi PM Fast. But even that, is not reliable. I'd say its about 50% reliable then, for a huge sacrfice in battery life. For me i've noticed this started to happen with 4.2. Before that i never had a problem. All other devices though no problem. My Nexus 7 is just fine. But the galaxy nexus, no matter what router or where i am, the Wi-Fi is totally unreliable. For me, it happens within 2 minutes that it will disconnect most times. Then 1 in 10 times it'll be fine for 10 hours.

In all honesty, i've given up. Just come to deal with it. Use mobile networks when i'm not needing to download. I can download files and stream music just fine too. If there is traffic going through, it never disconnects. But when its just sitting there without traffic, it disconnects, or, loses connection to google servers i should say.
 
tgeery
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Aug 2012
well that's not good to hear...
 
jrmacarthur
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: [Q] losing wifi connectivity- full bars but all gray

I installed stock 4.0.4 a couple days ago and have not had my wifi go grey on me yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
tgeery
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 86
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmacarthur View Post
I installed stock 4.0.4 a couple days ago and have not had my wifi go grey on me yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
yeah, I love Cyanogen so not willing to go back to stock... waiting for them to finish 10.1 and I guess I'll see how it behaves then.
 
WitchMX
Old
#8  
WitchMX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 156
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hi all,

Just to say that I have the same problem. I have been upgraded from ICS to 4.2 and nothing had happened but I had to downgrade to 4.1.1 (AOKP Build 4) due to other issues and after that I started notice the WiFi problem.

At first I thought it was when the screen went off, but I has happened with screen on too. I have to turn WiFi off and the back on to connect properly again, very annoying.

As I said I started noticing this after I downgraded, but then again, I had used AOKP 4.1.1 before without this issue. I think that it is time to change my phone :/


Starting Line Up: Samsung Galaxy S 4, Galaxy Note 10.1
Warming the bench: Galaxy Nexus, Sony Xperia S
 
jale2ice
Old
(Last edited by jale2ice; 28th February 2013 at 04:37 AM.)
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeery View Post
so, I've read around here on the XDA forum about problems with wifi connectivity where we have full bars for wifi but they are gray and you are not getting out. many describe my situation but I've not seen any real solutions...

my problem is that I can connect to my wifi router without issue but then a random amount of time later, sometimes fairly quickly and sometimes it's hours later, I will pick up the phone and see full bars but they are gray and I'm not getting out. I can try opening a terminal window and pinging the gateway/dns servers and can't even reach the gateway.

things I have tried:
- turned off MAC filtering on the wifi AP
- switched from a 5 GHZ wifi on the AP to 2.4 GHZ net on the AP and vice versa
- manually set the phone wifi preference to one or the other (5 or 2.4)
- battery pull on the phone
- delete network settings for my AP and reconfigure

I have not yet tried a static IP config on the phone but I can easily try that... {edited to add} well, I tried static config and that didn't help at all...

one other tidbit of info, I have a work Blackberry with wifi and it never loses wifi connectivity so this is a problem unique to my Nexus.

I'm running Cyanogen 10.0.0-toro and no, I haven't tried a full wipe and reload yet.

thoughts or suggestions?
I'm on Muzzy 4.2.2 and I'm currently having the same problem. It's not a new problem since I remember having it months ago (disabled my phone's WiFi because I kept missing emails and other notifications - grew tired of dealing with it). I thought it was my router, so I swapped it with a newer one recently, but it carried forward (old router was TRENDnet Draft N and the new one is ASUS RT-N66U).

I would like to know how to properly troubleshoot this problem.
 
subhramani
Old
#10  
subhramani's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 145
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
I'm glad I didnt have to create a thread for this. I have been facing this problem quite a lot. I can confirm that WiFi works absolutely fine until 4.1.2, whether it is stock or CM10 (I havent tried the other ROMs yet). I have faced this problem only from 4.2. It still exists on 4.2.2. Happens on all the ROMs I have tried till now including CM10.1 nightly as well as the stock factory image.

When the phone is sleeping, it seems to lose WiFi connectivity and when woken up, the WiFi bars is grey though it is full. If I am very lucky, it will turn blue automatically. Most of the times, I have to switch WiFi off and back on for it to connect properly.

Anyone knows the root cause for this? In case this has been discussed in any other thread?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more

Make Your Own DIY Capacitive Stylus

The XDA Portal is a place where we like to talkabout things that are interesting, fun, and sometimes … more