Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] LuneOS Dualboot on Gnex?

Tip us?

whoshotjr2006
Old
(Last edited by whoshotjr2006; 3rd September 2014 at 09:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
I just saw the news on Engadget and came here to see if anyone was talking about this. I'm going to try this out since my GNex is mainly just sitting in a box now. I miss webOS.

The only thing I wonder about is that I have a Verizon GNex. If I don't use it for calls or anything, does it matter if I flash the Maguro version? I remember I was in the same boat with the Ubuntu phone port but I think I waited for the Toro port. I can't remember.
im flashing it on a toroplus right now, gonna let you guys know how it goes when it finishes. on a related note, make sure to wipe /system before you flash, because the updater script doesnt do that. i had cm11 installed on there before and forgot to do it, so im reflashing clean now.

also, it looks like at least some of the android file system is retained, so that means we may be able to get data working by pulling libs from a 4.2.2 rom. dont quote me on that, ill try it and see what happens when i get this thing to boot. I pulled apart the boot.img and nothing seems to be stopping us there either from what I can tell.

edit: as much as i wish this worked, dont waste time flashing it if your not a maguro device. doesnt boot on toroplus, prolly wont boot on toro either.
Devices I've owned in the past

Blackberry 7520>HTC Apache>HTC Touch Pro>Palm Pre>HTC Vogue>HTC G1>Moto Q>HTC Hero CDMAx2>HTC Evo 4g>Kyocera Rise>HTC One V CDMA>Samsung Epic 4g

Current: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Volt

Long Live the HeroC!

Roms I've Ported:

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshotjr2006 View Post
im flashing it on a toroplus right now, gonna let you guys know how it goes when it finishes. on a related note, make sure to wipe /system before you flash, because the updater script doesnt do that. i had cm11 installed on there before and forgot to do it, so im reflashing clean now.

also, it looks like at least some of the android file system is retained, so that means we may be able to get data working by pulling libs from a 4.2.2 rom. dont quote me on that, ill try it and see what happens when i get this thing to boot. I pulled apart the boot.img and nothing seems to be stopping us there either from what I can tell.

edit: as much as i wish this worked, dont waste time flashing it if your not a maguro device. doesnt boot on toroplus, prolly wont boot on toro either.
That's too bad. What are you getting when it tries to boot? Have you let it sit for a while before coming to that conclusion? Maybe it doesn't have any sort of booting indication.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsgraphicart For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drfandroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Update: I ended up going for it, and flashed the stable build onto my maguro. Worked, but none of the apps would open again after I had closed them for some reason (If I wanted to open Preware 2 again, I had to reboot the device...). The dev build wouldn't boot at all after flashing, so I'm running on the August 10th stable build.
Primary Device: Bell HTC One M7 (not rooted)
Backup: Galaxy Nexus (yakju) (latest CM11 nightly)
Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 (unrooted)
Rooted Old Devices: Xperia x10i, HTC Desire Z, Galaxy SII,Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Tab10.1
_______
If you wanna talk Android, hit me up with a message, I'm always eager to discuss the latest rumors, reviews, releases etc.!
The Following User Says Thank You to drfandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whoshotjr2006
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's too bad. What are you getting when it tries to boot? Have you let it sit for a while before coming to that conclusion? Maybe it doesn't have any sort of booting indication.
sorry it took so long to reply, but yep i waited 10 minutes for adb or any indication that it was going to boot. after reading drfandroid's post about getting august 10ths build to boot and not being able to get the newest nightly to boot, im thinking thats my problem too. ill try to use the one mentioned and see if i get different results.

Blackberry 7520>HTC Apache>HTC Touch Pro>Palm Pre>HTC Vogue>HTC G1>Moto Q>HTC Hero CDMAx2>HTC Evo 4g>Kyocera Rise>HTC One V CDMA>Samsung Epic 4g

Long Live the HeroC!

Roms I've Ported:

The Following User Says Thank You to whoshotjr2006 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1,398
Quote:
sorry it took so long to reply, but yep i waited 10 minutes for adb or any indication that it was going to boot. after reading drfandroid's post about getting august 10ths build to boot and not being able to get the newest nightly to boot, im thinking thats my problem too. ill try to use the one mentioned and see if i get different results.
Well that sucks. Hopefully someone picks up development for this device. I'd like to try it out eventually. I have an HP Touchpad but it has Android on it as well. I havent looked into it yet but installing this might need a full wipe. I don't want to go through the hassel of starting all over again. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to jsgraphicart For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drfandroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Well that sucks. Hopefully someone picks up development for this device. I'd like to try it out eventually. I have an HP Touchpad but it has Android on it as well. I havent looked into it yet but installing this might need a full wipe. I don't want to go through the hassel of starting all over again. lol
You're right, flashing it on your nexus pretty much requires a full wipe lol. The Gnex doesn't have dual-boot capability for LuneOS (yet!! ). I asked in the comments of the announcement post. Fingers crossed for that, though! Really hoping a dev steps out and continues the project, even if it's just on the side.
Rooted Old Devices: Xperia x10i, HTC Desire Z, Galaxy SII,Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Tab10.1
_______
If you wanna talk Android, hit me up with a message, I'm always eager to discuss the latest rumors, reviews, releases etc.!
The Following User Says Thank You to drfandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drfandroid
Old
(Last edited by drfandroid; 8th September 2014 at 04:31 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Any luck with the August 10th build? My build can't activate developer options (Settings--> Developer Options, flicked the switch, still says "Developer mode is disabled"-->entered Konami Code into search, tapped on the dev mode result, nothing happened), so I can't activate USB Debugging or anything like that. On top of that, the phone takes forever to even boot into the Google screen, and I can't get into Recovery or Fastboot mode. In essence, even if I wanted to re-attempt to flash the nightly or go back to Android, I can't. I was hoping to go try the PA 4.6 Beta on my Gnex, so I was a bit gutted. Any ideas??
_______

whoshotjr2006
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfandroid View Post
Any luck with the August 10th build? My build can't activate developer options (Settings--> Developer Options, flicked the switch, still says "Developer mode is disabled"-->entered Konami Code into search, tapped on the dev mode result, nothing happened), so I can't activate USB Debugging or anything like that. On top of that, the phone takes forever to even boot into the Google screen, and I can't get into Recovery or Fastboot mode. In essence, even if I wanted to re-attempt to flash the nightly or go back to Android, I can't. I was hoping to go try the PA 4.6 Beta on my Gnex, so I was a bit gutted. Any ideas??
yep no luck for me here, mine just wont boot into it at all. I can still access fastboot though, holding both volume buttons from and power from completely off doesnt get you into fastboot? if your volume button hardware has gone bad, i know you can buy new on ebay for cheap, might have to do that. sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope you get it fixed somehow.

Long Live the HeroC!

Roms I've Ported: