5,593,401 Members 36,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Network / IMEI Problem

Tip us?

Chaosin1983
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you both for trying to fix this, this just went beyond my knowledge now, I will be watching this thread and waiting if you guys can come up with something...i am SO dissapointed that this is happening to my Galaxy Nexus...

Once again I have NO signal, NO IMEI, NO baseband...I tried reflashing a couple of radios and no luck...

HUGE thanks to both...

jamiescott23
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosin1983 View Post
Thank you both for trying to fix this, this just went beyond my knowledge now, I will be watching this thread and waiting if you guys can come up with something...i am SO dissapointed that this is happening to my Galaxy Nexus...

Once again I have NO signal, NO IMEI, NO baseband...I tried reflashing a couple of radios and no luck...

HUGE thanks to both...
I just bought a new Galaxy Nexus. And I don't wanna experience the same problem. What should i do? Is there a way to backup files containing IMEI and if any problem occurs i can restore them?

Thanks in advance.

thiagodark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiescott23 View Post
I just bought a new Galaxy Nexus. And I don't wanna experience the same problem. What should i do? Is there a way to backup files containing IMEI and if any problem occurs i can restore them?

Thanks in advance.
at the moment nobody knows what is this problem and why it happens... so just be lucky! =o)

oh, and meanwhile, make a efs backup, the easiest way is this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510906

=o)
>fastboot flash comment xdathread.img
>adb push engrish /system/brain/

samsung galaxy nexus
rom: stock
kernel: stock
The Following User Says Thank You to thiagodark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thiagodark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jup007 View Post
What this does is gives rild (radio interface Samsung daemon) chance to rebuid /factory from .nv_core backup. It knows how to do it, but normally can't do it on startup, since /factory is ro mounted. By mounting it rw, deleting files that are broken and killing daemon (which is service, so it gets restarted by android magicaly almost immediatelly), it gets chance. So try this. If you don't have busybox, just do ps, find rild there and PID number and do kill <PID>.

If this doesn't help, your secondary backup .nv_core.bak is also broken or it's really HW issue. In either case, this would require special tools to fix. But this is worth trying as last resort. I did it on my phone just to test this theory again.

EDIT: And I don't believe it's HW issue. If it was, generic IMEI wouldn't work. But it does for you and generic IMEI is nothing else then nv_data.bin that is hardcoded somewhere in the system to be used if factory doesn't exist. But if your /factory is broken and you don't have backup, you'd still need SPTBox or something similar to generate new files from scratch. So send it to somebody or find some Samsung repair place...

i tried what you said and i had no luck...

i don't think efs files are broken because i can make my imei, baseband, imei sv, etc appears by removing battery for 5 minutes, what i can't do is reboot or try to use 3g network, because it makes signal and i need to pull the battery again...

when i deleted /factory the problem was exactly the same: unknown imei, baseband... and when a pulled my battery for 5 minutes everything came back, but with a "0049" imei...

i'm thinking: what could cause unknown imei, baseband... that 5 minutes without battery can fix? i believe the problem is not on efs files, as a matter of fact, it is the akward problem i have seen...

i still gonna searching for an answer...

thanks for your help

samsung galaxy nexus

jamiescott23
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagodark View Post
at the moment nobody knows what is this problem and why it happens... so just be lucky! =o)

oh, and meanwhile, make a efs backup, the easiest way is this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1510906

=o)
Mate, they have saved another phone's IMEI to mine, it's complicated in turkey. Otherwise you can't use phone in Turkey. You need to buy it in Turkey. If otherwise, you should register it with your passport that proves you have gone abroad in the last 30 days.

Anyway, there was no IMEI and baseband. I just went back to factory settings and it came back. REstarted it a few times to see if i'll see same problem as you did, NOT YET.

But i can return the phone. What should i do?

Chaosin1983
Old
(Last edited by Chaosin1983; 12th May 2012 at 09:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Any progress guys? I'm loosing my patience with this thing, I've been seconds from throwing it against the wall...

I've noticed that sometimes when my signal goes out after having signal (when I do have IMEI and Baseband), I can see that the Airplane Mode is ON on the Power Menu and greyed out, but unchecked in the settings menu,Could it be that it is rather an issue with the Airplane mode auto triggering itself? Any ideas?

Edit: it just happened again, I flashed radio XXLA2...it worked ok for a while, and out of the blue, i have no signal...if I check the power menu, it has airplane mode ON, but grayed out, in the settings the checkbox is unchecked.

Edit2: did a factory restore...and so far (last 30 mins) I've had solid signal.

guard3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same issue here and I was alone http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1618163

thiagodark
Old
(Last edited by thiagodark; 14th May 2012 at 12:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
well guys, i'm giving up, just can't figure out what the hell is wrong with this phone i really think is a soft issue and it's related with 3g modem but i don't have knowledge enought to make a proper solution...

it's "nice" to know that i'm not the only one with this issue, so maybe someone clever than me could figure out how to fix...

it's really disappointing...

oh, and if someone could post a good /efs backup would it would be really great, i don't believe the problem is there, but i could know for sure! =o)

samsung galaxy nexus

thiagodark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosin1983 View Post
Any progress guys? I'm loosing my patience with this thing, I've been seconds from throwing it against the wall...

I've noticed that sometimes when my signal goes out after having signal (when I do have IMEI and Baseband), I can see that the Airplane Mode is ON on the Power Menu and greyed out, but unchecked in the settings menu,Could it be that it is rather an issue with the Airplane mode auto triggering itself? Any ideas?

Edit: it just happened again, I flashed radio XXLA2...it worked ok for a while, and out of the blue, i have no signal...if I check the power menu, it has airplane mode ON, but grayed out, in the settings the checkbox is unchecked.

Edit2: did a factory restore...and so far (last 30 mins) I've had solid signal.

try to disabke data over mobile network in "wireless and network options" and see if signal drops...

samsung galaxy nexus

Chaosin1983
Old
(Last edited by Chaosin1983; 14th May 2012 at 04:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
OK I got something new I think...

So i did a total factory restore right... back to 4.0.1 that came with the phone...I waited until Android asked me to update OTA, signal was stable with 4.0.1 so I waited a few hours to install 4.0.2...after installing it, I left it for a few hours, and signal was still stable...then I installed the OTA 4.0.4...and within half an hour I had the same problem...signal dropping, no baseband, no IMEI...so I'm pretty sure is 4.0.4 that is messing with my phone.

So I went back to 4.0.2 (radio XXKK6 which comes with the update)...and then installed AOKP M4...which is 4.0.3...so far (the weekend) signal has been OK, not totally stable, but say 95% stable, it will sometimes switch back to 2G, and within seconds go back to HSDPA. I do get the dropped signal once in a while (a few seconds, or needing a reboot once or twice), if I pull up the power menu while the signal is out, i can actually see the airplane mode switching between on and off, and after a few seconds it will stay off, and I will have signal again...

I am convinced that something is autotriggering the airplane mode...is there a way completely remove the airplane mode?

I know it is not a solution, but at least it will make the phone work as a phone again, I'll just wait for the next Android update and see if they worked this out.

Hope this helps.

Can you guys replicate what I did and see if yours works the same?

PS: pulling the battery for 5 minutes (or more) does not return my signal/iemi/baseband...