Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Network Selection Issue (T-Mobile)

OP Stretlow

29th March 2012, 11:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
825 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Hi,

For 12 months i've been fighting with T-Mobile UK, insisting that theres an issue with their network and poor web speeds with their inept customer service team continuing to blame the handset (even though Ive had two handsets and tested my sim card in others).

Anyway yesterday I finally cracked it, its to do with T-Mobile sharing with Orange.

When I set the network to automatic, most of time it reverts to "T-Mobile Orange" on this I get les than 0.5 meg download speeds however if I manually change it to just the "t-mobile" network I get 4 meg which is what it should be.

The problem is however my Nexus reverts back to Automatic randomly which puts me on Oranges' poor network.

T-Mobile are refusing to help and are insiting I just need to manually select the network despite me saying my phone reverts

My question is, how can I ensure that my nexus only uses the t-mobile network and doesnt revert back to auto?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stret
29th March 2012, 05:35 PM   |  #2  
Puzzlegirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 196
 
372 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow

Hi,

For 12 months i've been fighting with T-Mobile UK, insisting that theres an issue with their network and poor web speeds with their inept customer service team continuing to blame the handset (even though Ive had two handsets and tested my sim card in others).

Anyway yesterday I finally cracked it, its to do with T-Mobile sharing with Orange.

When I set the network to automatic, most of time it reverts to "T-Mobile Orange" on this I get les than 0.5 meg download speeds however if I manually change it to just the "t-mobile" network I get 4 meg which is what it should be.

The problem is however my Nexus reverts back to Automatic randomly which puts me on Oranges' poor network.

T-Mobile are refusing to help and are insiting I just need to manually select the network despite me saying my phone reverts

My question is, how can I ensure that my nexus only uses the t-mobile network and doesnt revert back to auto?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stret

I'm sorry I can't help you, but this is interesting. My GNex *never* switches onto T-Mobile Orange unless I force it manually. I had come to think that the Automatic function just doesn't work as my phone is happy to sit there with a totally lost signal. I've found T-Mobile's customer service a million times better than O2, but they're all inept really and if they can't troubleshoot from a list of problems they are incapable of using their brains. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
29th March 2012, 07:40 PM   |  #3  
GR36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 142
 
580 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
If you are on tmo-orange signal then you are only on 2g.

The better option would be to change the signal to 3g only. This will stay on tmobile. I have been in T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem with internet speeds. However bare in mind that you will be throttled if you use a lot on the web and walk package

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
29th March 2012, 07:54 PM   |  #4  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 79
 
296 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR36

If you are on tmo-orange signal then you are only on 2g.

The better option would be to change the signal to 3g only. This will stay on tmobile. I have been in T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem with internet speeds. However bare in mind that you will be throttled if you use a lot on the web and walk package

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Wrong.

The 3G merger is complete. To be honest, I've only ever noticed appalling download speeds when roaming onto Orange once, but as you say reverting to normal T-Mobile fixes it.

I have mine set to stay on T-Mobile-Orange permanently and it never loses the setting, so it is possible to do.
29th March 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #5  
GR36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 142
 
580 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
It is far from complete. I do apologise if it'd complete in your area. Didn't take that into account. Buts not complete yet. Last time they showed me a display its was like Swiss cheese below humberside

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
30th March 2012, 11:56 AM   |  #6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 79
 
296 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR36

It is far from complete. I do apologise if it'd complete in your area. Didn't take that into account. Buts not complete yet. Last time they showed me a display its was like Swiss cheese below humberside

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Can only go from what I was told by T-Mobile (who provide my work phone) who warned of network disruption in December while the final parts of the 3G network were merged.
30th March 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
825 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegirl

I'm sorry I can't help you, but this is interesting. My GNex *never* switches onto T-Mobile Orange unless I force it manually. I had come to think that the Automatic function just doesn't work as my phone is happy to sit there with a totally lost signal. I've found T-Mobile's customer service a million times better than O2, but they're all inept really and if they can't troubleshoot from a list of problems they are incapable of using their brains. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It changes as soon as I move

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR36

If you are on tmo-orange signal then you are only on 2g.

The better option would be to change the signal to 3g only. This will stay on tmobile. I have been in T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem with internet speeds. However bare in mind that you will be throttled if you use a lot on the web and walk package

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

How do I change it to 3g only, this would obviously solve it



Quote:
Originally Posted by David Horn

Wrong.

The 3G merger is complete. To be honest, I've only ever noticed appalling download speeds when roaming onto Orange once, but as you say reverting to normal T-Mobile fixes it.

I have mine set to stay on T-Mobile-Orange permanently and it never loses the setting, so it is possible to do.

I was told by a customer service agent just last night that i will be on 2g with Orange, maybe it is area specific.


Thanks for the responces though chaps

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes