Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,473 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

newbie- just got my new phone! so many questions!

Tip us?

unknown00
Old
(Last edited by unknown00; 21st April 2012 at 05:22 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default newbie- just got my new phone! so many questions!

first android phone coming from ios for the last many years

1. sms- how do i get notifications? i don't want that little icon on the top taskbar, i want a popup like the iphone so i will immediately know. i don't even get a notification in the lockscreen which i want. also quick reply somehow? same as missed calls, i want a big notification popup
2. contact/sms page- how do i get rid of the picture profile squares? it makes each line so "thick" and takes up too much room
3. quick way to put it to silent/vibrate only mode like iphone?
4. how do you actually exit an app? it seems like when i press any of the softkeys on the bottom (home or back) it just minimizes it and still has it running in the background
5. if i reflash rom, will i lose all my apps and settings? which rom do you suggest?
6. what are the advantages of giving me root access? examples or what i can do?
7. one big feature of iphone ios 5 is group sms, can android group sms with iphone users?
8. must have apps?

arzbhatia
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1822

DONATE TO ME
1. For SMS popup thing, you can go and download another messaging application like GoSMS from the market and set it's settings.
2. That can't happen, download GoContacts from the market?
3. Hold the volume down button or set a volume toggle on the homescreen o.O
4. Click on multitasking, swipe left or right to close an application.
5. Yes, you will. You can backup all your apps and system data through Titanium Backup from the market, google how to do that. I recommend AOKP.
6. Better speed, stability, customizations etc.
7. No, just download whatsapp
8. Don't know what you'll like
ParanoidAndroid Team - UI/UX Manager - Arz Bhatia
The Following User Says Thank You to arzbhatia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kg4zxk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Are you sure you wanted to leave iPhone? There are apps out there to do what you are asking for with pop ups, etc.... there are also SMS apps you can install to replace the standard one. Hands cent comes to mind for that.

To quickly go to vibrate press and hold power button. A window will open with the option for vibrate, airplane mode and power off options....

Hope this helps some what. I've had an iPhone 3G and 4. I came to Android for the freedom of not being locked into Steve Jobs view of how I should use my phone. I don't miss it. Give it time and you should see the same thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

king23adrianc
Old
Thanks Meter 139

DONATE TO ME
if ur that new to android... i dont think u should start flashing roms right now!!

read more, do more research cuz i dont want u to start another thread by telling us u brick ur phone.. wont start up.. those kinda things
The Following User Says Thank You to king23adrianc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kg4zxk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Oh... forgot. Android is a true multitasking system. Apps will run in background. I have heard if you press the back button instead of home to exit an app it will stop it. Don't know if that is true. Usually the os takes care of the processes for you.

Smokeey
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Learn to use your phone and become adjusted to the Android eco-system before you start talking about rooting.

Also, use GoSMS.

"the definition of open: 'mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make'" -Andy Rubin

Devices:
Droid Incredible
Samsung Galaxy Nexus[LTE]
LG G2[T-Mobile]

unknown00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzbhatia View Post
1. For SMS popup thing, you can go and download another messaging application like GoSMS from the market and set it's settings.
2. That can't happen, download GoContacts from the market?
3. Hold the volume down button or set a volume toggle on the homescreen o.O
4. Click on multitasking, swipe left or right to close an application.
5. Yes, you will. You can backup all your apps and system data through Titanium Backup from the market, google how to do that. I recommend AOKP.
6. Better speed, stability, customizations etc.
7. No, just download whatsapp
8. Don't know what you'll like
thank you for your reply
as for #3, is there another way to exit without going to that screen and swipe 1 by 1? because just now as i'm learning about my phone and opening up a bunch of stuff, i go to my multitask screen and have like 10 things i want to swipe and it's kinda annoying to do it 1 by 1

king23adrianc
Old
Thanks Meter 139

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
thank you for your reply
as for #3, is there another way to exit without going to that screen and swipe 1 by 1? because just now as i'm learning about my phone and opening up a bunch of stuff, i go to my multitask screen and have like 10 things i want to swipe and it's kinda annoying to do it 1 by 1
u call swiping 1 by 1 annoying?? u press multitask button once.. and u ready to swipe already..

from what i see, i think u used iphone before... and when u want to close apps, u have to double click home button... then hold down 1 icon.. then press X

i see how u define annoying now...

Ruxin
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
thank you for your reply
As I believe someone above said, there is no real reason to "kill" apps, or close them down completely.

My understanding is that apps are kept in a suspended state in the background after you back out of them, or hit the home button. They don't really chew any battery or resources, but by keeping them in the RAM the app opens faster the next time you need it, or remembers what you were doing/where you were within the app.

If the phone needs to free up that space for an active app, or services that you are using, then it will close it fully/remove it from RAM to make space and keep the phone running smoothly.

Again, this is my understanding... and if I'm wrong I'm happy to stand corrected by more knowledgeable users.

As for a previous question about what "must have apps", I am a fan of Light Flow (which you can get in a free version) for customising the notification LED.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruxin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

modidlee
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
thank you for your reply
You're looking at Android from an iOS users perspective. Don't even worry about closing apps. Android is set up to know when to end processes/close apps. Even if you do completely close an app it'll just take longer to start that app when you need it again. Let the OS handle that stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
Stock 4.0.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi
Rooted running AOKP 28

The Following User Says Thank You to modidlee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]