Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 52,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 4 - SU not working anymore but binary present

Tip us?

skyraven83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 4 - SU not working anymore but binary present

Hi all,

I come with what is probably a silly question after I did not manage to stumble upon someone with the exact same situation while doing some googling around.
I have a Nexus 4, running the older Android 4.2.2 (did not update as I have some custom patches in there).
My phone has also been rooted for quite a while and working perfectly until recently something broke it (did not manage to find out when I broke it).
I have CWM installed and that is working fine.
I have SuperSu installed, now the latest version.

If I boot my phone into Recovery Mode and then I access it with the shell commands:
a) I mount the sdcard partition
b) I run
$ ./adb shell
~ # /system/xbin/su -
root@android:/ #

All works fine.

If I boot my phone normally and I run SuperSU, then I get: "no su binary installed" and the app kicks me out.
If I connect with ADB to it .. then I see that the binary is indeed in /system/xbin/su but trying to run it just doesn't do anything.
The process "freezes" and I don't get a command prompt anymore.
I can cancel it with CTRL+C and try to run it again but still ...nothing happens

This is one point where I am missing the Linux strace which I did not think of having here but would have enabled me to at least see what the SU binary is doing when it is not returning control to the command prompt or at least giving an error

Any idea what might be happening ?
Also..why is "su" working fine when called from the bootloader/CWM and why freezing when calling from the normal running system (aside from that funky error that no su binary is installed).

I tried so far flashing also an older version of SuperSU...same result, then went back to v1.94

Sorry if my problem is stupid but I don't seem to get my way around it...

skyraven83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I solved the first part by myself
Seems Xprivacy suddenly lost my preferences and was not allowing the running of su...

Now from the Terminal App on my Android, I can do: /system/xbin/su - and I get root.
But both SuperSU and SuperUser report that there's no SU binary....

Are they searching for it in some other path ?
I don't get it...
How can the binary not exist but if I run it by hand from the terminal app, everything works perfectly and I get to be root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraven83 View Post
Hi all,

I come with what is probably a silly question after I did not manage to stumble upon someone with the exact same situation while doing some googling around.
I have a Nexus 4, running the older Android 4.2.2 (did not update as I have some custom patches in there).
My phone has also been rooted for quite a while and working perfectly until recently something broke it (did not manage to find out when I broke it).
I have CWM installed and that is working fine.
I have SuperSu installed, now the latest version.

If I boot my phone into Recovery Mode and then I access it with the shell commands:
a) I mount the sdcard partition
b) I run
$ ./adb shell
~ # /system/xbin/su -
root@android:/ #

All works fine.

If I boot my phone normally and I run SuperSU, then I get: "no su binary installed" and the app kicks me out.
If I connect with ADB to it .. then I see that the binary is indeed in /system/xbin/su but trying to run it just doesn't do anything.
The process "freezes" and I don't get a command prompt anymore.
I can cancel it with CTRL+C and try to run it again but still ...nothing happens

This is one point where I am missing the Linux strace which I did not think of having here but would have enabled me to at least see what the SU binary is doing when it is not returning control to the command prompt or at least giving an error

Any idea what might be happening ?
Also..why is "su" working fine when called from the bootloader/CWM and why freezing when calling from the normal running system (aside from that funky error that no su binary is installed).

I tried so far flashing also an older version of SuperSU...same result, then went back to v1.94

Sorry if my problem is stupid but I don't seem to get my way around it...

skyraven83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
it seems in the end that it was all in xprivacy problem....
solved and now it is functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraven83 View Post
I solved the first part by myself
Seems Xprivacy suddenly lost my preferences and was not allowing the running of su...

Now from the Terminal App on my Android, I can do: /system/xbin/su - and I get root.
But both SuperSU and SuperUser report that there's no SU binary....

Are they searching for it in some other path ?
I don't get it...
How can the binary not exist but if I run it by hand from the terminal app, everything works perfectly and I get to be root.

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
Just so you know
The reason you probably did not get responses to this is because you posted it in Galaxy Nexus section and not Nexus 4 forums
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!