Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] NFC Tag writing after Google OTA patch

Tip us?

spences10
Old
(Last edited by spences10; 30th November 2011 at 09:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] NFC Tag writing after Google OTA patch

Has anyone been able to write any tags with their Galaxy Nexus handset yet with the software from the market?

I got these tags http://www.rfidshop.com/tamperproof-...-10-3132-p.asp

I'm trying to use NFC Task Launcher but it says the tag isn't the correct format, I also used a reader but that also says:

'This item is used blocked or not supported and cannot contain an NFC data set'

I have contacted the company that supplied me the tags and they are happy to refund me but after further correspondence with them I have confirmed I have indeed bought the correct tags

So before I send them back I'd like to know if it's just down to ICS and the new hardware

Update 1:

I have now tried several NFC apps from the market some say the tag is unlocked some say it write protected I have tried writing to one and the app said complete but when I touch the tag again it just prompts to write to it again =/

I'm hoping it's the tags and I have somehow got a corrupted batch, I need to find somewhere I can test the tags independently of the Galaxy Nexus to rule it out

Anyone have any Ideas?

Update 2:

Issue raised with Google by user krohnjw [thanks ]
From the android bug tracker
"Thanks for the report. We're aware of this issue, and it will be fixed in next upcoming release."

Update 3:

Have just applied the patch .zip and tried one of the tags from TagsFroDroid.com and it's still the same issue where the tag isn't recognised by the handset!!!
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

spences10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
is it just me that has tried this then?
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

redmongoose
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Looks like it ;)

Once mine turns up, I'll be trying it too. I was also planning to order from the same company as you as well, so I'll be keeping a watch on this before ordering.

grizlore
Old
(Last edited by grizlore; 21st November 2011 at 07:42 PM.) Reason: didnt read the original post, do deleted a dumb question
Thanks Meter 10
Hi spences10

I think you and I have crossed paths with the Mighty Dell Streak (Great device, make the SGN look tiny Glad you are onboard with the SGN)

Your idea looks interesting, sorry i cant help, but it is a free bump for you.

Can you tell me where you got these tags from, and how much they were please?

Are they rewritable one?

Good luck
Regards

GriZlore

spences10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizlore View Post
Hi spences10

I think you and I have crossed paths with the Mighty Dell Streak (Great device, make the SGN look tiny Glad you are onboard with the SGN)

Your idea looks interesting, sorry i cant help, but it is a free bump for you.

Can you tell me where you got these tags from, and how much they were please?

Are they rewritable one?

Good luck
Hi grizlore good to hear from you again dude

The company that does the tags is linked in the main post, I'll link you the exact page if you like

From talking to the guy at the company they are the right tags for what we want to write to with the galaxy nexus

I have started the thread to find if its the tags or of the software needs updating

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

s.m.knipe
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Sorry, I'd love to be able to have tried it, but the Carriers (?- I think, maybe Google/Samsung) are dragging their feet here in the States...

Forgive my ignorance, but what frequencies do the NFC tags/transponder use? Is there variation or changes in the standards over time (i.e. the phone's hardware and tags match right?)? How were they packaged, were they shielded from anything that might have interfered with the tags?

I don't know much about the NFC systems, but this is one of the features I am most excited for (sadly I skipped the Nexus S last year). And I can't wait to play around with this...

spences10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Just a tag out of the package tapped it against the back of the phone and it pops up saying its incompatible

I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Chirality
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Sorry this doesn't relate to your problem, but since you are knowledgeable about NFC tags, do you know if it's possible to use the NFC in the GN to read an RFID tag in an ID card, store that, and then let me use the phone in place of the ID card to get accesses to card readers that read the ID card?

Fred23
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I couldn't get NFC Launcher to work, but could read my UK Oyster travel card (MIFARE) using NXP TagInfo. I couldn't do much with it though - maybe because it's encrypted.

There are quite a few types of RFID tags. Many simple ones are 125kHz and these can store the data in different formats. NFC uses 13.56MHz along with some other RFID tags.

briguyd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is very upsetting if true. Hopefully it's either a non-issue or will be fixed with a software update. I ordered a Nexus and some NFC tags, so next week I should be able to test this.