Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?
Yes 2 20.00%
No 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

[Off-topic] If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?

Tip us?

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,048
I will say, I never look at the 'Thanks Meter'. If you need a signature with 'If I've helped, click thanks' then you're just out for the numbers...
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MBQ_
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 23,071

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Off-topic] If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
I will say, I never look at the 'Thanks Meter'. If you need a signature with 'If I've helped, click thanks' then you're just out for the numbers...
Hahahah, that's so true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

95Z28
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Default Re: [Off-topic] If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respe

I mostly always use xda app so ranks/posts/thanks aren't readily visible, but even when they are known I simply respect those that are respectful. On my last phones forum I lost quite a bit of respect for some of the devs actually just for their portrayed superior attitudes. If you don't like someone coming in and asking a repeat question (which I do understand can be frustrating) just ignore them, all the flaming just intensifies the problem.

I also agree about signatures asking for thanks, while I enjoy seeing my thanks meter go up it doesn't actually mean anything in the grand scheme of things. And while I'll still give a thanks if I appreciate the post, I'm less inclined too when the person asks for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to 95Z28 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
WiredPirate Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hell no thanks don't matter. Anyone who's ever been to OT knows that the number of thanks a member has doesn't have anything to do with how knowledgeable they are.

As far as a contributor or dev, I don't judge somebody by the color of their name, I'm not a namecist.

Anyways the majority of posts and questions are more user related, so they do not require someone with vast knowledge of coding/themeing/etc. Anyone can answer a thread like HLP BATTRY FUUUU!, not just a "higher ranked user".

namtombout
Old
Thanks Meter 506
Having all of the requirements and becoming recognized should grant that user immediate respect. Devs too.

Users with hella post and thanks have probably seen a thing or two so they get respect but you gotta watch some of em lol

namtombout ebonically translated is "know what im talking about"
I AM WHO I AM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namtombout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

063_XOBX
Old
Thanks Meter 1,751
I wouldn't "instantly" respect anyone. Respect isn't something that should be just given away, people who actually deserve it get it.
Use this LINK to join Dropbox and gain an extra 500mb. Oh and I get it too!

Buy and Sell Bitcoins on Coin Base Free $5.00 worth of BItcoins with your first $100+ purchase

I DO NOT answer technical question via PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 063_XOBX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scottx .
Old
Thanks Meter 775

Well yeah I guess. Only higher than me is RD, RC and Moderator. Senior Member status is earned by such a small amount of posts that I think it should be raised to 1,000 posts. It should be something that takes longer to achieve.
Google Nexus 5 (16gb, hammerhead (D820(H) (rev_11)))
Google Nexus 4 (16gb, mako (rev_11))
Google Nexus 7 (2013) (16gb, flo)
LG G2 (32gb, D-801)

M. Scott @ Google Play. (Zooper Skins)

MBQ_
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 23,071

DONATE TO ME

Thanks for all of your responses guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBQ_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ben.nesheim
Old
Thanks Meter 202
i look at EVERYTHING. sig, info in the sig, posts, thanks(meaning what you were thanked for), join date and then i'll also look at past posts ... ESPECIALLY if the person is trolling. even if it wasnt intentional trolling.

there are some people tho that have 10k posts because all they post is "SEARCH" ten times or bump their friends threads all the time. and then thats why they have 100k thanks. that person i will flame til deaths end and its because they are the people that are detrimental to this community. I admit my stats arent the greatest here but mostly because i have been using forums for the past ten years and have decided I have better things in my life to pick on people that are on the internet. I am here to help people out.

thanks mbq likin this post
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Stock/
Samsung Galaxy S 4 SGH-I337 4.4.2 GPE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked GSM) - PA 4.3+leanKernel
HTC EVO 4G - Retired still works actually!
Blackberry Bold 9650
Blackberry Tour 9630
iPhone 3GS
HTC Hero
Blackberry Curve 8330m
wow....ok im gonna stop Lolz
The Following User Says Thank You to ben.nesheim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

02ranger
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQsniper View Post
It seems like the higher ranks get more respect

I don't necessarily automatically respect them, I just use the title and post count as a quick gauge of whether I should trust their opinion. That being said, I've seen a lot of people (like ben.nesheim said) that pad their post count with useless crap. There are a lot of people here that I know have high post counts that I don't trust on anything, and dread seeing their name in a thread. Then there are others that only have hundreds of posts (sometimes less) that are the most helpful and knowledgable people you'll find, they just don't post drivel. I think the title and post count are great quick indicators, but nothing more. Once you get into recognized developer or contributor territory, I give them a little more credit right off, but to me the respect still has to be earned.

And like EddyOS said, the signature tells you a LOT about a person. I make it a point not to hit the thanks button if your signature asks for it. We all know why its there, you don't need to remind me.

The Following User Says Thank You to 02ranger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]