5,598,980 Members 31,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is The problem with Sense?

Tip us?

enginmanap
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] What is The problem with Sense?

Hi All,

I have been reading that a fully functional Sense rom is not possible, and it is about kernels or such, But I am having trouble understanding the real problem. I tried digging the site for the reason, but searching HTC and Sense in a mobile developer forum hardly filters any entry, so please help me understand.

I am thinking as 3 layered structure, Linux kernel in the middle, drivers at the bottom and AOSP with sense modifications at the top.

The problem I am having is, since the kernel is GPL, how come nobody was able to glue all of them together. I am assuming the top part has some non standart calls/interfaces with the kernel, but it must be open source, so what is the part that makes patching same interfaces/calls to another kernel impossible?

If the calls require driver changes(taking in to account nearly all drivers are proprietary) that means we need same hardware of a sense device, but it possible if hardwares match, right?

The real question, is it not possible technically, too hard to implement practically or just won't worth the effort?

AndyYan
Old
Thanks Meter 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginmanap View Post
but it possible if hardwares match, right?
There isn't a single HTC device with OMAP4 CPU to my knowledge.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Nexus @ CM11

Current devices:
Google Nexus 4 (CM11 Nightly)
Google Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi) (CM11 Nightly)
Motorola Droid RAZR M (CM11 Nightly)
Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE (CM11 Nightly)
HTC Incredible S (CM11 Unofficial)
Tags
htc, rom, sense