5,596,857 Members 49,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Project Butter - Is it obvious to the naked eye?

Tip us?

jastonas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
Default Project Butter - Is it obvious to the naked eye?

People that installed Jelly Bean, do you see any increase in perfomance?

Write your opinions.
EVOLUTION
Quote:
iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC Desire > ZTE Blade > LG Optimus 2X (P990)> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)

JediDru
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Its not a performance gain. Its just as fast as before just not nearly as choppy. There is a video around here sums it up pretty well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

bajsmumsaren
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I do feel like it's snappier, but it's hard to say how much of it is just placebo for hearing about how much snappier it is. There's still some lag every now and then when bringing up the app drawer and such, but there's also graphical improvements that I think make up for everything (the "notification center" or whatever it's called is great).

killyouridols
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Although there is Lag in odd spots, I notice neater and smoother transition effects more then anything else. The Keyboard also dissappears when returning to the home screen immediatly rather then lurking on the home screen like it did in ICS. Nothing Major or Revolutionary, but generally neater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
As rooted users we have additional options.

Stock users are going to get backdoored without vaseline.
Phone: Samsung S4 GT-i9505
ROM : *6.4.2014* Samy Deluxe S4 ROM Galaxy S5 G by mrmad
Kernel: Jeboo Kernel V3

Wanna Donate? Tough, I dont have Paypal set-up and have done sod all TBH. Donate to one of the communties excellent Devs instead, make sure all the hard work is rewarded.

zyo
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I can tell a major difference after flashing jb.
in old rom chrome is not rendering smoothly when you flip through horizontal tabs comparing to vertical ones. now the problem is completely gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to zyo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

welshboy09
Old
Thanks Meter 3
From the off, the rom seems noticeably faster and smoother to me.

1. The new app transitions are fantastic. They fade in and out, which is quite slick.
2. The keyboard has ZERO lag, I didn't think it had any lag when I was running AOKP, but running the new JB rom, it's a lot faster again!
3. Home screen/App drawer transitions are a lot snappier. It is now on par with the transitions of an iPhone 4s (Compared with my friends earlier) No lag in the app drawer, even with all of my many apps installed.
4. Last but not least, scrolling long lists is buttery smooth for me Everything just seems so slick at the moment.

On a side note, some subtle changes, like when choosing default action, or long pressing on home screen look a lot nicer. The lock screen looks way cooler. And of course google now seems to be working great. (Aside from having to tell it to use English US, because its not fully functional in the UK)

Hope this helps anyone who was maybe sitting on the fence, I have been running AOKP since getting my nexus, Think is was build 11 or 12 I first had. I am now running Jelly-Belly by Team Inferno and have not even though about returning to AOKP. I will gladly return to AOKP when they release a stable JB update (which will likely be in August some time (JB Source to be released in mid July))
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welshboy09 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sjrp
Old
(Last edited by sjrp; 29th June 2012 at 01:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
+1 to earlier posts. I can confirm, the "flow" thanks to "Project Butter" is very much appearant to the naked eye. I doubt there is an Android device out there that has a smoother UI than the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean right now. Love it.

EDIT: The smoothness of live wallpapers seems to have been greatly improved as well. A live wallpaper called "Fresh Leaves" lagged quite bad when using AOKP 4.0. Now, with Jelly Bean - no lag at all
The Following User Says Thank You to sjrp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

welshboy09
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrp View Post
+1 to earlier posts. I can confirm, the "flow" thanks to "Project Butter" is very much appearant to the naked eye. I doubt there is an Android device out there that has a smoother UI than the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean right now. Love it.
Agreed, I also think it is definitely closer, if not on par with that of the iPhone and Windows 7 phones.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 936
Definitely solid 60 fps in more areas. My ics setup is probably 45-50fps solid. I noticed less quirky transitions in jelly bean but a few other odd quirks. Still it is overall smoother than ics. And could use a little more polish.

dnguyen1988
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I agree with what everyone has said. Its noticeably a little quicker but it wasn't like ICS was horrible. One thing no one has mentioned is that the delay when pulling up your recent apps is gone. Its now pretty much instant which makes multitasking better. I think everyone should try jb. I've been running stock rooted jb since Wednesday night and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Previous Devices:
Iphone 2g; Htc Touch Pro 2; G1; Mytouch 3G; Cliq; Vibrant; G2; HTC HD7; Mytouch 4g; LG G2x; HTC Sensation 4G; and T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2; Galaxy Nexus, and now Galaxy S3

The Following User Says Thank You to dnguyen1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]