5,595,000 Members 39,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about the $30 T-Mobile Unlimited data (Walmart) plan

Tip us?
 
ericshmerick
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 257
Posts: 1,439
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default Question about the $30 T-Mobile Unlimited data (Walmart) plan

I am getting fed-up with AT&T and am exploring options for my GNEX.

I was looking at the pre-paid T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data (up to 5 gigs, 2g speeds after). This seems like a good deal as I use little voice and nave Google Voice if necessary (via data network).

How does this work? Can I go to Walmart, buy the cheapest ($29) prepaid T-Mobile phone, activate with this $30 plan then toss my SIM in my GNEX and all will work?
 
rock7632
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 477
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston
I bought the Sim online from Amazon for $4 and activated it on t-mobile.com with that plan.worked without a hitch
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to rock7632 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ericshmerick
Old
(Last edited by ericshmerick; 28th November 2011 at 09:02 PM.)
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 257
Posts: 1,439
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock7632 View Post
I bought the Sim online from Amazon for $4 and activated it on t-mobile.com with that plan.worked without a hitch
Thanks. Have a link to the Amazon product? The one's I'm seeing have users complaining that they are old sim cards.

Also, can I take my GNEX to a T-Mobile store and have them sell me a sim for $4.99 (as listed on their site) and activate the unlimited data plan there?
 
voxigenboy
Old
#4  
voxigenboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 143
Posts: 1,569
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego
back in the day i bought some cheapie pre-paid Target T-Mob phone for like $20, took out the sim and put it into an HTC HD2 i got off of craigslist and it worked fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to voxigenboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jadeus0831
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 91
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hollywood
I thought I read it was a Walmart exclusive deal with T-Mobile, meaning only in Walmart stores or online... Feeling the same here about att and wanting to switch to the $30 plan.
 
rock7632
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 477
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
Thanks. Have a link to the Amazon product? The one's I'm seeing have users complaining that they are old sim cards.

Also, can I take my GNEX to a T-Mobile store and have them sell me a sim for $4.99 (as listed on their site) and activate the unlimited data plan there?
that plan is for Walmart and t-mobile.com only and not for T-Mobile stores. this is the one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Tmobi...2514224&sr=8-6

some reviews are saying that its an old Sim but it depends on the marketplace seller that you're buying from. the one I used, I forgot the name but it was compatible with Amazon prime, sent me a new one so it worked for that plan
Nexus 4
Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to rock7632 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Luxferro
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 310
Posts: 1,057
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
I have this plan. I bought it directly from T-Mobiles website. Works great for me cause I hardly use voice, and in the rare occasion that I might go over 100 minutes. its only 10 cents a minute more, so you'd probably never exceed the price of your current $60-$100 plan.

edit: this reminded me I need to call soon to cancel my even more plus plan that I have suspended wasting $10 a month.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxferro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ericshmerick
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 257
Posts: 1,439
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock7632 View Post
that plan is for Walmart and t-mobile.com only and not for T-Mobile stores.
Right, so does Walmart sell the SIM by itself? I don't want to purchase a phone just to throw it away (even if it's only $29). I'd like to run to Walmart today and try this out as I'm headed out of town tomorrow (and don't want to wait on Amazon 3rd party shipping).
 
clearym
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 42
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
I am getting fed-up with AT&T and am exploring options for my GNEX.

I was looking at the pre-paid T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data (up to 5 gigs, 2g speeds after). This seems like a good deal as I use little voice and nave Google Voice if necessary (via data network).

How does this work? Can I go to Walmart, buy the cheapest ($29) prepaid T-Mobile phone, activate with this $30 plan then toss my SIM in my GNEX and all will work?
I have this plan. I ordered my SIM directly from T-mobile.com and activated it thru their website. Just be sure that you don't order a SIM card only, you need an SIM Card + Activation Kit. The activation kit is just an activation code you'll enter when activating it online, but I'm not sure if there may be SIM cards for sale without activation kits.

Edit: I think I paid $6.99 thru T-mobile.com and it came with ~$3 to apply toward my plan. Not a bad price...
 
rock7632
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 477
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
Right, so does Walmart sell the SIM by itself? I don't want to purchase a phone just to throw it away (even if it's only $29). I'd like to run to Walmart today and try this out as I'm headed out of town tomorrow (and don't want to wait on Amazon 3rd party shipping).
when I went to Walmart to get this they told me that they only sell it with pre paid phones. Sim kit comes inside the phone box which is why I decided to buy online. choice was either straight from T-Mobile.com or Amazon. tmo was 6.99 and Amazon was cheaper with no tax and free shipping so I want with Amazon
Nexus 4
Nexus 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes