5,596,235 Members 35,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Radio seems to crash?

Tip us?

cloink
Old
(Last edited by cloink; 19th December 2012 at 12:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Radio seems to crash?

Device: European GSM model "YAKJU"
ROM: stock 4.2.1, freshly installed from Google provided image

I swiped my device a few weeks back, after a bad experiment. Reflashed the Google image and all was swell. Until a few days back, my phones radio seems to crash at arbitrary moments, yet very often.

Symptoms: good reception, able to use internet over EDGE/3G and all of a sudden no coverage whatsoever. Nothing then works: tried going into airplane mode and back, tried resetting the radio in the telephone info menu (*#*#4636#*#*), the only solution is to reboot the phone. Then we're back to square one: everything works for a short while (minutes at best) then zilch again. Very frustrating!

The funny thing is, the telephone info menu still gives me info about signal strength. Also, IMEI number is no problem, I still have one (seeing this seems to be a common issue).

I'm completely lost here. Why would my phone, all of a sudden, be doing this? Anyone? :-\ Is there a logfile somewhere I could look at (rooted phone), possibly telling me what's crashing exactly?

UPDATE: well, I thought swapping sims with a colleague would be a good idea to troubleshoot further (and make sure it wasn't a faulty sim card), but to my horror I now get no service whatsoever, even after a reboot! The phone doesn't even ask for a sim code... Yikes? Hardware failure or still possibly software? Would a factory reset do anything?

UPDATE2: Factory reset didn't help, at all. Same issue, no connection whatsoever.

UPDATE3: What the ****ing ****. I reflashed the stock Google image (again) and at first it seemed much worse: I no longer had a IMEI (*#06#). Hit the Google and saw nothing more than "ahh, sucks, send it for repair!". So I was preparing to do so, took out the battery to write down the serial, popped it back in, rebooted and... all is well now. IMEI is back and it seems to have and keep its connection now?! I don't have a single clue on as what and/or how though, but it sure as hell is no hardware issue. Google, get that **** together, this was your flagship phone! :\

UPDATE4: Spoke too soon. Scratch the previous update, I just lost all radio again. Back to square one!

cloink
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Noone?