Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Is your ADB working with the stock kernel after the 4.2.2 update?
Working fine, no issues 24 21.24%
Can no longer use adb 89 78.76%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

[Resolved] ADB No Longer Working on Android 4.2.2? - Update your ADB!

Tip us?

xaueious
Old
(Last edited by xaueious; 12th February 2013 at 09:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Default [Resolved] ADB No Longer Working on Android 4.2.2? - Update your ADB!

4.2.2 now enforces RSA authentication via ADB. This is only supported in later versions of ADB.

On Windows, you can see your local user profile folder's .android folder and see if there's a file called 'adbkey'.

Or use 'adb version' to see if you have the latest version. ADB version 1.0.31 is working.

Google just added this in the ADB protocol last November, so you need the NEWEST ADB:
https://github.com/android/platform_...ec78402096af2d

The keys for your hosts are stored at /data/misc/adb/adb_keys, I believe.

If your ADB works correctly, you will see this when you plug in for the first time. You may still have to reseat your cable.

(Pic credit to rickbosch)

This will not affect all of you.

But on the stock Android 4.2.2 kernel from Google, I cannot get adb to work (always shows 'adb offline') on the stock kernel. This is with my laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad), and I never had issues with this before with the same setup.

My current workaround is to use a custom kernel for 4.2.2 (thanks to renaud for delivering)

A custom Fugumod kernel that works with 4.2.2 and does not have this issue with ADB:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2167

Stable builds (future?):
http://fugumod.org/galaxy_nexus/stable-4.2.2/

Please report back with the PC/Mac and possibly the cable you are using, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip android-adb_fastboot-16.01.zip - [Click for QR Code] (539.1 KB, 22229 views)
Past devices: HTC Dream (Rogers), Acer Liquid E, HTC EVO3D GSM, HTC Panache (international myTouch4G), Huawei Ideos U8150, Rogers HTC Magic (myTouch3G variant)

Current devices: Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM (i9250), ASUS Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3 i747m (Telus), Huawei Ideos S7
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to xaueious For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Carlos_Manuel
Old
Thanks Meter 4252
In default.prop is new line!

That is ro.adb.secure=1 or something like that, I think this is the issue! changing it to 0 may let you to use ADB!

I gonna test it out in 5 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
(the best Android phone ever)
ROM: Dreams
Radio Baseband: I9250XXLJ1

Sony Xperia tablet Z (LTE):
10.3.1.A.0.244

Samsung jet:
My built CM7

Twitter || Facebook || YouTube: CarlosJacksonHD

Android for Samsung Jt:
http://code.google.com/p/android-for-jet/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carlos_Manuel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rickbosch
Old
Thanks Meter 602
It'll ask you to give ADB permission if you're all set up correctly. Mine did...Seems it's a whitelist system now where you can allow or not allow individual PCs to use ADB on your device.

/// rastakat /// trinity /// aosp ///
The Following User Says Thank You to rickbosch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xaueious
Old
(Last edited by xaueious; 12th February 2013 at 12:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumanfred View Post
In default.prop is new line!

That is ro.adb.secure=1 or something like that, I think this is the issue! changing it to 0 may let you to use ADB!

I gonna test it out in 5 minutes.
That's default.

I resolved my issue swapping my kernel, not the ramdisk (that's where default.prop is in anyway). Hm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbosch View Post
It'll ask you to give ADB permission if you're all set up correctly. Mine did...Seems it's a whitelist system now where you can allow or not allow individual PCs to use ADB on your device.

This never came up for me o_O. Didn't wipe though.

How do you manage devices?
Past devices: HTC Dream (Rogers), Acer Liquid E, HTC EVO3D GSM, HTC Panache (international myTouch4G), Huawei Ideos U8150, Rogers HTC Magic (myTouch3G variant)

Current devices: Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM (i9250), ASUS Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3 i747m (Telus), Huawei Ideos S7
The Following User Says Thank You to xaueious For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Carlos_Manuel
Old
Thanks Meter 4252
I'm using 4.2.2 and I didn't got that popup!

I extracted boot.img and made it to insecure and changed adb secure line from 1 to 0 and now I can use ADB!
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

10.3.1.A.0.244

Samsung jet:
My built CM7

Android for Samsung Jt:

rickbosch
Old
Thanks Meter 602
neither did I. Just flashed via TWRP over stock Takju 4.2.1

edit: And about managing devices, I have no idea.

xaueious
Old
(Last edited by xaueious; 12th February 2013 at 12:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
You shouldn't have to make ro.adb.secure=0 default. I think something is definitely wrong with this OTA lol.

Or maybe this is a new feature. Was the screenshot taken with Linux? How the heck do I get a RSA key with ADB on Windows?

rickbosch
Old
Thanks Meter 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaueious View Post
Or maybe this is a new feature. Was the screenshot taken with Linux? How the heck do I get a RSA key with ADB on Windows?
Screenshot was taken on my phone, and about RSA key and ADB on Windows, I'm afraid I can't answer those for you.

Carlos_Manuel
Old
Thanks Meter 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaueious View Post
You shouldn't have to make ro.adb.secure=0 default. I think something is definitely wrong with this OTA lol.

Why not!
It lets to use ADB then, now I can use ADB without any issues, before editing default.prop I wasn't able to use ADB!
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

10.3.1.A.0.244

Samsung jet:
My built CM7

Android for Samsung Jt:

xaueious
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
This is probably a new feature of some sort. Linux works fine, Windows doesn't. Mac probably works too.