Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,300 Members 52,878 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rogers CNAP (Name Display) on Galaxy Nexus

Tip us?

chrall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
wow...so no one else has/needs/wants this feature? I can't post in the CyanogenMod forum because I don't have enough posts, but can someone see if they can add this modified contacts.apk so my darn call list with caller ID names work...?

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 8031

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrall View Post
wow...so no one else has/needs/wants this feature? I can't post in the CyanogenMod forum because I don't have enough posts, but can someone see if they can add this modified contacts.apk so my darn call list with caller ID names work...?
Try replacing the stock one with the one attached. I pulled it out of an old CM release. No guarantees that it will work.

Rename your existing Contacts.apk, copy this one to the same location, make sure the permissions are the same as the original, and reboot.

If it works, I'll package it up into a flashable zip for others.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Contacts.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.65 MB, 21 views)
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

colstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have the same problem as it used to work in the past. I realize this is a nexus thread and I am on a t989 samsung. I tried used the contacts app that was posted but I am not able to install. I have posed on T989 thread but no answers there. It would be a huge help if I can fix this call log problem on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 8031

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by colstar View Post
I have the same problem as it used to work in the past. I realize this is a nexus thread and I am on a t989 samsung. I tried used the contacts app that was posted but I am not able to install. I have posed on T989 thread but no answers there. It would be a huge help if I can fix this call log problem on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
What do you mean you weren't able to install it? What happened when you followed the directions I posted?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

colstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
What do you mean you weren't able to install it? What happened when you followed the directions I posted?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I tried moving it into the /system/app directory and it moved ok. Now my rom keeps crashing. I am on AVATAR rom and I have a Samsung galaxy s2x T989

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colstar View Post
I tried moving it into the /system/app directory and it moved ok. Now my rom keeps crashing. I am on AVATAR rom and I have a Samsung galaxy s2x T989
Just to add some more clarity here. These are the steps are followed.

Force stopped and disabled the current contacts up and contacts provider.
Renamed contacts apk
Copied your contacts apk to system/app
Changed the permissions on your contacts apk to match the old file.

Keep getting rom crashes now such as gapps has crashed etc. phone is still usable but no contacts and can't dial
The Following User Says Thank You to colstar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I fixed the issue by restoring to stock rom from backup and installing jedi mind tricks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Groove996
Old
Thanks Meter 1
don't mean to resurrect this old thread but anyone find a KitKat ROM that supports CNAP? I haven't found one yet

and to a few ppl that pm'd me for the contacts.apk - sorry guys, dont have it anymore either

Cmcujo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I really need this feature and a proper integrated visual voicemail. But that's besides the point.
I'm going to install the contacts.apk posted above and see if it does it. I'll let you guys know.

If not hopefully someone has the file that was working and can post it.

Cmcujo
Old
(Last edited by Cmcujo; 5th February 2014 at 01:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Ha nevermind back to square one indeed. Can't even find a rom for kitkat that has CNAP enabled. How is this so difficult? I know it's not a US feature, but seriously we live in 2014.
Every iPhone has had this feature since 3gs

Update:
I still haven't found a rom that supports cnap. Closest thing I've found is if I miss a call the status bar will notify me with cnap working fine. Then in missed calls log it will flash away to number. But when I'm receiving calls, nothing. Only the status bar on missed calls seems to be working.

I've tried everything , bunch of different contact.apk, rewriting build file with rl lines.

colstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Lol looks like I am back here as well. I got a new phone LG Optimus G and have kitkat on it. Same issue. No name ID. Anyone having any luck with a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcujo View Post
Ha nevermind back to square one indeed. Can't even find a rom for kitkat that has CNAP enabled. How is this so difficult? I know it's not a US feature, but seriously we live in 2014.
Every iPhone has had this feature since 3gs

Update:
I still haven't found a rom that supports cnap. Closest thing I've found is if I miss a call the status bar will notify me with cnap working fine. Then in missed calls log it will flash away to number. But when I'm receiving calls, nothing. Only the status bar on missed calls seems to be working.

I've tried everything , bunch of different contact.apk, rewriting build file with rl lines.

Tags
call forwarding, cnap, name display, rogers