Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,538 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ROM which supports USB Mass Storage on Galaxy Nexus?

Tip us?

alexs77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] ROM which supports USB Mass Storage on Galaxy Nexus?

Hi

To my great dismal, I only noticed after having bought the Galaxy Nexus, that it doesn't support USB Mass Storage (UMS) mode I've read Dan Morrils explanation, but don't subscribe to it - since I'm on Linux and since PTP and MTP don't work too well there (at least on my two Ubuntu 11.10 installations) his statement "On the whole it's a much better experience on the phone." is just plain wrong, as far as I am concerned. The pseudo SD Card in my "old" Nexus S worked totally fine…

Oh well… Enough for the rant…

I'm now looking for a ROM which allows to mount the device in good ol' USB Mass Storage mode. I read that the modaco ROM supports this - but only after a "rebake" (what's meant with this?).

Are there alternatives?

Thanks,
Alexander
The Following User Says Thank You to alexs77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HyunJoon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
same opinion!

masully84
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 72
I don't know if there are any

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,671
There is no sdcard, internal or not. There probably was on the S. The data partition and sdcard are one and the same. Sdcard is a symlink to data/media. Android does not support mounting individual folders as ums. So until someone devises a way to partition sdcard separately, you will have to live with mtp.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samizad
Old
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
I don't use it but I understand you can install Stickmount by Chainfire from the market. That will give you USB host.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Current Phone: Nexus 5 (Hammerhead) | Stock 4.4.4, Rooted, TWRP.
Previous Phones: Siemens S25 | Siemens S35 | Nokia 7110 | Nokia 7650 | HTC Himalaya | HTC Alpine | Samsung D500 | HTC Magician | Samsung I300 | HTC Artemis | HTC Kaiser | HTC Diamond | HTC Leo | Galaxy Nexus (Maguro)

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by samizad View Post
I don't use it but I understand you can install Stickmount by Chainfire from the market. That will give you USB host.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Which is not usb mass storage, which the thread deals with
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

ceribaen
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I too wish there wish there was a mass storage option.

In my car - I get a constant connect/disconnect cycle when attempting to charge it via the auxilliary usb jack which renders the radio useless. Another car just failed to recognize the device and wouldn't read the directory structure, so couldn't play over usb. In both cases, iDevices work fine :/

PS - why are the captchas so darn hard to read on this forum?

anton2009
Old
Thanks Meter 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceribaen View Post
I too wish there wish there was a mass storage option.

In my car - I get a constant connect/disconnect cycle when attempting to charge it via the auxilliary usb jack which renders the radio useless. Another car just failed to recognize the device and wouldn't read the directory structure, so couldn't play over usb. In both cases, iDevices work fine :/

PS - why are the captchas so darn hard to read on this forum?
Where do you see any captchas in this forum...?

hEaTLoE
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton2009 View Post
Where do you see any captchas in this forum...?
Might be due to the low post amount or searching while not logged in?

ceribaen
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I'm hoping they go away after 10 posts? But I constantly find I have to take several attempts for it to say that I got it right.

Anyway back on topic... does anyone know of any software/roms/etc that would make the usb media on your phone look more like mass storage for things like car radios to read them proper?