Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,087 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root and OTA updates

Tip us?

zljk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Root and OTA updates

Hi,

What are experiences of current owners of Nexus phones ? My Desire Z is rooted ( only rooted, don't have a custom ROM), and I never got Gingerbread update so I'd hate the same thing happening to G Nexus.

Thanks.

Nebucatnetzer
Old
Thanks Meter 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by zljk View Post
Hi,

What are experiences of current owners of Nexus phones ? My Desire Z is rooted ( only rooted, don't have a custom ROM), and I never got Gingerbread update so I'd hate the same thing happening to G Nexus.

Thanks.
That will never happen with the GN. When you own this phone you're first in line for the updates until the next is coming out then you're second but still faster than the others.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
Tutorials and useful Links for Beginners
No idea how to undervolt? Go to -->My tutorial<--
Learn how to get and read logcats-->HowTo by Stryke_the_Orc<--
Want to learn how to use ADB? Go to -->ADB for Dummies<--
Kernel governors, and other stuff explained by droidphile -->here<--

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1714
When you're rooted you can't get the OTA updates. You have to unroot to apply them. That's true for all Android phones.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

TulpiX
Old
Thanks Meter 4
You cant get them at all?
Not even: get update and apply it, loose root because of the update, reroot?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

slowz3r
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulpiX View Post

you could do that, but chances are someone will get the OTA before you and pre root it for everyones pleasure and you can just flash that via recovery

_hyperdude
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:

If my experiences with my OG Droid match up with the Nexus line, if you've only rooted and haven't actually installed another ROM, you should be able to apply the OTA update and lose root because of it. Then just root again.

zljk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
When you're rooted you can't get the OTA updates. You have to unroot to apply them. That's true for all Android phones.
I've seen some threads claiming that root itself doesn't affect updates, but changing of data on system partition.... Was kind of hoping there is a way to have my cake and eat it too - don't mind having to root the phone all over again after the OTA....

Anyhow - as an alternative, is there a way to get official Nexus updates ( stock ) using other channels except OTA ? What was happening with old Nexus phones ?

_hyperdude
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zljk View Post
I've seen some threads claiming that root itself doesn't affect updates, but changing of data on system partition.... Was kind of hoping there is a way to have my cake and eat it too - don't mind having to root the phone all over again after the OTA....

Anyhow - as an alternative, is there a way to get official Nexus updates ( stock ) using other channels except OTA ? What was happening with old Nexus phones ?
The alternate way to get official Nexus updates is to download the update zip file once someone copies it off their device and uploads it, and install it in whatever fashion works.
The Following User Says Thank You to _hyperdude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phazerorg
Old
Thanks Meter 136
I rooted my Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader or using custom recovery. I definitely still got OTA updates and they worked fine, but would unroot the phone.

The solution is to use a custom recovery and apply the update .zip manually, then reflash superuser before rebooting. Whenever an OTA update comes out, someone eventually uses logcat to get the URL to the zip and posts it so anyone can download it.

I was rooted on Froyo and got the OTA update to Gingerbread no problem, but I lost root. I eventually got root again (Gingerbreak) and when the 2.3.4 update came out, I did it manually in custom recovery to keep root.

Now I run CM7.1 so I definitely don't get OTA updates from Google
The Following User Says Thank You to phazerorg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1714
Quote:

It will often download and you can try but it will either fail, unroot you, or cause troubles.

You're best off applying the pre-rooted update, or unrooting and taking the OTA.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

Tags
ota, root, update