Post Reply

[Q] Root and OTA updates

OP zljk

6th November 2011, 09:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Hi,

What are experiences of current owners of Nexus phones ? My Desire Z is rooted ( only rooted, don't have a custom ROM), and I never got Gingerbread update so I'd hate the same thing happening to G Nexus.

Thanks.
6th November 2011, 10:32 AM   |  #2  
Nebucatnetzer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6,767
 
5,788 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zljk

Hi,

What are experiences of current owners of Nexus phones ? My Desire Z is rooted ( only rooted, don't have a custom ROM), and I never got Gingerbread update so I'd hate the same thing happening to G Nexus.

Thanks.

That will never happen with the GN. When you own this phone you're first in line for the updates until the next is coming out then you're second but still faster than the others.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
6th November 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #3  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
7,850 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
When you're rooted you can't get the OTA updates. You have to unroot to apply them. That's true for all Android phones.
6th November 2011, 06:41 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
You cant get them at all?
Not even: get update and apply it, loose root because of the update, reroot?


Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
6th November 2011, 06:43 PM   |  #5  
slowz3r's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Malmstrom AFB, MT
Thanks Meter: 100
 
2,329 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulpiX

You cant get them at all?
Not even: get update and apply it, loose root because of the update, reroot?


Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

you could do that, but chances are someone will get the OTA before you and pre root it for everyones pleasure and you can just flash that via recovery
6th November 2011, 06:43 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 64
 
128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulpiX

You cant get them at all?
Not even: get update and apply it, loose root because of the update, reroot?


Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

If my experiences with my OG Droid match up with the Nexus line, if you've only rooted and haven't actually installed another ROM, you should be able to apply the OTA update and lose root because of it. Then just root again.
6th November 2011, 06:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj

When you're rooted you can't get the OTA updates. You have to unroot to apply them. That's true for all Android phones.

I've seen some threads claiming that root itself doesn't affect updates, but changing of data on system partition.... Was kind of hoping there is a way to have my cake and eat it too - don't mind having to root the phone all over again after the OTA....

Anyhow - as an alternative, is there a way to get official Nexus updates ( stock ) using other channels except OTA ? What was happening with old Nexus phones ?
6th November 2011, 06:53 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 64
 
128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zljk

I've seen some threads claiming that root itself doesn't affect updates, but changing of data on system partition.... Was kind of hoping there is a way to have my cake and eat it too - don't mind having to root the phone all over again after the OTA....

Anyhow - as an alternative, is there a way to get official Nexus updates ( stock ) using other channels except OTA ? What was happening with old Nexus phones ?

The alternate way to get official Nexus updates is to download the update zip file once someone copies it off their device and uploads it, and install it in whatever fashion works.
The Following User Says Thank You to _hyperdude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2011, 07:23 PM   |  #9  
phazerorg's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 136
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
I rooted my Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader or using custom recovery. I definitely still got OTA updates and they worked fine, but would unroot the phone.

The solution is to use a custom recovery and apply the update .zip manually, then reflash superuser before rebooting. Whenever an OTA update comes out, someone eventually uses logcat to get the URL to the zip and posts it so anyone can download it.

I was rooted on Froyo and got the OTA update to Gingerbread no problem, but I lost root. I eventually got root again (Gingerbreak) and when the 2.3.4 update came out, I did it manually in custom recovery to keep root.

Now I run CM7.1 so I definitely don't get OTA updates from Google
The Following User Says Thank You to phazerorg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2011, 09:34 PM   |  #10  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,715
 
7,850 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulpiX

You cant get them at all?
Not even: get update and apply it, loose root because of the update, reroot?


Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

It will often download and you can try but it will either fail, unroot you, or cause troubles.

You're best off applying the pre-rooted update, or unrooting and taking the OTA.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ota, root, update
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes