Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,264 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Nexus wi-fi issues, firmware or hardware?

Tip us?

genetic_discount51
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Nexus wi-fi issues, firmware or hardware?

I've been dealing with this issue for just about 2 weeks, and i have no clue what to do...
The Wifi on my phone will not turn on at all. Even after a factory reset (many factor resets). So after looking around I thought rooting the phone and upgrading to Kit-Kat would help. But even after doing that, my phone still would tell me the phrase "turning on WiFi" and would never turn on.

So i flashed back to 4.3 and unrooted my phone to send it to Samsung. Samsung USA claims that they cannot take my phone b/c its a global phone based on the IMEI, but the problem sounded like a hardware issue because a light doesn't flash when i try to turn on the wifi.

LASTLY I went back to the people who sold me the phone, and they claim its a firm ware issue, and that i have to bring the phone back to 4.1 for it to work.

Is this wifi problem firmware or hardware issues? If its hardware, is there a way to make the phone 4.1 without rooting it?

evilnoxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_discount51 View Post
I've been dealing with this issue for just about 2 weeks, and i have no clue what to do...
The Wifi on my phone will not turn on at all. Even after a factory reset (many factor resets). So after looking around I thought rooting the phone and upgrading to Kit-Kat would help. But even after doing that, my phone still would tell me the phrase "turning on WiFi" and would never turn on.

So i flashed back to 4.3 and unrooted my phone to send it to Samsung. Samsung USA claims that they cannot take my phone b/c its a global phone based on the IMEI, but the problem sounded like a hardware issue because a light doesn't flash when i try to turn on the wifi.

LASTLY I went back to the people who sold me the phone, and they claim its a firm ware issue, and that i have to bring the phone back to 4.1 for it to work.

Is this wifi problem firmware or hardware issues? If its hardware, is there a way to make the phone 4.1 without rooting it?
If it's the international version you can get the official factory images from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Don't know if you should use the takju or yakju version, but I've heard they should both work.
The instructions on how to flash are on that page as well

That being said I don't think flashing the old rom will fix it. It's probably a hardware problem.... but, you never know