[Q] Signal Lost with Screen Sleep

Tip us?

BruceWayne133
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Signal Lost with Screen Sleep

So first a little bit about my phone:

It's a GSM Galaxy Nexus on Telus in Canada. It's rooted and running AOKP M4. I had just flashed Franco Kernel M2, but that's when my trouble started to I just wiped my data, reflashed AOKP M4 and restored from a back-up from before I flashed that kernel. I've never flashed a new radio.

The problem is as follows: when the screen goes to sleep, I lose signal altogether. I don't receive calls, I don't receive texts, nothing. But as soon as I wake the screen, the signal comes back (and it's strong - 3 or 4 bars so it's not a service issue).

Has anybody else had a similar problem? What's the fix?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

warhummer
Old
(Last edited by warhummer; 1st April 2012 at 04:44 AM.) Reason: Found fix to phone signal dropping out when sleeping.
Thanks Meter 4
------------UPDATE--------------
Confirmed that I had no issues after flashing back to 4.0.2 stock. Went back to stock 4.0.4 and the problem surfaced again. Tried B29 of AOKP and utilized a minimum CPU setting of 700 MHz which resulted in no issues with the phone signal after going to sleep. I was able to duplicate the problem when I set the CPU to a minimum of 350 MHz. Went back to 700 MHz minimum and everything is working fine.

I'm wondering if the stock 4.0.4, in an effort to squeeze more battery life, lets the processor speed dip down below the threshold require to keep the phone "listening".

-------------------------------------
I've had the same issue after upgrading my phone to 4.0.4. It started life as a 4.0.2 GSM GNex with the Samsung ICS build on it. I flashed the Google version, then manually updated to 4.0.4. I've been searching the forums and found quite a few people with the same problem, but no real solution yet. I'm going to try a few things before taking a swag at a new radio.
The Following User Says Thank You to warhummer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

memoreks
Old
(Last edited by memoreks; 1st April 2012 at 01:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Default I have the exact same problem

I have a GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Vodafone, and within about 2 minutes of the screen sleeping, it loses connection to the network. When awakened, it will re-establish the connection within 5 seconds or so, but it is intensely irritating as I have missed lots of phone calls with this bug.

It has occurred on both my 4.0.2 patched to 4.0.4 and a clean install of 4.0.4 from google's website

I am about to revert back to 4.0.2, but if anyone can fix it in the meantime I would be eternally grateful.

-------------------------------- UPDATE ---------------------------------------------
I concur with warhummer. After rooting my Nexus again after the 4.0.4 update, and installing CPU Tuner from the Market place, I increased the minimum CPU speed to 700mhz (up from 350mhz) and it appears to be keeping its signal now. This would also tally with the fact that while my Nexus was doing things in the background it would maintain signal, but as soon as it was idle, within a few minutes the signal would die.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

warhummer
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoreks View Post
I have a GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Vodafone, and within about 2 minutes of the screen sleeping, it loses connection to the network. When awakened, it will re-establish the connection within 5 seconds or so, but it is intensely irritating as I have missed lots of phone calls with this bug.

It has occurred on both my 4.0.2 patched to 4.0.4 and a clean install of 4.0.4 from google's website

I am about to revert back to 4.0.2, but if anyone can fix it in the meantime I would be eternally grateful.
I've confirmed a fix (for myself anyways) that if you can get a CPU app that can modify the processor speed, try that via the stock 4.0.4. I'm going to flash mine now.

mephissto
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
I have the exact same problem. I was on a Rom stock 4.0.2 with root, and after flashing the OTA, I had the problem when the screen is off.

To be sure I flashed the factory image in 4.0.4 but I still had the problem.

I looked at logcat and I had this error that seems to be the problem:

Code:
03-30 15:58:16.639 E/ConnectivityService(  186): Exception trying to remove a route: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native dameon to add routes - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface route remove rmnet0 default 10.114.222.1 32 0.0.0.0} failed with code 400 : {Failed to remove route from default table (No such process)}
03-30 15:58:16.639 E/ConnectivityService(  186): Exception trying to remove a route: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native dameon to add routes - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface route remove rmnet0 default 0.0.0.0 0 10.114.222.1} failed with code 400 : {Failed to remove route from default table (No such process)}
I'm going to send my phone to repair and hope they change it, or if someone has a solution.

Right now I flashed the 4.0.2 factory image to be able to use my phone.

PS : maybe someone know how to contact a Google dev ? To report the problem to them ?
Galaxy Nexus GSM
Follow me on twitter @mephissto
The Following User Says Thank You to mephissto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

memoreks
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Unhappy SetCPU fixes it

How to sort out the problem of losing signal when GNexus goes into Standby:

1. Install 4.0.4 Stock ROM

Either use the OTA patch or do a clean 4.0.4 install from the Google Stock ROMs page.

2. Root your GNexus
There's lots of info about rooting you GNexus. I used CWM to root mine.

3. Install SetCPU

4. Run SetCPU, and raise the minimum CPU speed from 350mhz to 700mhz. Then tick "Set on Boot". (see attachment)

This should now mean your phone functions perfectly well again, and you benefit from the other good stuff in 4.0.4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-04-01-16-42-00.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	976938  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to memoreks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mephissto
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Thank you for the solution, but I don't want to achieve it that way for me there is a real problem with probably a hardware piece or something.

I contacted Jean-Baptiste Queru on Twitter, and he said that he will see who can talk to for this.

In the meantime, my Galaxy Nexus is going for repair in the hope I will have a brand new one
Galaxy Nexus GSM
The Following User Says Thank You to mephissto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ceejay83
Old
Thanks Meter 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephissto View Post
Thank you for the solution, but I don't want to achieve it that way for me there is a real problem with probably a hardware piece or something.

I contacted Jean-Baptiste Queru on Twitter, and he said that he will see who can talk to for this.

In the meantime, my Galaxy Nexus is going for repair in the hope I will have a brand new one
i'm having this problem too. but would it be a hardware problem? i don't remember this happening in 4.0.3. you might just be returning it for another phone with the same problem if you update to 4.0.4

mephissto
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
It might be a harware problem caused by a some code that was not in Android 4.0.2

I tried CyanogenMod 9 which is on Android 4.0.4 (same bootloader and radio as stock 4.0.4) but AOSP and I had the same issue.

It's really stranged because there are not a lot of people that have this issue.

Let's hope we will have news from Google soon
Galaxy Nexus GSM

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5661
I stopped having this problem in 4.0.2 and 4.03, when I updated to 4.0.4.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

Tags
galaxy nexus, signal, sleep, telus