Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 37,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Signal Lost with Screen Sleep

Tip us?

memoreks
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Default Update from Google

This was posted to the issue on Google's website:

Comment #19 on issue 28133 by mobile-g...@google.com: Signal lost when Galaxy Nexus is in Standby/idle - Android 4.0.4 Only

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,

In order to look into this issue on our side, we'd like to collect bugreport.txt files from those who received the OTA update to and remain on Android 4.0.4.

If you're experiencing a loss of signal during sleep after the 4.0.4 update, follow the instructions below:
support[dot]google[dot]com/mobile/bin/request.py?&src=6279961&contact_type=android_bugre port
(Note that this link is only valid for reports about signal loss)

We appreciate this information as we look into your reports,
Ethan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've unfortunately rooted mine to fix it, as it is my work phone and thus I can't mess too much with it, but anyone who can recreate this issue please update the bur report via the link above, and Google will be looking into it.
---------------------------------
memoreks
-Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 4.1
-Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - 4.0.4

blair287
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I have this issue too on CM9 700mhz thingy fixed mine so far but yea battery taking a hit.

dosmage
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
As previously mentioned in this post, in the open issue with Android someone has asked us to generate bug reports and submit them. I've reflashed my phone and submitted one as well as what appears to be 3 others before me. If you are experiencing this problem I highly encourage you to do so they can get an idea of the impact.

blair287
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Anyway to solve this without clocking cpu up to 700mhz and battery go down fast.

andQlimax
Old
(Last edited by andQlimax; 3rd April 2012 at 07:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 845

DONATE TO ME
this is the correct link to report the signal lost issue only:

Android Bug Report

Stock 4.0.4 only
Google Nexus 5 | Stock Rom | Rooted | Xposed
Galaxy Nexus GSM GT-I9250 (maguro) | yakju | TWRP 2.4.1.0 | BOOTLOADER PRIMEMD04 | RADIO XXLJ1 | Stock JWR66Y 4.3 + Root
HTC Desire GSM A8181 (bravo) AMOLED| PVT1 | HBOOT 0.93.1000 S-OFF CM7r1 | 4EXT Touch Recovery | RADIO 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23 | CM 7 Nightly | A2SD 512MB EXT4
Nokia N70

Delayed Push Notifications? Push Notifications Fixer
The Following User Says Thank You to andQlimax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hidjes
Old
Thanks Meter 24
You have to prevent to let the phone go into deep sleep.
You can do this by setting (in SetCPU for example) not at a minimum of for example 200GHZ but a little bit higher, so it is awakened all the time. GL

j18ter
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I tried the other recommended fix, namely to root the phone and then use adb to change the following kernel variable from 1 to 0, i.e.,

su
cd /sys/kernel/debug/smartreflex/sr_core
echo 0 > autocomp

Contrary to what an earlier post may have implied, this doesn't require using a custom kernel. I've done this with the stock kernel in 4.0.4, and since then the signal hasn't been dropped. I'm guessing this setting will be lost after reboot, so a more permanent way to set this is needed. I don't know the impact on battery consumption yet.

J
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j18ter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

memoreks
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Default Battery life

While I haven't got proper metrics to back it up (I have a day job!), I haven't found the battery life of 4.0.4 with the 700mhz fix applied, to be any different to 4.0.2 battery life.

As a rough guide, my GNexus with a 4.0.4 ROM and the "700mhz fix" applied has lost on average 2.4% per hour today, with 3-4 phone calls and a bit of light usage. This is kind of what I expect from a modern smartphone without going crazy on custom kernels etc.

If your GNexus is disconnecting from the GSM network for long periods of time with an unfixed 4.0.4 ROM, then its bound to improve battery life as it is not keeping in contact with a cellular base station, and is powering down the relevant radio parts of the phone.

If anyone has the spare time, then it would be interesting to compare battery utilisation between a working 4.0.2 and a fixed 4.0.4 installation, and see if the 700mhz increase makes much difference. My guess is that it won't.
memoreks
-Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 4.1
-Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - 4.0.4
The Following User Says Thank You to memoreks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

allio
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoreks View Post
While I haven't got proper metrics to back it up (I have a day job!), I haven't found the battery life of 4.0.4 with the 700mhz fix applied, to be any different to 4.0.2 battery life.

As a rough guide, my GNexus with a 4.0.4 ROM and the "700mhz fix" applied has lost on average 2.4% per hour today, with 3-4 phone calls and a bit of light usage. This is kind of what I expect from a modern smartphone without going crazy on custom kernels etc.

If anyone has the spare time, then it would be interesting to compare battery utilisation between a working 4.0.2 and a fixed 4.0.4 installation, and see if the 700mhz increase makes much difference. My guess is that it won't.
I think you're broadly right, that 4.0.4 with the 700MHz "fix" probably behaves similarly to 4.0.2.

Quote:
If your GNexus is disconnecting from the GSM network for long periods of time with an unfixed 4.0.4 ROM, then its bound to improve battery life as it is not keeping in contact with a cellular base station, and is powering down the relevant radio parts of the phone.
In my experience, this isn't true. The constant attempts to re-establish the signal actually prevent the phone from going to sleep at all. I rebooted my phone half an hour ago and it has probably one minute of screen on-time since then, but it's been awake 95% of that time due to the constant disconnections and attempts to reestablish the network link. Battery life is plummeting like a stone as a result - 6-7% in half an hour.

I believe the 4.0.4 update has enabled some more aggressive power saving techniques (smartreflex) that weren't used in 4.0.2. This is resulting in greatly improved battery life for most people. Unfortunately, on certain devices (such as ours), it's proving to be problematic.

Clearly it needs a fix from Google - I just hope the fix results in us getting the same power savings everybody else does, and doesn't leave us out in the cold by simply turning off the feature.

I've submitted my log and starred the bug report.
The Following User Says Thank You to allio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootusr
Old
(Last edited by rootusr; 4th April 2012 at 03:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
UPDATE: not It's not working, after a some idle time I'm losing connectivity again...seems that the only option is to modify CPU frencuencies

Having the same problem with Stock rooted YAKJU since the update to 4.0.4.

I can't understand why since seems to be a Kernel issue but i flashed UGLA4 and the problem went away... so, is this really a Kernel problem?

I already report this to google.

Tags
galaxy nexus, signal, sleep, telus