5,604,292 Members 49,323 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] Unable to install OTA updates after rooting

Tip us?

phazerorg
Old
Thanks Meter 119
rooted = no effect on OTA updates (assuming you haven't messed around with anything in /system - if you have, all bets are off)
unlocked bootloader = no effect on OTA updates
CWM = will not install OTA updates automatically, but will install them manually by flashing the zip
stock ROM = required for OTA updates, and must be the build that the OTA update is meant for
radio = must be the version the OTA update expects
bootloader = must be the version the OTA update expects (actually not 100% sure on that, but it doesn't hurt...)

If everything is right and it still won't go, I'm not sure. Flashing with CWM might actually give you more of an error message indicating what's wrong. I think the stock recovery just gives you the exclamation mark and nothing more.
The Following User Says Thank You to phazerorg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beekay201
Old
(Last edited by beekay201; 2nd August 2012 at 06:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1096
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
LOL. I said Sprint in the OP I think the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is called "Toro Plus" or "Toroplus" in this context.

Anyway, the problem I had before with CWM was that I could start the FD02 OTA update within CWM, and I'd get, as I recall, the red exclamation mark screen, instead of a successful install. I had the same issue when I tried the FG01 OTA update outright, it rebooted, went to CWM, and gave me a red exclamation mark. From searching around on google, it seemed that this was due to my current non-bone-stock setup (rooted/CWM recovery/unlocked/stock ROM), so is it actually unusual for this setup to not install OTA updates properly?

Thanks for the help so far, this is my first Android phone after a long line of WinCE/PPC/WM6 devices, and there's a lot that I'm unfamiliar with
Yeah, I was unsure about toroplus being the sprint version.
Not sure whats going on, although i wouldn't think much about it and go full stock. Have you tried the updates thread on dev section? Have you tried TWRP?
Since i'm on maguro, i flashed yakju factory image, booted twrp with fastboot, flashed a supersu zip, reboot. Full stock achieved, with root. Nothing to it. Backup your root if you want with OTA root keeper or whatever people use (i would just repeat the first steps i mentioned after the ota installed, except reflash factory image, of course), then accept the ota.

Sent from my i9250
hammerhead/Omni-KOT49H/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)

DanAdamKOF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
So you're saying, return the GNex to full stock, unlock and root again (perhaps using a different "toolkit" type utility, or just using adb commands), and see what happens? And I haven't visited any update threads other than when I installed the FD02 radio + other updates.

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1036
I'll ask the same thing I asked other dude with the same question, why?? Who wants an ICS OTA with borked search? For the love of all things butter, just flash JB!!

DanAdamKOF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Seriously, should I have to explain myself? I want Sprint TV since I'm paying for it anyway. I want things to "just work" and not mess with JB ROMs using a hacked ICS radio. I don't want to put on ROMs with broken stuff in it (there's one ROM whose OP just says "Broken: you tell me." for crying out loud). I'm not going to argue this any further. Obviously if I wanted to put on a community ROM, I would just do so.

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1036
Quote:
Seriously, should I have to explain myself? I want Sprint TV since I'm paying for it anyway. I want things to "just work" and not mess with JB ROMs using a hacked ICS radio. I don't want to put on ROMs with broken stuff in it (there's one ROM whose OP just says "Broken: you tell me." for crying out loud). I'm not going to argue this any further. Obviously if I wanted to put on a community ROM, I would just do so.
I'm sorry if I came off confrontational, I was sincerely trying to help. I've been using JB ROMs since they were released and nothing is broken and I would never even consider going back to ICS now. But, of course, it's your phone and you'll do what you want with it.

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 7795

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
LOL. I said Sprint in the OP I think the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is called "Toro Plus" or "Toroplus" in this context.

Anyway, the problem I had before with CWM was that I could start the FD02 OTA update within CWM, and I'd get, as I recall, the red exclamation mark screen, instead of a successful install. I had the same issue when I tried the FG01 OTA update outright, it rebooted, went to CWM, and gave me a red exclamation mark. From searching around on google, it seemed that this was due to my current non-bone-stock setup (rooted/CWM recovery/unlocked/stock ROM), so is it actually unusual for this setup to not install OTA updates properly?
Rooting has nothing to do with it.

As was mentioned earlier, CWM will install an OTA update file but it will NOT install it over-the-air. What I mean is, if you download the update yourself ( from the "update" link in my signature), you can use CWM. If you get the notification that there is an OTA update and you click accept and try to have it install while CWM is installed , it will fail. See the difference?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

DanAdamKOF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I am so so sorry for this but I can't figure out how to take a screenshot in recovery mode.
When I install the OTA update in CWM (flashed it back), this happens:

This is what happened last time with FD02, more or less.

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 7795

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I am so so sorry for this but I can't figure out how to take a screenshot in recovery mode.
When I install the OTA update in CWM (flashed it back), this happens:

This is what happened last time with FD02, more or less.
You are getting that error because you are using a custom kernel. You need to be running the stock kernel for the build you are running.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

DanAdamKOF
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
You are getting that error because you are using a custom kernel. You need to be running the stock kernel for the build you are running.

Thank you so much. That's news to me. How do I shove a stock kernel into it?

Tags
ota, rooted, stock recovery