5,603,981 Members 44,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Superuser vs SuperSU

Tip us?
 
kroogar
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Superuser vs SuperSU

Hoping for some help to understand this:

I've been running CM10.2M1 up until a few days ago. For some reason I have both the CM built-in Superuser app AND SuperSU 1.80 installed. So a few days ago I upgraded to CM10.2 stable and was immediately prompted if I wanted to give superuser access to SuperSU.

So I'm thinking that having two root access controlling apps might be overdoing it so I uninstalled SuperSU. But then this root checker app that I have claims my device is not rooted. WTF? But it seems to be right since none of my root requiring apps are working (apart from Titanium Backup which doesn't complain). Root Explorer, Busu Box Installer and others complain about missing root access.

So: What's the deal? Do I need both Superuser and SuperSU? And if not how do I uninstall SuperSU without loosing root?

I really hope someone can explain this in simple terms so that I can understand what's going on...

Have a nice weekend everyone
 
Ashtrix
Old
(Last edited by Ashtrix; 6th December 2013 at 07:40 PM.)
#2  
Ashtrix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 251
Posts: 1,083
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroogar View Post
Hoping for some help to understand this:

I've been running CM10.2M1 up until a few days ago. For some reason I have both the CM built-in Superuser app AND SuperSU 1.80 installed. So a few days ago I upgraded to CM10.2 stable and was immediately prompted if I wanted to give superuser access to SuperSU.

So I'm thinking that having two root access controlling apps might be overdoing it so I uninstalled SuperSU. But then this root checker app that I have claims my device is not rooted. WTF? But it seems to be right since none of my root requiring apps are working (apart from Titanium Backup which doesn't complain). Root Explorer, Busu Box Installer and others complain about missing root access.

So: What's the deal? Do I need both Superuser and SuperSU? And if not how do I uninstall SuperSU without loosing root?

I really hope someone can explain this in simple terms so that I can understand what's going on...

Have a nice weekend everyone
First flash a good recovery. Personal opinion PhilZ touch---first go though the page and u can notice an super user option first do that it'll remove all root environment then install Busybox on Rails app from playstore, though i've been using TWRP since a long time coz of it's simple UI themable too but it's having binary-update script issues (root-->need busybox ---environment issues) , then u can use either on of em Superuser/SuperSu disable Superuser in CM to use SuperSU.

[Kernel] -Testing-
[Device] Nexus Prime
[ROM] SlimKAT 4.4.2 -- v4.6
[Recovery] PhilZ_Touch v6.12.8 CWM
[Bootloader] - PrimeLC03
[Baseband] - XXLA2

[Old devices] -- iPhone 2G > Droid > Galaxy S
Hit thanks if anyone had helped you !

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashtrix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
OffcerClancy
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroogar View Post
Hoping for some help to understand this:

I've been running CM10.2M1 up until a few days ago. For some reason I have both the CM built-in Superuser app AND SuperSU 1.80 installed. So a few days ago I upgraded to CM10.2 stable and was immediately prompted if I wanted to give superuser access to SuperSU.

So I'm thinking that having two root access controlling apps might be overdoing it so I uninstalled SuperSU. But then this root checker app that I have claims my device is not rooted. WTF? But it seems to be right since none of my root requiring apps are working (apart from Titanium Backup which doesn't complain). Root Explorer, Busu Box Installer and others complain about missing root access.

So: What's the deal? Do I need both Superuser and SuperSU? And if not how do I uninstall SuperSU without loosing root?

I really hope someone can explain this in simple terms so that I can understand what's going on...

Have a nice weekend everyone
Also try uninstalling both rebooting & reinstalling Superuser.
 
t1.8matt
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 388
Posts: 1,712
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffcerClancy View Post
Also try uninstalling both rebooting & reinstalling Superuser.
are you even able to remove stock superuser that's baked into the rom?
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G
 
OffcerClancy
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 146
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1.8matt View Post
are you even able to remove stock superuser that's baked into the rom?
Can't answer categorically, but, w/ROM I am running it was listed in Settings, Apps, Downloaded, and allowed for Uninstall option.
 
t1.8matt
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 388
Posts: 1,712
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffcerClancy View Post
Can't answer categorically, but, w/ROM I am running it was listed in Settings, Apps, Downloaded, and allowed for Uninstall option.
Yeah, then it can be uninstalled. But on a rom like CMetal that I'm running right now, you can't uninstall superuser like that, it's baked in which might be what the OP is dealing with. To not use the built in superuser you just flash supersu over it and the system uses that for root access and not superuser.
Google Nexus 5

Moto X DE

Nexus 7 1G
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

WinDroid HTC Toolkit Lets You Root, Unlock, and Flash ROMs on Various HTC Devices

Plenty of users nowadays have more than one mobile device. … more

When Using GitHub, Don’t Skimp on Commit History

GitHub has become the epicenter of most open source development work that is posted … more

Verizon Droid DNA to Receive 4.4.2 KitKat + Sense 5.5 OTA This Thursday

The HTC Droid DNAis Verizon’s close cousin to the JapaneseHTC … more

Lucid Browser is Small, Lightweight, and Open Source

If there is one application category that certainly isn’t lacking in Android,and … more