Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 51,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any way to connect the Galaxy Nexus to an Ethernet connection?

Tip us?

frenchglen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Any way to connect the Galaxy Nexus to an Ethernet connection?

Hi guys.

I'm needing to connect my Gnex to the internet, on a wired-only network. Cellular data is not an option. Wifi is not an option. Bluetooth is not an option.

I've tried dabbling with reverse USB tethering - and it was working for a while - but now, for some reason, it's just not working reliably for me.

So I'm wondering if there's a working micro USB -> Ethernet adapter solution out there?

Do I need some OTG adapter and then an adapter like this connecting to it? Thanks if anyone knows what definitely works (hopefully from your own experience or knowledge of solid accounts of it!) - just don't want to waste money buying something that actually might not work.

My rooted gnex has CM11 stable 4.4.2 on it, if that helps.

Thanks

frenchglen
Old
(Last edited by frenchglen; 22nd May 2014 at 06:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I bit the bullet and I can confirm, that it is working just fine, absolutely just fine!!! I'm so happy!!!

Even with Google Play Store, app updating is no problem! (it might be because I have the 'hack connectivity' app installed but I'm not sure...I don't think so...I think that only runs when doing reverse USB tethering, which I'm obviously not doing now...)

So, some information to report so it helps anyone else ever embarking on the same quest as me:

- If you're on stock Jelly Bean or above, drivers for some or most common Ethernet->USB adapters (such as the famous AX88772 chip), are ready to go, built-in. It will simply work right away, Internet working, plug and play Internet.

- But luckily, it works also with CM11 February 2014 build and up (and maybe much easier too, but my current build is a February installer build)! Hooray for that, no custom kernel hacking/driver installing needed!!

- Certainly one Ethernet adapter that now has multiple documented reports of success (at least with the gnex), is the Apple Ethernet->USB ('for Macbook Air') adapter. There's a youtube video here and a twitter post here. They're both with stock JB on the gnex, but mine is with CM 11 4.2.2. And yes, I decided to err on the side of superstition and got the same apple adapter, even if it was more than double the price of other perfectly great AX88772 adapters out there...hey, at least it works! And then as for OTG adapter, I just got a random $2 generic black one from ebay. Seems to be working fine, speed seems pretty ok, certainly faster than my WiFi used to be!

- Another bit of into: I read somewhere, that 'Make sure you plug everything into the adapter/OTG cable BEFORE plugging it into your [Android device]. While using a mouse/keyboard/hub I noticed if you plug the OTG cable in first and then a peripheral, the N7 won't recognize it.' But I can report, with the Apple Ethernet adapter, plugging it in after plugging the OTG cable in, works just fine . I just wait about 10-15 seconds to make sure it gets DHCP and away we go .

Hope this helps someone out there, thanks for listening!