5,593,293 Members 33,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Resolved] Unable to sync some Google Services

Tip us?
 
Card83
Old
(Last edited by Card83; 19th February 2014 at 06:03 PM.)
#1  
Card83's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 289
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento
Question [Resolved] Unable to sync some Google Services

Here is my current situation:
About a week ago, I noticed that I had stopped receiving notifications from Gmail. I could still open the Gmail app and read my emails, so I didn't think much about it. Then 3 days later, I noticed that none of my email was showing up, and when I would try and refresh or sync from within Gmail, I got a message that there was no network connection. After that, I went into my Account Settings to verify that I had not somehow accidentally turned off Gmail sync. It was, in fact, still checked. However, it showed that it had not been able to sync since 2/13. Additionally, my Google Calendar, Google Play Music, People Details, and one or two other services are not able to sync. There is a message at the bottom of this screen that says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". Like I stated, this has been the case for 5 days.

I will also list what I've done to try and fix it so far, just so I don't get a bunch of suggestions that I've already tried.
- Clear cache for affected software. No Change.
- Clear DATA for affected software. No Change.
- Turn off, then turn on Sync for my Google account several times, with and without rebooting in between. No Change.
- Wipe the Rom, then install a new Rom and kernel. Upon doing this, I could not even get past the registration, as the phone repeatedly said that it was unable to contact Google servers. This was attempted both on LTE and WiFi. I eventually had to Restore via CWM.

The device is running the FML fork of CM11 and has the Mpokang 1080p kernel. I have been running this setup for a few months with no issues at all. Gmail still syncs and functions fine on my Xperia Play and Kindle Fire when on WiFi, so it doesn't seem to be an overall problem with my Google account.

Any other ideas as to what I might try?
-Card
LG G2 - Daily Driver - Malladus 1.2.8 JB
Sony Xperia Play - GrooveIP WiFi home phone / Gaming Device - xEliteGamer 1.7
Kindle Fire - Hashcode Stock JB 4.2.2 / Hashcode kernel
Motorola Droid 4 - Work Phone - Stock, against my choice
Galaxy Nexus - Ubuntu Touch testbed
Retired: Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, EeePC Android x86, OG Droid, OG Droid #2
 
Card83
Old
(Last edited by Card83; 18th February 2014 at 07:48 PM.)
#2  
Card83's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 289
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento
I've attached screenshots of the issue. Two of the images show what my Google Account Sync looks like, and one image shows all I can see when I go into the Gmail app. I did black out my account name, but that is all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-18-10-55-00.png
Views:	9
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2587131 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-18-10-55-13.png
Views:	13
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	2587132 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-18-11-42-11.png
Views:	8
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2587141
-Card
LG G2 - Daily Driver - Malladus 1.2.8 JB
Sony Xperia Play - GrooveIP WiFi home phone / Gaming Device - xEliteGamer 1.7
Kindle Fire - Hashcode Stock JB 4.2.2 / Hashcode kernel
Motorola Droid 4 - Work Phone - Stock, against my choice
Galaxy Nexus - Ubuntu Touch testbed
Retired: Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, EeePC Android x86, OG Droid, OG Droid #2
 
Card83
Old
#3  
Card83's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 289
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento
Last night, my Google Play Store stopped working. So I did a little more research, and was able to resolve the problem. If anyone runs into this issue in the future, it was simply a matter of having a somehow corrupted hosts file. If you use ES File Explorer (or other similar app), navigate to your root directory, go to /system/etc and find the file called "hosts" without a file extension. You have to mount r/w, then rename, move, or delete the hosts file. Once this is done, reboot the device. It took a bit longer to fully reboot, but once it did, all functionality returned.
-Card
LG G2 - Daily Driver - Malladus 1.2.8 JB
Sony Xperia Play - GrooveIP WiFi home phone / Gaming Device - xEliteGamer 1.7
Kindle Fire - Hashcode Stock JB 4.2.2 / Hashcode kernel
Motorola Droid 4 - Work Phone - Stock, against my choice
Galaxy Nexus - Ubuntu Touch testbed
Retired: Droid Incredible 2, Droid Charge, EeePC Android x86, OG Droid, OG Droid #2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes