XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] US$999.19 wrongly charged by dishonest cell phone company

Tip us?

Ulissesv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] US$999.19 wrongly charged by dishonest cell phone company

I've been charged for 4,568.27MB of data usage at 0.50 per MB. Converting the amount to US$ gets me to the absurd amount of US$999.

My Galaxy Nexus says I used approximately 2,000MB in the period so I am being robbed and need to prove in court that the cell co. charge is false.

Does anyone know how can I extract a report, from my phone, with the data usage information?

A photo of the screen with the info wouldn't have the phone number, and it does not show the precise amount of data that was used. This could be easily discarded as proof.

Anyone knows how this can be acomplished?

The phone gives me three months of info and I am afraid that the necessary information will be gone when this matter gets in court. The Period I need is still showing (15/08/2013 to 15/09/2013)

Thanks for your help,

Ulisses

daniel_loft
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I don't think you can use the Data Usage info in your phone to prove anything. Your operator might not take it into consideration because, somewhere in the Data Usage page it is written "Your carrier's data usage accounting may differ". Based on that someone might say that your phone is measuring data differently and all wrong, so it cannot be taken into consideration.

One of my colleagues had a similar problem. So he asked for the details. Giving that his 5 GB were downloaded over a period of a few minutes (at gigabit speeds) he decided not to pay that bill. In his case it was obvious that that traffic couldn't have been made with current technologies. And he didn't wanna go with an operator's suggestion to pay the bill and to wait for a negative bill later on either.

Hope this will be solved.
Nokia 5110 > Alcatel OT303 > Nokia 3310 > Nokia 1100 > Nokia 1112 > Nokia 5000 > Nokia 6555 > Nokia 3120C > Nokia E51 > Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Galaxy Nexus

<-- Hit THANKS if this post helped you!
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel_loft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ulissesv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Data from the phone is acceptable

Thanks for answering.

In Brazil the burden of proof is inverted in a consumer relationship so the cell phone company will have to prove that my cell phone has wrong data.

This sounds good for consumers but the legal system is awfully expensive and slow therefore few people go to courts. In this case due to the small value I can go to a fast track court but I need to have paper or data evidence to present becouse inserting the cellphone in my petition is not an option.

I understand that the cell phone states that usage numbers might be different from those of the cell phone co. but we are talking about 2GB more and cell phone companies here have a history of screwing up customers. They are always on top of the most complained about businesses in the country so the judge will weight very carefully their statements.

Ulisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_loft View Post
I don't think you can use the Data Usage info in your phone to prove anything. Your operator might not take it into consideration because, somewhere in the Data Usage page it is written "Your carrier's data usage accounting may differ". Based on that someone might say that your phone is measuring data differently and all wrong, so it cannot be taken into consideration.

One of my colleagues had a similar problem. So he asked for the details. Giving that his 5 GB were downloaded over a period of a few minutes (at gigabit speeds) he decided not to pay that bill. In his case it was obvious that that traffic couldn't have been made with current technologies. And he didn't wanna go with an operator's suggestion to pay the bill and to wait for a negative bill later on either.

Hope this will be solved.

Baletka
Old
Thanks Meter 2
They don't have to prove to you that your phone is wrong, they just have to prove that their measurement is correct. The number on the phone doesn't mean anything and it's easy to change anyway. Not to mention that you could easily just use your SIM in another phone and download data there. I'm afraid the number on your phone won't help you here ..

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1238
As far as your data usage on your phone, do you flash ROMs? If so, I think every time you flash a new ROM or wipe data, it resets the data usage. So as was mentioned, I dont think that evidence will hold up. They could easily say you just wiped data or something.