5,600,234 Members 35,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB ADB drivers do not install! Help please?

Tip us?

kristovaher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 221
Question [Q] USB ADB drivers do not install! Help please?

I am unable to get USB connection working with my phone for development purposes. I have turned on the USB debugging and connected the device with USB cable and it does detect file transfer capabilities, but I am unable to get the ADB connection working.

I am running Windows XP SP3

It says it has found a device 'Galaxy' but is unable to install drivers for it.

What I have tried:
  • sdk/extras/google/usb_driver directory
  • I tried installing PdaNetA302.exe
  • I tried installing Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_6_0.exe
  • I selected 'install from specific location' -> choose a driver -> 'Android Phone' but it had none listed and the aforementioned driver directories did not work either when I selected them as 'Have Disk' options.

I also tried uninstalling all related devices and do the whole connecting thing again, but without success.

Help please?

kristovaher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 221
SOLUTION

Apparently HTC drivers got in the way. After I removed all HTC drivers from my Windows XP, restarted and connected the device, the Samsung drivers kicked in and made it work.

To remove unused drivers from Windows XP you can follow this guide.
The Following User Says Thank You to kristovaher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waylo
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Thanks for posting your experience.

Another problem I found, was that there's a different SamsungDriver.exe floating around, 8341kb. DOES NOT complete the ADB drivers necessary.

After installing the v1.4.6 drivers mentioned above, golden!

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Spoke too soon.

ADB recognizes it when it's booted in ICS, but while in the bootloader, it's not picked up. Thus fastboot commands won't work!

Windows 7 gives me a Android 1.0 driver not installed error.

Anyone?

Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
[ROM] Wicked v5.1
[Recovery] TWRP 2.5.0.2
------------
Galaxy Nexus GSM
[ROM] XenonHD vXVIII
[Build] JZO54K 4.1.2
[Kernel] Leankernel 4.7exp2-180/interactive/deadline
[Recovery] TWRP 2.3.3.0
[Radio] I9250XXLF1
[Bootloader] PRIMELC03
------------
HP Touchpad 32gb
[ROM] Jcsullins 7/14/13 build with battery fix

wilskywalker
Old
(Last edited by wilskywalker; 4th December 2011 at 08:13 PM.) Reason: To include a quote
Thanks Meter 358
Default PdaNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Thanks for posting your experience.

Another problem I found, was that there's a different SamsungDriver.exe floating around, 8341kb. DOES NOT complete the ADB drivers necessary.

After installing the v1.4.6 drivers mentioned above, golden!

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Spoke too soon.

ADB recognizes it when it's booted in ICS, but while in the bootloader, it's not picked up. Thus fastboot commands won't work!

Windows 7 gives me a Android 1.0 driver not installed error.

Anyone?

I had no end of problems getting adb and fastboot working for GN due to the usb driver problems.

After much Google-ing...

I installed PdaNet on my laptop and this installed all required drivers in the process of installing, you can then un-install PdaNet and the required drivers are still on your system.

I now have adb and fastboot working for both my Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus phones on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to XDA member el3ctrik for this tip!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilskywalker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waylo
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Thanks, figured it out just after you posted. The PDANet drivers were the trick, in #3 below (don't need to actually run the installation in this case).

You'd think after 1.5 years of playing/hacking/unhacking/fixing and refixing the N1 I'd know how this is supposed to work.

A couple of comments, since some tutorials are based on older installations.

1. Installing android sdk. I went through a crapload of unnecessary trouble in trying to reinstall these, thinking that the usb drivers, adb, and fastboot needed to be updated. NO.
1a. In fact, in trying to reinstall the android sdk, you have to install the Java SDK. THEN, with the latest revision, R15, FASTBOOT IS MISSING! Need to pull that from a r13 zip.

2. You need the CORRECT samsung drivers. The ones mentioned above are the correct ones. I installed some limited half-ass versions which did not do the job.

3. You need FASTBOOT drivers. These were found from this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44&postcount=1

which states:
http://www.fileserve.com/file/5bgRBX5 (PDAnet x86 and x64 which are the fastboot drivers plus android sdk drivers)

The #2 drivers let ADB see it when ICS is running, #3 (and probably #2 too) are needed while in fastboot. To get #3 installed, I had to go to device manager in Win7, hit update driver (next to the error exclamation mark device), and direct to these files.

That is all <whew!>

Galaxy S4 T-Mobile
[ROM] Wicked v5.1
[Recovery] TWRP 2.5.0.2
------------
Galaxy Nexus GSM
[ROM] XenonHD vXVIII
[Build] JZO54K 4.1.2
[Kernel] Leankernel 4.7exp2-180/interactive/deadline
[Recovery] TWRP 2.3.3.0
[Radio] I9250XXLF1
[Bootloader] PRIMELC03
------------
HP Touchpad 32gb
[ROM] Jcsullins 7/14/13 build with battery fix

wilskywalker
Old
Thanks Meter 358
Glad you got it sorted out buddy, I was in exact same boat, years of Nexus One fastboot and adb use, but still had problems!

AMoosa
Old
(Last edited by AMoosa; 7th December 2011 at 01:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 176
I am really struggling to install ADB drivers (for using within ICS). The GNex is in developer debug mode. When I plug in, Device Manager shows the Portable Device, but no other devices are shown. So in this case, i have nothing to right-click to manually install the drivers. There is nothing under Android, or adb, or anything like that. Hope someone can advise...

I got it to appear by changing to PTP mode in the USB Computer COnnection on the phone!! Success.

Kmars
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Windows 7N USB driver issues

First post on this forum, so please bear with me.

I struggled for a few weeks trying to connect my new Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Rogers) to a 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate N machine. The system wouldn't accept the drivers from Samsung - failed to recognize, driver software not successfully installed, etc. Tried all variety of proposed fixes, manually selecting the driver (have disk), downloading SDKs and ADB drivers.

Finally fixed it based on a very old suggestion from several years ago from an HTC user. The USB driver wasn't recognized in the absence of Windows Media Player being installed on the machine (a quirk of Ultimate N). Found the Patch from MS for WMP for 7 Ultimate N and the system immediately recognized and installed the Samsung driver and thus the Nexus is now connected.

Beatsleigher
Old
Thanks Meter 492

DONATE TO ME
Download my toolkit (ROM-Less), it will assist you in that manner!

It has easy instructions, and it will do most of the work itselff!

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoosa View Post
I am really struggling to install ADB drivers (for using within ICS). The GNex is in developer debug mode. When I plug in, Device Manager shows the Portable Device, but no other devices are shown. So in this case, i have nothing to right-click to manually install the drivers. There is nothing under Android, or adb, or anything like that. Hope someone can advise...

I got it to appear by changing to PTP mode in the USB Computer COnnection on the phone!! Success.
Check this, it has all neccesary info/drivers for your device, including fastboot drivers!
Beatsleigher root helper (My toolkit) check it out

Tags
adb, galaxy, nexus, sdk, usb