Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [Q] Migration from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2

OP krneki10

10th March 2013, 03:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
I'm currently on 4.1.2 ROM with ClokworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.0 and I'm going to flash 4.2.2. To my understandings, I should install newer version of recovery - TWRP. Will that erase my previous nandroid backups? Will I be able to restore them if anything goes wrong? Is there anything else I should do besides wiping data/cache?
10th March 2013, 05:03 PM   |  #2  
highvista's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Eugene, OR
Thanks Meter: 51
 
215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krneki10

I'm currently on 4.1.2 ROM with ClokworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.0 and I'm going to flash 4.2.2. To my understandings, I should install newer version of recovery - TWRP. Will that erase my previous nandroid backups? Will I be able to restore them if anything goes wrong? Is there anything else I should do besides wiping data/cache?

I'm in a similar situation. I'm running 4.1.2 and am considering finally trying out 4.2.2. My main hesitancy has been the reports of poor Bluetooth performance, so I want to make sure I can return to 4.1.2, if need be. The thing that's made going back to 4.1.2 so problematic has been the change in the way the internal "SD card" is partitioned.

So, my plan is to do a full Nandroid backup before the upgrade using my current recovery, which is CWM 5.5.0.2, and then using "adb pull" to copy the full contents of my phone storage to my PC. Then I'll upgrade to the latest version of CWM's recovery and update the phone to Android 4.2.2.

If I decide to revert, I'll then do a full wipe of my phone, including the SD card, to get rid of the 4.2.2 partitioning, restore to stock 4.1.2, copy the saved copy of my SD card memory back to the phone from my PC, re-install CWM 5.5.0.2, and then restore from my Nandroid backup.

I know this process will work because I just had to do all but the OS upgrade before sending my phone to Samsung for a screen replacement under warranty--I had bad horizontal striping. I backed it up as described above and then restored it yesterday and all is well.

Hope that helps!
15th March 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Ahmedabad
Thanks Meter: 58
 
175 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvista

I'm in a similar situation. I'm running 4.1.2 and am considering finally trying out 4.2.2. My main hesitancy has been the reports of poor Bluetooth performance, so I want to make sure I can return to 4.1.2, if need be. The thing that's made going back to 4.1.2 so problematic has been the change in the way the internal "SD card" is partitioned.

So, my plan is to do a full Nandroid backup before the upgrade using my current recovery, which is CWM 5.5.0.2, and then using "adb pull" to copy the full contents of my phone storage to my PC. Then I'll upgrade to the latest version of CWM's recovery and update the phone to Android 4.2.2.

If I decide to revert, I'll then do a full wipe of my phone, including the SD card, to get rid of the 4.2.2 partitioning, restore to stock 4.1.2, copy the saved copy of my SD card memory back to the phone from my PC, re-install CWM 5.5.0.2, and then restore from my Nandroid backup.

I know this process will work because I just had to do all but the OS upgrade before sending my phone to Samsung for a screen replacement under warranty--I had bad horizontal striping. I backed it up as described above and then restored it yesterday and all is well.

Hope that helps!

what if i want to restore my call logs and contacts from a backup of 4.1.2 rom to a 4.2.2 rom?? will titanium backup help? or there will be dc's irritating me "android acore stopped working". Please help me and reply fast
15th March 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #4  
highvista's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Eugene, OR
Thanks Meter: 51
 
215 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavthombare

what if i want to restore my call logs and contacts from a backup of 4.1.2 rom to a 4.2.2 rom?? will titanium backup help? or there will be dc's irritating me "android acore stopped working". Please help me and reply fast

Titanium Backup should restore your call logs and contacts with no problem. It has always worked for me when I've had to recover them after a clean install of some sort
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes