wipe cache partitions/dalvik no flash?

26th February 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

41 posts
My phone has been running super laggy lately. Shiny ROM (CDMA) 4.4.2 Rooted. I tried clearing cache and davlik through CWM. Seemed to help for a few days. I usually only wipe cache partition and dalvik before flashing a ROM or something. Without that second step, what (if anything) does this accomplish? Any chance that this temporary lag reduction is a telltale for a particular problem I should know about.

Thanks!
26th February 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #2  
Flag Vlaardingen
Thanks Meter: 291

990 posts
More
Did you wipe data and system before flashing your rom?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
26th February 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by judson75

My phone has been running super laggy lately. Shiny ROM (CDMA) 4.4.2 Rooted. I tried clearing cache and davlik through CWM. Seemed to help for a few days. I usually only wipe cache partition and dalvik before flashing a ROM or something. Without that second step, what (if anything) does this accomplish? Any chance that this temporary lag reduction is a telltale for a particular problem I should know about.

Thanks!

I've never found a convincing answer for your question. But from what I can tell a cache partition is probably meant to keep things the system uses closer at hand. Wiping it will force the system to create a new cache of things it needs and may possibly improve performance. However I believe the guys from google are good enough to keep a caching system that doesn't "age" (I mean it shouldn't slow down with time).
I believe the reason it should be wiped when you flash a new rom, is because a new system should create it's own cache...

Anyway, if I were you, I'd try flashing a new kernel. Personally I find Fancy Kernel to be the best. I've tried a few and they all let me down eventually. Fancy Kernel has helped in android 4.3 when my phone was getting extremely laggy with franco kernel. It was like buying a new phone.
I've recently used Dirty V that came with OmniMetal Rom and, although it was fast, it used too much battery. Once again Fancy Kernel helped with that issue and the phone is just as fast.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread