5,598,086 Members 42,787 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it worth putting a custom rom on this phone or just root it?

Tip us?

aliensquale
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Is it worth putting a custom rom on this phone or just root it?

I just got the nexus for Verizon. From what I understand, this phone is purely google apps.. No verizon junk apps right?

So is it safe to say that the phone stock is as clean and fast as possible?

I have Titanium backups of user apps from my old Droid charge phone which runs a custom rom.. So I want to restore those apps on the new nexus... I assume I need at least root to run titanium backup on the nexus right?

So would it make sense to install a custom rom after I get root? I don't want a phone that is unreliable.. This is the only phone in my house.

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Technically the Verizon version isn't pure like the GSM version, I think they added one or two Verizon crapps. But I'd root it no question, only adds function. I ran stock with root for months. Just tried aokp rom and it is beyond my expectations, I should have switched sooner.
My boring Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
ROM: AOKP 29 4.0.4
Recovery: CWM Touch

housry23
Old
Thanks Meter 733
Do NOT!!! Restore data from apps on your Droid Charge. You can however install just the apps. I want to warn you though that even just installing those apps from your other device could cause bugs, freeze ups and/or random reboots. Yes even user apps. It is probably best to just reinstall them from the Play Store. It really is easy to do since now the Play store has a tab in my apps that shows all the apps you've ever installed. I would not recommend installing apps from a TB from another device and definitely don't reinstall any app data.

blackdesp
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If you want pure google, you have to install factory image from google.

You have to be rooted to use tibu.

I was a custom rom fan, till the G1 days. But after installed factory image, i am happy with my phone. Indtead of installing custom roms, i prefer to do some little tweaks. I recommend this way.

aliensquale
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Technically the Verizon version isn't pure like the GSM version, I think they added one or two Verizon crapps. But I'd root it no question, only adds function. I ran stock with root for months. Just tried aokp rom and it is beyond my expectations, I should have switched sooner.
What differences did you notice with the aokp rom versus stock?
What kernel are you running? Is kernel included in the rom?

I want the cleanest, fastest speed and best battery life.. I don't care about any other customizations or themes.. I run GoLauncher with my own backup of home screens.

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquale View Post
What differences did you notice with the aokp rom versus stock?
What kernel are you running? Is kernel included in the rom?

I want the cleanest, fastest speed and best battery life.. I don't care about any other customizations or themes.. I run GoLauncher with my own backup of home screens.
I'm just running the stock kernel. I just flashed aokp and running it as is. Personally I like the extra options I get like status bar control and nav button control. I don't oc or UV or other stuff, just like it stock. You can keep your phone stock if you want, I ran stock for months. Why not just create a backup then try aokp and return to your backup if you want. That way you can see for yourself.
My boring Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
ROM: AOKP 29 4.0.4
Recovery: CWM Touch

chopper the dog
Old
Thanks Meter 730
This thread is full of deja vu.

good day.
$3 charging dock for the galaxy nexus. SEE HERE.
If I annoyed you. Hit the thanks button.
The Following User Says Thank You to chopper the dog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aliensquale
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Any speed difference with this rom versus stock?

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 936
Stock .4. Plenty of speed and battery. Stable too. Possible radio issues though. Workarounds though that work great.

bow chicka wow wow.

shohratshankar
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Thumbs up Worth It

I bought my Galaxy Nexus, immediately rooted it and then ran it on stock for a couple of days.
Wanted more flexibility or ability to choose with Nav bar and lockscreen. Tried a few ROMS and then got to AOKP b31 with franco kernel milestone 2.
It is smooth, fast and stable with great battery life. NO FCs or reboots at all.
I am running default settings on the kernel, no UV or OC.

I am glad I did it.
Shoks Shankar

N7100 Galaxy Note 2 Jelly Kat
N5100 Galaxy Note 8.0 CIV-Flex Beam 3.4
Asus Nexus 7 3g- Stock 4.3
i9250 Galaxy Nexus- stock 4.3
Acer Iconia A500- JB AOKP

Life is an Adventure......Explore it!!