FORUMS

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

Is it worth putting a custom rom on this phone or just root it?

200 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By aliensquale, Senior Member on 15th April 2012, 01:46 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I just got the nexus for Verizon. From what I understand, this phone is purely google apps.. No verizon junk apps right?

So is it safe to say that the phone stock is as clean and fast as possible?

I have Titanium backups of user apps from my old Droid charge phone which runs a custom rom.. So I want to restore those apps on the new nexus... I assume I need at least root to run titanium backup on the nexus right?

So would it make sense to install a custom rom after I get root? I don't want a phone that is unreliable.. This is the only phone in my house.

15th April 2012, 02:09 PM |#2  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 400

More
Technically the Verizon version isn't pure like the GSM version, I think they added one or two Verizon crapps. But I'd root it no question, only adds function. I ran stock with root for months. Just tried aokp rom and it is beyond my expectations, I should have switched sooner.
15th April 2012, 02:16 PM |#3  
Flag Springfield, OH
Thanks Meter: 863

More
Do NOT!!! Restore data from apps on your Droid Charge. You can however install just the apps. I want to warn you though that even just installing those apps from your other device could cause bugs, freeze ups and/or random reboots. Yes even user apps. It is probably best to just reinstall them from the Play Store. It really is easy to do since now the Play store has a tab in my apps that shows all the apps you've ever installed. I would not recommend installing apps from a TB from another device and definitely don't reinstall any app data.
15th April 2012, 02:20 PM |#4  

More
If you want pure google, you have to install factory image from google.

You have to be rooted to use tibu.

I was a custom rom fan, till the G1 days. But after installed factory image, i am happy with my phone. Indtead of installing custom roms, i prefer to do some little tweaks. I recommend this way.
15th April 2012, 02:27 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter

Technically the Verizon version isn't pure like the GSM version, I think they added one or two Verizon crapps. But I'd root it no question, only adds function. I ran stock with root for months. Just tried aokp rom and it is beyond my expectations, I should have switched sooner.

What differences did you notice with the aokp rom versus stock?
What kernel are you running? Is kernel included in the rom?

I want the cleanest, fastest speed and best battery life.. I don't care about any other customizations or themes.. I run GoLauncher with my own backup of home screens.
15th April 2012, 03:59 PM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 400

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquale

What differences did you notice with the aokp rom versus stock?
What kernel are you running? Is kernel included in the rom?

I want the cleanest, fastest speed and best battery life.. I don't care about any other customizations or themes.. I run GoLauncher with my own backup of home screens.

I'm just running the stock kernel. I just flashed aokp and running it as is. Personally I like the extra options I get like status bar control and nav button control. I don't oc or UV or other stuff, just like it stock. You can keep your phone stock if you want, I ran stock for months. Why not just create a backup then try aokp and return to your backup if you want. That way you can see for yourself.
15th April 2012, 04:22 PM |#7  
Flag The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
Thanks Meter: 744

More
This thread is full of deja vu.

good day.
The Following User Says Thank You to chopper the dog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th April 2012, 04:40 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Any speed difference with this rom versus stock?
15th April 2012, 05:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 982

More
Stock .4. Plenty of speed and battery. Stable too. Possible radio issues though. Workarounds though that work great.

bow chicka wow wow.
15th April 2012, 08:20 PM |#10  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Thumbs up Worth It
I bought my Galaxy Nexus, immediately rooted it and then ran it on stock for a couple of days.
Wanted more flexibility or ability to choose with Nav bar and lockscreen. Tried a few ROMS and then got to AOKP b31 with franco kernel milestone 2.
It is smooth, fast and stable with great battery life. NO FCs or reboots at all.
I am running default settings on the kernel, no UV or OC.

I am glad I did it.
15th April 2012, 08:33 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shohratshankar

I bought my Galaxy Nexus, immediately rooted it and then ran it on stock for a couple of days.
Wanted more flexibility or ability to choose with Nav bar and lockscreen. Tried a few ROMS and then got to AOKP b31 with franco kernel milestone 2.
It is smooth, fast and stable with great battery life. NO FCs or reboots at all.
I am running default settings on the kernel, no UV or OC.

I am glad I did it.

That's what i plan on doing too right away, that same setup. What instruction set did you follow?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread