5,599,616 Members 44,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it worth it to upgrade to Nexus 5?

Tip us?

jerfy
Old
(Last edited by jerfy; 23rd February 2014 at 12:20 AM.) Reason: additional info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Is it worth it to upgrade to Nexus 5?

I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it to upgrade my GNex yet. I want to know what other people are thinking or have done. While my GNex is still on JB stock and laggy as hell it's still bearable for me (most of the time).

I am eligible for an upgrade and my provider is offering me 5 dollars off my current plan if I do upgrade to a Gnex5. Not sure what to do. I know I can root my phone again (although it's glitched and won't let me so I gave up) to put a speedier ROM - I'm still not sure.

What would you guys do, or what do you think? Should I wait for the Gnex6?

Edit: I'd like to note my carrier tends to put out phones quite slowly compared to others.. like Rogers (I'm in Canada on Fido) The upgrade for me would essentially only be 141 "Fido Dollars" they're waiving the activation fee + the difference which is about 50 dollars. The five dollars off my plan is permanent

evilnoxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm facing the same dilemma, although for me it's a lot simpler. Since I live in Portugal, the best deal for an unlocked Nexus 5 is 400€ which is about 550usd. Also my galaxy nexus isn't laggy at all having a kitkat rom with fancy kernel. So, in my case, either the price drops a lot, my galaxy nexus breaks down, or I wait for another nexus iteration.
In your case, 5$ * 12 months = 60$ in savings on your phone bill. Fido Dollars seem to be something you've accumulated over time, and so the 50$ difference you have to pay is covered by the savings over a year. So if I were you I'd probably upgrade.

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 215
It depends on what youre doing with your phone and if it still suits you. For example. I use my Nexus 10 for gaming and playing videos and my phone for browsing.. So my phone doesnt have to be beefy with a great cpu or gpu. The gnex is still perfect for me and I love it..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir