Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 53,723 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Yellow screen tint?

Tip us?

evahnyird
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexum View Post
I returned my first galaxy nexus because it had a 3mm horizontal black bar on a black screen.

The new one (black bar replacement) has a reddish tint on the upper half just like enaybee's. the bottom half replicates true color and the color balance is spot on.

The reddish tint is extremely noticeable when the screen displays dim whites and light to medium grey. I can even notice it when the backlight is maxed out and looking at the same tones mentioned.

Ive only had this phone for a week and the problems with the amoled display seems widespread.

Does any one know if I can get a replacement for a replaced galaxy nexus? The reddish screen effect isnt a total deal breaker but, when i buy something new, i expect perfection and wouldnt want to hold onto a blemished (slight defect screen) for two years.
I've gotten four phones so far... All slightly better than the previous one. The one I have now has a slight pinkish tint in the upper left and yellowish towards the bottom/mid right. I don't know how Samsung thought these issues were okay enough to ship devices. Verizon treated me very rudely when I asked them to replace this phone (I might try calling support or something), and basically pretended they couldn't see the issue. I'm also afraid I will get a worse looking phone as a replacement... And I really cannot keep exchanging this thing forever.

neok44
Old
(Last edited by neok44; 26th December 2011 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
don't do that!! as blue amoled is the one dies the quickest and make it brighter will kill it even faster.
and what is even faster? 100 years?

these LEDs have an insanely long life, i doubt that that boost would do much of anything.

i just tried it out, and though the +5 to blue does help in a few of the apps that i noticed the yellow, overall i don't like it since it adds blue to blacks.

honestly, the only app that i've really noticed the yellow is Hextacy, everywhere else looks amazing, even videos have their right colors. but a few apps have the yellow. found it kinda strange, and annoying, but i've just dealt with it. Still have my N1 around so i can always play hextacy on that.

cosine83
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Pretty much anytime the screen has a majority of white displayed (browser, GMail, etc.) there's a very heavy yellow tint to the screen. I'm considering swapping out at my VZW store unless there's a way to change color profiles properly.

neok44
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine83 View Post
Pretty much anytime the screen has a majority of white displayed (browser, GMail, etc.) there's a very heavy yellow tint to the screen. I'm considering swapping out at my VZW store unless there's a way to change color profiles properly.
just finally noticed that mine does have the tint and it's the same here, if theres lots of white you can see the tint, but in very colorful or dark screens theres nothing.

i saw in a post on page 3 that possibly someone is working on some sort of fix.

i have the GSM version, and i don't feel like dealing with negri to get a replacement. and honestly, it's bearable and 90% of the time it looks just fine IMO.

bigsnack
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Odd when I was in store playing with one I noticed there was more of a blueish hue to things, and the Coke Cola site looked more orange than red. Oddly enough the Droid Razr, which also is of the AMOLED variant rendered the site more correctly than the Galaxy Nexus and the the HTC Thunderbolt and Rezound with their S-LCD displays.

Crazy CS
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Is there any update on whether something can be done about it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

chrisexv6
Old
Thanks Meter 235
SuperCurio handled creating the Voodoo stuff for the Fascinate (Voodoo Color, Sound, etc) and various other phones. He is currently working on the Note AFAIK.

I believe he said he would look at the GNex if there was enough interest which Im guessing there is.

Once he has it ready to go, it will make the screen color temp issues a whole lot better. I believe he interfaces directly into the controller for the AMOLEDs so we might have a better shot at fixing the warm tint without introducing blue into pure black.

Crazy CS
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Anyway we can make enough noise so he notices that there are enough people that need this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

alias3800
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I had this problem up until yesterday, when I exchanged the phone for a new one. Luckily, I have the CDMA version and was able to do that at Verizon. Samsung has serious issues with their qc and this proves it. Unlike others, I didn't have to through several replacements, as this phone I received now DOES NOT have the tint. In other words, if you can, don't accept it and exchange it. That yellow tint had me up he wall and wanting to not read anything on the phone. Shifting the phone 10 degrees would grant me a blue tint and looking at it straight on produced a yellow-orange tint. Hated it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigsnack
Old
Thanks Meter 36
How does the Coke site look to people who don't have the color issue? What about to those with the tint issue? Thanks.