Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can I use MHL to display video output on my computer?

OP dreamwave

25th June 2014, 10:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunapee, New Hampshire
Thanks Meter: 71

416 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have an acer aspire 7560, it does have an hdmi port, but I don't want to have to buy an adapter for something that I don't know would even work for video input. I want to know: is there some way that I can use a normal, oem supplied, usb cable for this and simply connect it to the computer, figure out some stuff on the ubuntu end, and just use my laptop as an external display?
4th July 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag Reading, PA
Thanks Meter: 131

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Originally Posted by dreamwave

I have an acer aspire 7560, it does have an hdmi port, but I don't want to have to buy an adapter for something that I don't know would even work for video input. I want to know: is there some way that I can use a normal, oem supplied, usb cable for this and simply connect it to the computer, figure out some stuff on the ubuntu end, and just use my laptop as an external display?

Short answer: no
Explanation: your HDMI port is solely for outbound connections only, to a TV or monitor. There are very few laptops that have the ability to receive an HDMI input.
As for doing it with USB there are third party apps like BBQDroid and MirrorOp that will let you, but its nearly impractical for the Nexus. Trust me, I've been trying for over a year to get even the right ROM/kernel combo to maintain a reasonable lagfree experience using them and its hopeless. We don't have the power. Sure, you can do it. But don't expect to do anything without huge performance drops.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhart6505 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunapee, New Hampshire
Thanks Meter: 71

416 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have a new tv that supports hdmi, but it also has usb 2.0 in, and I do not have a hdmi mhl adapter. Would a normal oem cable work for that?
7th July 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #4  
Flag Reading, PA
Thanks Meter: 131

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave

I have a new tv that supports hdmi, but it also has usb 2.0 in, and I do not have a hdmi mhl adapter. Would a normal oem cable work for that?

Nope. USB port on your TV is for connecting media devices with music/videos/pictures and does not support the feature your looking for.
I have had success using the Mirror for CM11 application by koush with Airserver on my PC. Info to get it here. You must join the community and beta before it shows up in Play Store.
It works over WiFi network so long as your PC has AirServer, which is an Apple app supposed to be for idevices but the app picks it up anyway. The free version of Airserver is only 7 day trial. It will slow your phone down somewhat, but not anywhere near as bad as other apps. I've used it some, and it works well. But it has limited use with only a trial for Airserver. Such a bummer there, but give it a shot for the 7 days and support it and koush if you it
Good luck
Last edited by dragonhart6505; 7th July 2014 at 01:57 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread