Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,241 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I use MHL to display video output on my computer?

Tip us?

dreamwave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
Default Can I use MHL to display video output on my computer?

I have an acer aspire 7560, it does have an hdmi port, but I don't want to have to buy an adapter for something that I don't know would even work for video input. I want to know: is there some way that I can use a normal, oem supplied, usb cable for this and simply connect it to the computer, figure out some stuff on the ubuntu end, and just use my laptop as an external display?
Flamers and Trolls may break my bones but thanks will always help me...

dragonhart6505
Old
Thanks Meter 125

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave View Post
I have an acer aspire 7560, it does have an hdmi port, but I don't want to have to buy an adapter for something that I don't know would even work for video input. I want to know: is there some way that I can use a normal, oem supplied, usb cable for this and simply connect it to the computer, figure out some stuff on the ubuntu end, and just use my laptop as an external display?
Short answer: no
Explanation: your HDMI port is solely for outbound connections only, to a TV or monitor. There are very few laptops that have the ability to receive an HDMI input.
As for doing it with USB there are third party apps like BBQDroid and MirrorOp that will let you, but its nearly impractical for the Nexus. Trust me, I've been trying for over a year to get even the right ROM/kernel combo to maintain a reasonable lagfree experience using them and its hopeless. We don't have the power. Sure, you can do it. But don't expect to do anything without huge performance drops.
Currently in my pocket:
ZTE Awe N800:Running my first built custom rom!

You will be missed :
Motorola Droid Razr M (Unlocked)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (VZW/Flashed to PPC)
HTC Evo Shift 4g
Motorola Milestone
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid X
Samsung Intercept - my Android cherry popped <(^_^)>

IF YOU LIKE MY SUPPORT, WHY NOT LEND A FEW BUCKS?

You should totally check out my YouTube
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhart6505 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreamwave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
I have a new tv that supports hdmi, but it also has usb 2.0 in, and I do not have a hdmi mhl adapter. Would a normal oem cable work for that?
Flamers and Trolls may break my bones but thanks will always help me...

dragonhart6505
Old
(Last edited by dragonhart6505; 7th July 2014 at 12:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 125

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwave View Post
I have a new tv that supports hdmi, but it also has usb 2.0 in, and I do not have a hdmi mhl adapter. Would a normal oem cable work for that?
Nope. USB port on your TV is for connecting media devices with music/videos/pictures and does not support the feature your looking for.
I have had success using the Mirror for CM11 application by koush with Airserver on my PC. Info to get it here. You must join the community and beta before it shows up in Play Store.
It works over WiFi network so long as your PC has AirServer, which is an Apple app supposed to be for idevices but the app picks it up anyway. The free version of Airserver is only 7 day trial. It will slow your phone down somewhat, but not anywhere near as bad as other apps. I've used it some, and it works well. But it has limited use with only a trial for Airserver. Such a bummer there, but give it a shot for the 7 days and support it and koush if you it
Good luck
Currently in my pocket:
ZTE Awe N800:Running my first built custom rom!

You will be missed :
Motorola Droid Razr M (Unlocked)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (VZW/Flashed to PPC)
HTC Evo Shift 4g
Motorola Milestone
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid X
Samsung Intercept - my Android cherry popped <(^_^)>

IF YOU LIKE MY SUPPORT, WHY NOT LEND A FEW BUCKS?

You should totally check out my YouTube