[MOD] NFC With the Screen Off

OP Geniusdog254

27th August 2012, 08:22 PM   |  #131  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
I can confirm that the nfcmod_screenoff.zip does NOT work on Samsung Nexus S with official Android 4.1.1 (JRO03E). Nor did the nfcmod_stock.zip. Luckily, I did a full backup before testing
28th August 2012, 08:20 AM   |  #132  
Thanks Meter: 254

1,206 posts
guessing from the filenames you just installed the files from first post without even reading it... Stock JB version is in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=112
30th August 2012, 07:31 PM   |  #133  
Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 10

103 posts
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation Battery Life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XlAfbk

Attached is a version for CM10 based JellyBean ROMs. This should work on CM10, AOKP and similar ROMs. Only the screenoff version is available, lockscreen version doesn't work. Make a backup of your Nfc.apk before applying this one!

For Stock JB ROMs use the modded apk in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=112

Install instructions:
1. backup your /system/app/Nfc.apk
2. push Nfc_screenoff.apk to /system/app/Nfc.apk or use a root-enabled file manager to replace the file
3. reboot

For reference I'm also attaching a .diff of the changes I made. If you try this at home it's important to (bak)smali the classes.dex file and replace it in the original apk, recompiling it as a whole always broke NFC functionality for me.

Do you think this will increase battery usage?
30th August 2012, 07:36 PM   |  #134  

1,206 posts
nope, it won't.

BTW, CM10 and AOKP have added a NFC mode option which enables users to choose when NFC should be active: unlocked, screen on, always.
30th August 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #135  
Flag Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 22

1,000 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

nope, it won't.

BTW, CM10 and AOKP have added a NFC mode option which enables users to choose when NFC should be active: unlocked, screen on, always.

When was this added to CMX? I know AOKP has it & I read CM was implementing it but I haven't seen it
30th August 2012, 11:00 PM   |  #136  
Ripon, UK
Thanks Meter: 9

108 posts
More
Quote:

nope, it won't.

Been trying to find this, where is the setting within cm10?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
31st August 2012, 07:47 AM   |  #137  

1,206 posts
hm, it seems that it's only in Euroskank. Thought I had read it in an CM nightly changelog. My bad!
1st September 2012, 06:20 PM   |  #138  

1,206 posts
CM10 version, updated
CM10 recently (in cm-10-20120831-NIGHTLY) changed something about Nfc.apk, so here's the new mod
Attached Files
File Type: apk Nfc_screenoff.apk - [Click for QR Code] (212.2 KB, 409 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to XlAfbk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2012, 10:23 PM   |  #139  
Thanks Meter: 26

199 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by je55ter

I managed to get this working on my gsm GNex running stock Jelly Bean, by manually applying the changes in XlAfbk's diff file to the Nfc.apk/odex files in my phone. I'm attaching my modded apk here for others running stock JB to try, but of course, I make no guarantees that it will work for everyone.

One thing to be aware of (as it tripped me up the first time I tried). If you use a file browser with root access to copy this into your /system/app directory, you may need to adjust permissions on it after copying before it will work. Permissions should be rw-r--r--.

Also, of course make sure to backup your original files (and if you copied them to another directory, you may need to reset the permissions on your backed up files after you restore them.)

Quote:

rename your /system/app/Nfc.apk to Nfc.bak
if you have a /system/app/Nfc.odex rename it to Nfc.odex.bak
Push Nfc-screenoff.apk to /system/app/Nfc.apk
reboot

I can confirm as well that following these instructions does not work on Bugless Beast (Jelly Bean) on my VZW Galaxy Nexus, which is supposed to be as close to stock as possible. (It is not based off CM). I even wiped cache and dalvik cache. NFC completely doesn't work with this file and the NFC options disappear from the settings menu too.
28th September 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #140  
Thanks Meter: 11

165 posts
Quote:

CM10 recently (in cm-10-20120831-NIGHTLY) changed something about Nfc.apk, so here's the new mod

Just curious if you were planning on releasing a screen-on/lockscreen version?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread