5,606,297 Members 32,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toroplus port)

Tip us?

kdb424
Old
(Last edited by kdb424; 22nd February 2013 at 01:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] Ubuntu Developer Preview (Toroplus port)

Props goes to eng.stk for how to unofficially flash the GSM images. I have modified his quote to include this devices links, and Im' sorry for not asking to quote him. The only credit I take is for modifying one line to make it flash to our devices. The rest goes to the UbuntuOS team and eng.stk
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post38285911
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.stk View Post
For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
2. Factory Reset
3. Grab toroplus_ubuntu.zip and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
4. Flash toroplus_ubuntu.zip
5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee )
6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
7. Profit

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
If you are paranoid, just copy your stuff from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
Quote modified to include CORRECT links for our build. I left the rest in tact.

The only thing I did was modify the line so that the zip would be willing to flash to the toroplus. It does not have CMDA/LTE connection, but it does flash and work on WIFI just fine. With it's limited uses ATM, I believe that getting working radios would be useless, and I only have a Verizon toro (though I know for a fact that this boots). Try it and see what I mean. Do not wipe system, or it will not boot.

Thanks to warp64 for being the first tester to upload a picture.

Verizon thread is here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38300019
Questions?
Current:
Nook HD+
ROM: CM10.1/Arch Linux

Retired:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Toro)
Rom: Paranoid Android
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stevie13.xo
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Default Re: UbuntuOS (Toroplus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb424 View Post
Quote modified to include CORRECT links for our build. I left the rest in tact.

The only thing I did was modify the line so that the zip would be willing to flash to the toroplus. It does not have CMDA/LTE connection, but it does flash and work on WIFI just fine. With it's limited uses ATM, I believe that getting working radios would be useless, and I only have a Verizon toro (though I know for a fact that this boots). Try it and see what I mean. Do not wipe system, or it will not boot.

Screenshot was on my Verizon galaxy Nexus, this build is for the SPRINT VERSION ONLY!

Verizon thread is here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38300019
Questions?
I am so ready to try this just wish it had a working phone connection

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevie13.xo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kdb424
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
If I can get a toro phone working, I'll come try this with a helper, but I don't own this, and can't manage to get the toro working (Even though I ported a GSM android rom to verizon, no clue). It could be the base image. I'll work on it further once we get a more fully functioning GSM release. It's good for all developers now thaugh as long as you don't need CDMA features as WIFI still works fine.
Current:
Nook HD+

Retired:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eisenbathb
Old
Thanks Meter 75

Will we have to flash the zips each time to boot it or could we make a nandroid of it and just flash back?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Jimlarck
Old
Thanks Meter 1166

Kdb I love you no homo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimlarck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

warp64
Old
(Last edited by warp64; 22nd February 2013 at 12:06 AM.) Reason: pics
Thanks Meter 21
Wink UbuntuOS (Toroplus)

It will run somewhat on the Sprint Samsung Nexus! Was able to connect to my homes network. Also was able to log in to facebook . Made a backup of my CM10.1 with CWM. Was able to install and boot the Ubuntu OS.I then made a backup of Ubuntu, and was able to restore my CM10.1 with CWM. Cant wait for the A** kicking Devs of XDA to get their teeth on this!! Would be great to be able to duelboot both OS on my Nexus! BTW,MY HAT IS OFF TO kdb424 FOR posting this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130221_183634.jpg
Views:	2684
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	1750052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130221_184339.jpg
Views:	2683
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	1750053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130221_184120.jpg
Views:	2516
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	1750054  
The Following User Says Thank You to warp64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jsufx
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Awesome! I am so excited. Cheers!

An UrgeT Dance
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Anyone flash it yet and can confirm it works? Also have you gone back to Android from Ubuntu yet?

kdb424
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenbathb View Post
Will we have to flash the zips each time to boot it or could we make a nandroid of it and just flash back?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Works just like an android ROM and in fact, has some parts of Cyanogenmod in it (check the build.prop if you don't believe me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimlarck View Post
Kdb I love you no homo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Just doin my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp64 View Post
It will run somewhat on the Sprint Samsung Nexus! Was able to connect to my homes network. Also was able to log in to facebook . Made a backup of my CM10.1 with CWM. Was able to install and boot the Ubuntu OS.I then made a backup of Ubuntu, and was able to restore my CM10.1 with CWM. Cant wait for the A** kicking Devs of XDA to get their teeth on this!! Would be great to be able to duelboot both OS on my Nexus! BTW,MY HAT IS OFF TO kdb424 FOR posting this!!
It's not gonna be much better untill they have a full release. It's not open source quite yet, nor is it ready to use even on GSM. Once the full release and source comes out, we will all have a field day. I MAY (no promise) be able to get calls/texts working on this after their porting guide comes online. I may have just done something dumb. I'll keep the first post up to date.
Current:
Nook HD+

Retired:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kdb424
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by An UrgeT Dance View Post
Anyone flash it yet and can confirm it works? Also have you gone back to Android from Ubuntu yet?
Pictures a couple of posts up of a successful flash.
Current:
Nook HD+

Retired:

The Following User Says Thank You to kdb424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]