Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,594 Members 53,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.3.3+][NFC] NFC ReTAG --> re-use write protected NFC tags

Tip us?

champ91
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry, this is all very new to me and I'm coming from a iPhone 4. My last android phone was the nexus one and I only had it for a very short time.

From my understanding, if I have some NFC cards that I no longer use. I can change how my phone reads them? Say if I had an old NFC hotel card that would have opened a hotel door. I can make my phone read that card to do something else? Like turn on/off wifi or gps? Where I'm kind of confused I guess is why would I want to do that if I could just press the wifi or gps on/off button on my phone?

ascsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ91 View Post
Sorry, this is all very new to me and I'm coming from a iPhone 4. My last android phone was the nexus one and I only had it for a very short time.

From my understanding, if I have some NFC cards that I no longer use. I can change how my phone reads them? Say if I had an old NFC hotel card that would have opened a hotel door. I can make my phone read that card to do something else? Like turn on/off wifi or gps? Where I'm kind of confused I guess is why would I want to do that if I could just press the wifi or gps on/off button on my phone?
Hi champ, good question.

Sure you can just press the wifi button on your phone to disable wifi ... But imagine some more complex use cases , for example:
In your car you want to disable Wifi, enable bluetooth, start your mediaplayer, launch the navigation app and add an timestamp in your calendar for time tracking ....How much keypresses do you need ? I donīt know, but with this app you only need one tag (attached to your car mount if you want ..) to do all this ....and much more ...

and yeah, you donīt have to buy a writable nfc tag for this app, you just can use your old NFC hotel card ...

gotmlk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Great App!

Thank you man for this app, that was everything I was searching for!

Just a request: can you plug a "device_id" parameter.

i.e: I want to send the device_id to an url like this:

nfc.php?d=DEVICE_ID

What do you think about this feature?

By the way, thanks again!

ascsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmlk View Post
Thank you man for this app, that was everything I was searching for!

Just a request: can you plug a "device_id" parameter.

i.e: I want to send the device_id to an url like this:

nfc.php?d=DEVICE_ID

What do you think about this feature?

By the way, thanks again!
If I understand you right, you want to identify your devices via the tag and send this information to an url ... interesting idea !

Keep in mind that the tag doesnīt store any information, therefore you have to setup the url on each device ...and you could setup a different URL on every device (URL --> try the "Browse" feature! ... e.g. nfc.php?d=DEVICE_1, nfc.php?d=DEVICE_2, nfc.php?d=DEVICE_3 etc.)

Ok, itīs a little bit static, and for a large number of user/ devices not a perfect solution, but should work e.g. if you only want to identify your own 3 devices... Iīm sure with Tasker you could make it even a little more dynamic ....

In general, adding a device_id shouldnīt be to complicated. In fact, in two of my other apps (Hidden Features Free ICS and Hidden Features Free Sammy (for samsungs phones with touchwiz (--> NO NEXUS! )) I added an "Show Android ID" Button ... but depending on your use case Iīm not sure if you really need the android id or just an simple identifier ...

If you need this feature for a larger user basis or want to use it as something like a plugin, send me an email with your detailed requirements, perhaps some features currently under development will fit your request and I can incorporate your requirements

;)

champ91
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascsa View Post
Hi champ, good question.

Sure you can just press the wifi button on your phone to disable wifi ... But imagine some more complex use cases , for example:
In your car you want to disable Wifi, enable bluetooth, start your mediaplayer, launch the navigation app and add an timestamp in your calendar for time tracking ....How much keypresses do you need ? I donīt know, but with this app you only need one tag (attached to your car mount if you want ..) to do all this ....and much more ...

and yeah, you donīt have to buy a writable nfc tag for this app, you just can use your old NFC hotel card ...
I get it now, thanks. I can use my work pass too right because it doesn't rewrite the pass but rather how your phone reads it. I can still use my pass to get into my office?

ascsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
I get it now, thanks. I can use my work pass too right because it doesn't rewrite the pass but rather how your phone reads it. I can still use my pass to get into my office?
Yes, sure you can ....

The app does not need to write anything on the tag ...It just reads the id of the tag and stores it in an locale database on your phone ... and then you can associate multiple activities via the database to this id ....the next time the device reads the id the activities will start ....

Beside that, I think your office pass is probably encrypted and write protected ... so you shouldnīt be able to change anything on it, even if you want ... ;)
The Following User Says Thank You to ascsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

champ91
Old
(Last edited by champ91; 27th February 2012 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascsa View Post
Yes, sure you can ....

The app does not need to write anything on the tag ...It just reads the id of the tag and stores it in an locale database on your phone ... and then you can associate multiple activities via the database to this id ....the next time the device reads the id the activities will start ....

Beside that, I think your office pass is probably encrypted and write protected ... so you shouldnīt be able to change anything on it, even if you want ... ;)
my work pass didn't work, maybe it doesn't have nfc. but I got it to work on my paypass credit card. I made it turn on wifi and Bluetooth. Pretty sweet but probably not too practical... Haha...Still cool though.thanks

rye&ginger
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
my work pass didn't work, maybe it doesn't have nfc. but I got it to work on my paypass credit card. I made it turn on wifi and Bluetooth. Pretty sweet but probably not too practical... Haha...Still cool though.thanks

Set an alert to ask you if you really, really want to be buying whatever you may be buying?
Nexus 5 :: stock rooted | Nexus 7 :: stock rooted

akoepke
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Just downloaded this on my Galaxy Nexus and am waiting for some NFC tags to arrive as I don't have any spare

I don't think the tech is as widely used over here in Australia as yet.

I noticed that you had a setting where we can adjust the ringer mode but there isn't a setting to adjust the volume. It would be great if we could tell the app to adjust the ringer volume to a certain level. I am mainly thinking that when I get my car dock to have it set so that it adjusts to around 75% volume level instead of whatever I had it set to.

kyle25
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoepke View Post
Just downloaded this on my Galaxy Nexus and am waiting for some NFC tags to arrive as I don't have any spare

I don't think the tech is as widely used over here in Australia as yet.

I noticed that you had a setting where we can adjust the ringer mode but there isn't a setting to adjust the volume. It would be great if we could tell the app to adjust the ringer volume to a certain level. I am mainly thinking that when I get my car dock to have it set so that it adjusts to around 75% volume level instead of whatever I had it set to.
+1 could use the volume settings as well

Tags
galaxy nexus, launcher, nfc, nfc retag, tag