Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 38,007 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] 'ODEX ME': Odexing deodexed roms for a BOOST IN PERFORMANCE

Tip us?

flolep
Old
(Last edited by flolep; 15th May 2013 at 11:58 AM.) Reason: adding framework odexing information
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 215
Default [APP] 'ODEX ME': Odexing deodexed roms for a BOOST IN PERFORMANCE

Hello Galaxy Nexus Xda Users!

Informations:

Here is a simple apk to odex automatically, easily and securely deodexed roms.

This apk has been coded by the famous Paul Obrien from Modaco Roms and Forums.

This guy is just a genious.

The original apk has been done for Galaxy S II but it works on Galaxy Nexus (tested working). --> Original thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1215271

Paul is even using it in his own Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Custom Rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1487056

But I tested the apk on other 4.0.3 deodexed roms that you can find in the development section of the Galaxy Nexus and it is working perfectly (Aokp odexed rom is wonderful...)

Odexing a deodexed rom is giving you a boost in smoothness (you can see it in the launcher or in scrolling through system apps), performance and battery.

It gives you the flexibility to have a custom rom with modified system, framework and design AND all the tweaks that come with a custom rom in addition to the performance of an odexed stock rom.

To use it:

1) make sure you have a custom rooted rom / kernel with init.d support (scripts must be able to run at boot: it is a folder in /system/etc). It is very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts... Thanks to open1your1eyes0 who remarked it.

You can try this useful application to add init.d support to your ROM / kernel: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933849

2) make sure that you don't have transparent status bar before odexing or you will loose your bar after odexing... (for AOKP users for example). Thanks to frantic912 who noticed it.

3) simply put the apk in /system/app folder with a file browser like "Root Explorer" (the folder must be in RW mode to copy the file)

4) do a nandroid backup in cwm and / or titanium backup of all your apps (even the system ones like Gmail)

5) then go to the launcher

6) tap "Odex me"

7) follow the instructions

It will:

1) reboot your phone

2) odex all the system staying on a black screen or on the Google screen a bit longer than normally (but it's normal)

3) put a ".odex" file with each app in /system/app

4) reboot again

5) go back to home

--> You will then see your boost in smoothness!

For people who are not convinced: check that: http://android.stackexchange.com/que...-deodexed-roms

To see if it worked:

- Go to /system/app folder and see if there is a ".odex extension" for each system apk.

I attached the apk to this thread for ease of use.

Please write here your tests, opinions, questions, and thank Paul (and me for giving you this info ) for this wonderful and simple apk.

P.S. Please read reports from other users in the thread before trying the apk as some users seem to loose their status bar if they set transparency effects or some of them are having "force closes" if the rom they are using is too much themed...

P.S.2. Pay attention please, as androidphone2012 intelligently noticed, this apk can only odex *.apk files. The system framework is not odexed by it. To odex the framework too, please use the following script instead. It odexes *.apk files and Framework *.jar files too.

--> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2278586

If you already ran the apk to odex apk files, do not flash that zip: re-flash your ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash the zip.

For your information, I tested the CM10.1 zip from the thread on my AOKP latest nightly build version and it worked flawlessly.
Attached Files
File Type: apk com.modaco.odexme.apk - [Click for QR Code] (189.6 KB, 6724 views)
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to flolep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raing
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Looks cool. Nothing is attached to your post though.
The Following User Says Thank You to raing For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raXoN91
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Can I use it on other devices? (Galaxy si900)
Sorry if my english is incorrect

I love my SGS i9000 JB <3
@Samsung: F*** you!

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 24th February 2012 at 05:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3265

DONATE TO ME
I don't think this works. It rebooted and when I booted back and checked, there were no .odex files in the /system/app folder. Has anyone else got it working?

FYI, tested on 4.0.4 stock deodexed ROM.

flolep
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by raing View Post
Looks cool. Nothing is attached to your post though.
Oups Sorry.

I was at work, I attached it but maybe when I posted the thread, it didn't put it...

I reuploaded it...

It's ok now.

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 24th February 2012 at 06:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3265

DONATE TO ME
Disregard previous post...

Did not have init.d support. Very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flolep
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by raXoN91 View Post
Can I use it on other devices? (Galaxy si900)
You can try, it could work.

I will try this week end as I go to a friend who has a Galaxy S and I will test on his phone.

Will report after but you could do a nandroid backup, test by yourself and report here too
The Following User Says Thank You to flolep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flolep
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
Disregard previous post...

Did not have init.d support. Very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts!

Flashed init.d boot image. All good now.
Thanks. I knew that. Just forgot to post it.

I modified OP to inform about that.

++

open1your1eyes0
Old
(Last edited by open1your1eyes0; 24th February 2012 at 06:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3265

DONATE TO ME
So apparently I spoke to soon...

The app ran this time but after the reboot and odex process, my SystemUI wouldn't load and I ended up with no notification bar up top or any soft-keys at all. Also it was back to stock wallpaper. Not sure what happened, it looked like everything went through fine but I guess my SystemUI is borked.

Recovering from backup now...

I am not sure what caused this issue. I did have modded soft-keys and battery icon however, but I don't see why this would matter if a lot of the custom ROMs have modded soft-keys anyway. I would like to point out this was on stocked deodexed 4.0.4 ROM. If this works for anyone else, I would surely like to know. MAKE SURE you backup before trying.

k0yuki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you Flolep

It works great for me, but I don't know why Gmail disappeared. But it's still in /system/app, so I tried to install and I get this : Application not installed

Tags
deodex, nexus, odex, performance, rom