[APP] 'ODEX ME': Odexing deodexed roms for a BOOST IN PERFORMANCE

Search This thread

luckylui

Aug 14, 2010
Chi-Town
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yep. Totally agree. And don't worry, I already made my mind about that a long time ago :)

I saw several devs in the sgs i9000 development thread that had the same way of evolution :)

The beginning is a deodexed rom, the perfection is an odexed one :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

:D

Odex all the way! If only all devs can get the crack at odex, **** would hit the fan! Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

nascasho

Mar 8, 2008
Orange County, NY
nascasho.com
Holy hell this works great. On AOKP b25 and worked, see all the odex files. Not usre if the smoothness is placebo though, but had no side effects yet.

First time I booted I got nervous because it was stuck on the "Google" screen for a little longer than usual, but all was good, rebooted again, and booted. Fast boot too. Thanks for posting this.

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
You can try, it could work.

I will try this week end as I go to a friend who has a Galaxy S and I will test on his phone.

Will report after but you could do a nandroid backup, test by yourself and report here too :p

Just a post to say that I tried the apk on a galaxy s i9000 powered with aokp b28 (4.0.3) rom and it worked! The boost was clearly even bigger for i9000 than for Galaxy Nexus as every little bit of performance is important when memory is limited like for i9000.

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
Does this work on gingerbread ROMs at all?? I'm thinking of trying it on my dinc2 on one of our deodexed stock ROMs. Any insight would be awesome. I'm gonna download it, and if no one seems to think it'll screw anything up, I'm gonna test it

Sent From My Mikrunny'd Superphone Using Magic (TapaTalk 2 Beta 2)

Well. I don't know...

Can't you do a nandroid backup before trying and report here if it worked?

I also tried on a transformer prime with a custom rom. It worked too.

For gingerbread, I don't really know...

Please report after trying :)

HypostaticOnion

Well. I don't know...

Can't you do a nandroid backup before trying and report here if it worked?

I also tried on a transformer prime with a custom rom. It worked too.

For gingerbread, I don't really know...

Please report after trying :)

I will for sure. I'll try it in a little bit.

Sent From My Mikrunny'd Superphone Using Magic (TapaTalk 2 Beta 4)

musashiken

Feb 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
Well it screwed up my phone. On CNA 1.5.5. Made sure I removed status bar transparency and start up tweaks before starting odexme.

It booted into a black screen, then rebooted into the rom and was optimization all my apps as usual. But then when it went to the lockscreen, I saw something amiss, there was no status bar nor nav bar. I allowed the screen to switch off by itself and tried to unlock the phone.

Then it kept trying to run the boot animation and then it would turn off the screen by itself. Everytime I press the power button to turn the phone on, I see boot animation.

So no more testing for me. Back to full wipe and restore.

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
Did it according to instructions. No odex files. AOKP MS4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Do you have system init.d kernel or rom support and busybox last version installed?

Init.d support is important as odex me apk put a script in this folder and reboots. Then the phone runs the script (only if the phone has init.d support), does its **** and deletes the odex me apk.

It did me the same thing as you when I first tried on transformer prime. I saw that odex me apk wasn't deleted and there was a script in my init.d folder. My problem was that I didn't install last busybox version so init.d scripts were not executed correctly...

So please be assured that you have init.d support and try installing last busybox stericsson version (available in the Google play store) and please try again odex me apk.

Last edited:

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
Well it screwed up my phone. On CNA 1.5.5. Made sure I removed status bar transparency and start up tweaks before starting odexme.

It booted into a black screen, then rebooted into the rom and was optimization all my apps as usual. But then when it went to the lockscreen, I saw something amiss, there was no status bar nor nav bar. I allowed the screen to switch off by itself and tried to unlock the phone.

Then it kept trying to run the boot animation and then it would turn off the screen by itself. Everytime I press the power button to turn the phone on, I see boot animation.

So no more testing for me. Back to full wipe and restore.

Well, ok, thank you for your report. It seems there is a system apk in cna that isn't odexing well and is screwing things :-( sorry for that...

Well my advice could be to try aokp b28 rom as I really think it's the best galaxy nexus rom out there with more functions than cna and is really odexing well with odex me apk...

musashiken

Feb 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
Well, ok, thank you for your report. It seems there is a system apk in cna that isn't odexing well and is screwing things :-( sorry for that...

Well my advice could be to try aokp b28 rom as I really think it's the best galaxy nexus rom out there with more functions than cna and is really odexing well with odex me apk...

No prob. Actually I came from a Nexus One with a faulty power button, so I make sure that my roms have a screen-off toggle for a peace of mind.

Unfortunately only roms that port CM's toggle widgets have the screen off toggle, roms that make their own toggles like AOKP do not have the screen off widget, so I won't use those unless they implement something similar. :p

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,
I just tested out of curiosity...No issues but I do not really feel any improvements:confused:
So I leave it like that:D
Tested with LiquidSmooth v1.1 rom.

tunefoo

Aug 3, 2010
It keeps go to the boot animation any help?
I'm on aokp 28 with lean kernal + leantweaks.

Help will be appreciated thabks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
It keeps go to the boot animation any help?
I'm on aokp 28 with lean kernal + leantweaks.

Help will be appreciated thabks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well. If you did a nandroid backup as specified in the op, you just have to go to recovery and restore your nandroid backup...

If you didn't, then go to recovery and try to flash again aokp 28 rom without wiping. Then finally if it doesn't work, do a wipe data, factory reset and flash aokp rom again...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Galaxy Nexus Xda Users!

Informations:

Here is a simple apk to odex automatically, easily and securely deodexed roms.

This apk has been coded by the famous Paul Obrien from Modaco Roms and Forums.

This guy is just a genious.

The original apk has been done for Galaxy S II but it works on Galaxy Nexus (tested working). --> Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1215271

Paul is even using it in his own Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Custom Rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487056

But I tested the apk on other 4.0.3 deodexed roms that you can find in the development section of the Galaxy Nexus and it is working perfectly (Aokp odexed rom is wonderful...)

Odexing a deodexed rom is giving you a boost in smoothness (you can see it in the launcher or in scrolling through system apps), performance and battery.

It gives you the flexibility to have a custom rom with modified system, framework and design AND all the tweaks that come with a custom rom in addition to the performance of an odexed stock rom.

To use it:

1) make sure you have a custom rooted rom / kernel with init.d support (scripts must be able to run at boot: it is a folder in /system/etc). It is very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts... Thanks to open1your1eyes0 who remarked it.

You can try this useful application to add init.d support to your ROM / kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849

2) make sure that you don't have transparent status bar before odexing or you will loose your bar after odexing... (for AOKP users for example). Thanks to frantic912 who noticed it.

3) simply put the apk in /system/app folder with a file browser like "Root Explorer" (the folder must be in RW mode to copy the file)

4) do a nandroid backup in cwm and / or titanium backup of all your apps (even the system ones like Gmail)

5) then go to the launcher

6) tap "Odex me"

7) follow the instructions

It will:

1) reboot your phone

2) odex all the system staying on a black screen or on the Google screen a bit longer than normally (but it's normal)

3) put a ".odex" file with each app in /system/app

4) reboot again

5) go back to home

--> You will then see your boost in smoothness!

For people who are not convinced: check that: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...e-difference-between-odexed-and-deodexed-roms

To see if it worked:

- Go to /system/app folder and see if there is a ".odex extension" for each system apk.

I attached the apk to this thread for ease of use.

Please write here your tests, opinions, questions, and thank Paul (and me for giving you this info :p) for this wonderful and simple apk.

P.S. Please read reports from other users in the thread before trying the apk as some users seem to loose their status bar if they set transparency effects or some of them are having "force closes" if the rom they are using is too much themed...

P.S.2. Pay attention please, as androidphone2012 intelligently noticed, this apk can only odex *.apk files. The system framework is not odexed by it. To odex the framework too, please use the following script instead. It odexes *.apk files and Framework *.jar files too.

--> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278586

If you already ran the apk to odex apk files, do not flash that zip: re-flash your ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash the zip.

For your information, I tested the CM10.1 zip from the thread on my AOKP latest nightly build version and it worked flawlessly.
    FYI, that app can odex only *.apk.

This Script can also odex *.jar.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278586

If you already ran that app in OP, do not flash that zip. Re-flash the ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash.

Because the rest jars / the system apps produce dalvik-cache according to the core jar and can be odexed the same way. For the complete odex, we have to take turns "the core jars -> the rest jars and apks".

Thank you for your contribution, androidphone2012.

I tested the zip in this thread.

It worked flawlessly on AOKP latest nightly version so I will update the OP to reflect what you said.
    Disregard previous post...

Did not have init.d support. Very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts!
    Hello, I tried your application but it does not work ...
    I'm on S3, deodexed stock Rom with siyah kernel 1.8.9, I put the folder init.d in system / etc, I start your application, it asks me to reboot the system odexed, but nothing that password ...
    Have I missed something??

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Maybe Siyah kernel doesn't have init.d support... Ask them in the Siyah Kernel thread...

Or you can try to add init.d support by using this useful application : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849 (edited OP to add this url)

++
    What should I be careful about if I odex my PA ROM???

Seems to good to be true about better performance. What are the catches of odex??? Please put it in dumby definition please.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If I have helped you.... hit that sexy thanks button. ^_^

You won't be able to flash anything until you de-odex, that includes new versions of your current ROM and mods.