Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Concept][08/01] Android 4.0 Concept User Interface Improvements

Tip us?

propyls
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hide soft buttons when running screen savers like alarm clocks to avoid burn in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rjax
Old
(Last edited by rjax; 7th January 2012 at 06:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 23
Improving the multitasking button by allowing nesting could be pretty sweet. For instance, if you have a bunch of gtalk conversations going on, a bunch of browser tabs open, etc. it would be nice to have the option (maybe by tapping a specific part of the card that comes up when pressing the multitasking button) for all the different open conversations or tabs to come up in a card view of their own to make it easier to go right to the one the user wants to go to.

And while I'm thinking of multitasking, I'd like to see one behavior changed. I start on the home screen, use multitasking to switch to App A, then use multitasking to switch to App B, then hit the back button. I'd expect to see App A show up again after hitting the back button, but instead I go straight to the home screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATnTdude View Post
By a similar token, I'd like the option to rotate the homescreen without having to dock it. Basically, I should be able to use every preinstalled app in either landscape or portrait, just like a tablet. 90% of the OS does this, which is why it's jarring when you come across the 10% that's fixed.
Give this a try: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1412752 -- even though it's not what the dev intends, at least on my G-Nex if use Rotation Locker to set rotation to auto-rotate, everything auto-rotates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmost View Post
I came to Android from webOS after HP shot themselves in the foot several times and one of the things I miss most is the gesture bar you had at the bottom of the screen. With the advent of the soft button area in ICS I see a real option to enable the area to work in a similar fashion.
I've never even used WebOS and I was thinking similar thoughts. For instance, in the browser it would be nice to switch between tabs by swiping the soft key area left or right.

Really, I think there's just so much that could be done with the soft key area -- a reason for me keeping the G-Nex over getting something like the Rezound. I saw another suggestion on the thread to make the soft key area a scrollable dock of sorts, and I think there's a lot of potential there -- I think like some have mentioned it could take over the lion's share of the notification bar functions, which would be nice since it's generally easier to reach the bottom than the top for me at least. An app could be capable of defining its own soft-key set (i.e. start up the browser, and bookmark and refresh soft keys pop up), and users could pin shortcuts to key programs in the soft key dock.

Evostance
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 330

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjax View Post
Improving the multitasking button by allowing nesting could be pretty sweet. For instance, if you have a bunch of gtalk conversations going on, a bunch of browser tabs open, etc. it would be nice to have the option (maybe by tapping a specific part of the card that comes up when pressing the multitasking button) for all the different open conversations or tabs to come up in a card view of their own to make it easier to go right to the one the user wants to go to.
That's already on my list ;)

Quote:

And while I'm thinking of multitasking, I'd like to see one behavior changed. I start on the home screen, use multitasking to switch to App A, then use multitasking to switch to App B, then hit the back button. I'd expect to see App A show up again after hitting the back button, but instead I go straight to the home screen.
Also on the list
[SIZE="1"]Current Phone: Nexus 5 16GB | ROM: Stock
[SIZE="1"]Current Tablet: Nexus 10 | ROM: Sto

Follow me on Twitter
Circle me on G+

devil snake
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daandman View Post
- I'd love to have swiping away a text or email mark it as read. And while we're on notifications I don't get why contact pics don't display in the drop-down bar for texts, only for emails.

- Swiping away a recent app actually kills it

- Option to easily switch between the phone & people apps

- Option to mute shutter sound right in camera menu

- Notification bar toggles like in CyanogenMod or AOKP
RED is prohibited by laws of most countries!
================

Just need quick toggles in notifications bar and a feature that is found in TouchWiz 4 (and CyanogenMod) where you slide your finger across the Notification bar horizontally to control brightness (Better than toggles as when you're under the sun and visibility is ZERO, you don't have to be accurate to adjust brightness by Notification bar sliding as it's always there.. unlike toggles where you have to see which toggle is which)

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 957
I don't have that problem. I know where my toggles are. Hasn't been a problem.

My grandma beat me down and took my nexus. Sent from a jitterbug with beats by dre.

Evostance
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 330

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil snake View Post
RED is prohibited by laws of most countries!
================

Just need quick toggles in notifications bar and a feature that is found in TouchWiz 4 (and CyanogenMod) where you slide your finger across the Notification bar horizontally to control brightness (Better than toggles as when you're under the sun and visibility is ZERO, you don't have to be accurate to adjust brightness by Notification bar sliding as it's always there.. unlike toggles where you have to see which toggle is which)
What is RED?

Follow me on Twitter
Circle me on G+

David Horn
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 79
I'd like to be able to set up folders in the app drawer - or at the very least specify a list of apps to hide from the drawer. You know, when developers of widgets or live wallpapers insist on creating a shortcut in the app drawer; or simply because I don't want to have to navigate past Adobe Flash Settings every time I open the drawer.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Horn View Post
I'd like to be able to set up folders in the app drawer - or at the very least specify a list of apps to hide from the drawer. You know, when developers of widgets or live wallpapers insist on creating a shortcut in the app drawer; or simply because I don't want to have to navigate past Adobe Flash Settings every time I open the drawer.
Just throwing this out there. You know you can make folders with the home screen icons? If you already know, disregard. I just figured it out earlier this week. Still getting used to my new setup, but it is awesome now. Rarely have to go into app drawer now.

My grandma beat me down and took my nexus. Sent from a jitterbug with beats by dre.

Evostance
Old
(Last edited by Evostance; 8th January 2012 at 10:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 330

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
Just throwing this out there. You know you can make folders with the home screen icons? If you already know, disregard. I just figured it out earlier this week. Still getting used to my new setup, but it is awesome now. Rarely have to go into app drawer now.

I think they mean in the app drawer have the ability to create folder, or just hide icons.

Sms notification concept video is done. Just need to tweak some timings and find some suitable music then it can be uploaded

I'll keep announcing where im up to on here, twitter (sig) and on my Facebook page (http://goo.gl/kvBFm)

Follow me on Twitter
Circle me on G+

altimax98
Old
Thanks Meter 444
I really like the concept... be careful... apple may sue lol j/k

Sent From Nexi - The Galaxy Nexus
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook

Tags
android 4.0 concept improvements, ice cream sandwich, user interface