Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 54,295 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FIX]Proximity Sensor (In-call) issue

Tip us?

5pace
Old
(Last edited by 5pace; 30th December 2012 at 09:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Default [FIX]Proximity Sensor (In-call) issue

Do you have problems with your Proximity sensor? Phone doesn't turn on while in call or randomly reboots within a call? Well, it's entirely a hardware issue found in most of the C8 (August 2012) production batch of Nexus. Not sure what your production year and month is? It's found on the sticker put on the phone (under the battery), the fourth and fifth numbers / letters are your phone's production date. A thread covering stuff about production date can be found here.

I tested this on two C8 Nexus(es). I don't guarantee if it will work for you or not but it looks like it fixed the issue for me. The only downside of this fix is that you have to use power button in order to lock your screen while in call and after the call you have to unlock it manually (This isn't a big issue in front of this issue, right?). Oh and by the way, it works on Android JellyBean version 4.2 and is untested on previous versions of Android.

So let's start:

1. So for the first step, you have to root your phone and flash Clockworkmod recovery into your Galaxy Nexus.

(WARNING: Flashing recovery and rooting leads to loss of all the data placed in your sdcard, so make sure your backup beforehand because it's better than crying later)

2. Download this zip and place it in your phone's sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?ir6z384vutepdmu

(To revert you can flash this (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS Version 2 and please use this version to revert successfully previous version had some flaws in it): http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n1fx3cj446k1l)

3. Power off the phone, after that press Volume up + Volume down + Power button to go into bootloader mode.

4. After entering into bootloader mode press Volume up two times and "Recovery Mode" should come up, press power button and the phone will restart into Recovery mode.

5. Select "install zip from sdcard" then press "choose zip from sdcard" then "0" then tap on the "ProximityFix.zip" (which you downloaded in step 2) and in last press "Yes".

6. After flashing of the zip is done tap on the "+++Go back+++" and then "reboot system now".

Voila you have a proximity sensor that no more interferes into calls or anything else!

What I did?
Basically I just Hexedit'ed "sensors.tuna.so" found inside "/system/lib/hw/" and changed "proximity" to "proximits".

What it does?
The stock "sensors.tuna.so" gets replaced by the modded "sensors.tuna.so" in order to completely disable the proximity.

CREDITS:
A very good friend of mine (zurchpet) from IRC for making edify script changes for the above supplied zip.
Alexander T. for figuring out production date.

Thank you
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 5pace For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

orph
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nice idea, but your fix also removes other sensors as well, (all but sound) including screen rotation. Re-installed CM10, everything came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pace View Post
Do you have problems with your Proximity sensor? Phone doesn't turn on while in call or randomly reboots within a call? Well, it's entirely a hardware issue found in most of the C8 (August 2012) production batch of Nexus. Not sure what your production year and month is? It's found on the sticker put on the phone (under the battery), the fourth and fifth numbers / letters are your phone's production date. A thread covering stuff about production date can be found here.

I tested this on two C8 Nexus(es). I don't guarantee if it will work for you or not but it looks like it fixed the issue for me. The only downside of this fix is that you have to use power button in order to lock your screen while in call and after the call you have to unlock it manually (This isn't a big issue in front of this issue, right?). Oh and by the way, it works on Android JellyBean version 4.2 and is untested on previous versions of Android.

So let's start:

1. So for the first step, you have to root your phone and flash Clockworkmod recovery into your Galaxy Nexus.

(WARNING: Flashing recovery and rooting leads to loss of all the data placed in your sdcard, so make sure your backup beforehand because it's better than crying later)

2. Download this zip and place it in your phone's sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?ir6z384vutepdmu

(To revert you can flash this: http://www.mediafire.com/?muiza8fbwidq69d)

3. Power off the phone, after that press Volume up + Volume down + Power button to go into bootloader mode.

4. After entering into bootloader mode press Volume up two times and "Recovery Mode" should come up, press power button and the phone will restart into Recovery mode.

5. Select "install zip from sdcard" then press "choose zip from sdcard" then "0" then tap on the "ProximityFix.zip" (which you downloaded in step 2) and in last press "Yes".

6. After flashing of the zip is done tap on the "+++Go back+++" and then "reboot system now".

Voila you have a proximity sensor that no more interferes into calls or anything else!

What I did?
Basically I just Hexedit'ed "sensors.tuna.so" found inside "/system/lib/hw/" and changed "proximity" to "proximits".

What it does?
The stock "sensors.tuna.so" gets replaced by the modded "sensors.tuna.so" in order to completely disable the proximity.

CREDITS:
A very good friend of mine (zurchpet) from IRC for making edify script changes for the above supplied zip.
Alexander T. for figuring out production date.

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to orph For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yuryvrn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orph View Post
Nice idea, but your fix also removes other sensors as well, (all but sound) including screen rotation. Re-installed CM10, everything came back.
I have a CA (Oct 2012) production batch of Nexus and have this issue too. It's just for statistics.
I also wish you would find some spare time to improve the realization of your idea by removing the proximity sensor only rather than other sensors as well.

5pace
Old
(Last edited by 5pace; 21st April 2013 at 08:22 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryvrn View Post
I have a CA (Oct 2012) production batch of Nexus and have this issue too. It's just for statistics.
I also wish you would find some spare time to improve the realization of your idea by removing the proximity sensor only rather than other sensors as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orph View Post
It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys.

yuryvrn
Old
(Last edited by yuryvrn; 17th December 2012 at 06:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You both can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys.
I have the stock JOP40D, yakju, the phone is rooted. My sensors.tuna.so is attached. I am new to android, did I understand you correctly all I have to do is to replace the original sensors.tuna.so by the modified file you will send back? Or I need to apply your patch as described in the 1st post (since my ROM is stock)?
Attached Files
File Type: zip sensors.tuna.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.6 KB, 98 views)

PaXGeN
Old
(Last edited by PaXGeN; 17th December 2012 at 07:33 PM.) Reason: Post test report
Thanks Meter 20
THX 5pace,
i have the annoying bug of 8C

Paranoid Android 2.99 beta8

- sensors.tuna.so
- sensors.goldfish.so

The fix is ok, the proximity sensor is disabled.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sensors.Paranoid.2.99-beta8.zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.8 KB, 106 views)
Google Nexus 4 (mako) | Purity 4.4.2 - 07/02 | hells-Core b44_test kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to PaXGeN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

puertorecon
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I have this issue too. I am on CM 10.1 EuroSkank on stock kernel. Is there a zip file I can flash? Thanks for the fix!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

LKNim
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaXGeN View Post
THX 5pace,
i have the annoying bug of 8C

Paranoid Android 2.99 beta8

- sensors.tuna.so
- sensors.goldfish.so

The fix is ok, the proximity sensor is disabled.
Is it compatible on other roms such as Xylon?
I got the same annoying problem

Phone:
- Google Nexus 5 | L | LPV81C | Code Blue
- Sony Xperia Z
- Google Nexus Prime i9250
- Google Nexus S i9023
- Samsung Galaxy SL i9003

Tablet:
- Google Nexue 7 | 4.4.2 | KOT49H | Omni | Oxydo

ICS Themed CedIME v4

PaXGeN
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNim View Post
Is it compatible on other roms such as Xylon?
I got the same annoying problem

You can try the Fix, if it doesn't work properly you can restore the backup with the Un-Fix
Google Nexus 4 (mako) | Purity 4.4.2 - 07/02 | hells-Core b44_test kernel

Joe_6pak
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Proximity Sensor Blues!

Quote:
It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You both can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys.
I'm new to this forum, so bear with me. I've been having the Proximity Sensor Blues lately and am in need of a cure. I've got a Verizon GNex (rooted and unlocked) running JB Sourcery 4.0 (soon to be 4.1 unless you tell me different) with their most recent "stock" kernel. I've attached the two files you requested, but have not tried the fix yet.

Considering the ROM I'm running and the attached files, is it OK for me to try the fix? Should I try a different kernel? Does it matter if I have TWRP instead of CWM? Please help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip JBS 40 sensor files.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.6 KB, 92 views)

Tags
disable proximity, fix, proximity fix