Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 51,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Better MTP access from linux

Tip us?

J F
Old
(Last edited by J F; 16th May 2012 at 04:50 PM.) Reason: Fix link
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Better MTP access from linux

An MTP filesystem for linux that I believe works better than anything else currently out there.

http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs...ces-and-linux/

I tried to make the filesystem implementation robust and as complete as possible within the limits of MTP. Everything except chown, chmod, symlinks, and updating the modification time without actually changing the file should work.

I've only tested it under Fedora 16, but the code is generic enough that it should work on any linux system (and probably Mac OS X as well) with libmtp 1.1.3, fuse, and libmagic.

Give it a try, and let me know if you find any bugs or other issues.

- J
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to J F For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ArmanUV
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Hi. This looks great. I tried mtpfs a couple of weeks ago and found it unreliable and buggy.
I'm trying to use this on mac. I installed gcc 4.7 since xcode command line tools ship with gcc 4.2 which doesn't support C++11.
However I still get this when I run make:
Code:
Making all in src
g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"jmtpfs\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"jmtpfs\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"jmtpfs\ 1.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"jmtpfs\" -DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DHAVE_LIBMAGIC=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_MAGIC_H=1 -I.  -framework IOKit -I/usr/local/Cellar/libmtp/1.1.2/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb-compat/0.1.3/include   -D__DARWIN_64_BIT_INO_T=1 -D__FreeBSD__=10 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/local/include/osxfuse/fuse     -g -O2 -std=c++0x -MT jmtpfs-jmtpfs.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/jmtpfs-jmtpfs.Tpo -c -o jmtpfs-jmtpfs.o `test -f 'jmtpfs.cpp' || echo './'`jmtpfs.cpp
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=c++0x"
make[1]: *** [jmtpfs-jmtpfs.o] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Ok nevermind that. I had a symlink problem.
I still couldn't compile though:
Code:
jmtpfs.cpp:411:62: error: macro "fuse_main" passed 4 arguments, but takes just 3
jmtpfs.cpp: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
jmtpfs.cpp:411:15: error: 'fuse_main' was not declared in this scope
Galaxy Nexus GSM

tititake
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hi,

I tested on gentoo x64, it worked very well.

Mounted my galaxy nexus as normal user, showed in nautilus as a drive. Copied some flac files to it, so far so good.

Thanks and please keep this going, since mtpfs didn't work for me either.

J F
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default OSX build

With the patch below I got jmtpfs to build under Lion using libmtp, fuse4x, gcc46 (or gcc47), and file (libmagic) installed via macports. I'll include the patch in my next release.

There is still one weird issue though. If jmtpfs is run without the foreground (-f) option, you just get i/o errors when trying to access the device. It looks like something in the way fuse4x is backgrounding the process is messing up libmtp. But with -f it seems to work fine.

Index: src/jmtpfs.cpp
================================================== =================
--- src/jmtpfs.cpp (revision 5445)
+++ src/jmtpfs.cpp (working copy)
@@ -22,11 +22,10 @@
#include "ConnectedMtpDevices.h"
#include "mtpFilesystemErrors.h"
#include "Mutex.h"
+#include "FuseHeader.h"

#include <MtpRoot.h>
#include <iostream>
-#include <fuse.h>
-#include <fuse_opt.h>
#include <cstddef>
#include <errno.h>
#include <sstream>
Index: src/MtpNode.h
--- src/MtpNode.h (revision 5445)
+++ src/MtpNode.h (working copy)
@@ -25,7 +25,7 @@
#include "MtpMetadataCache.h"
#include "MtpFilesystemPath.h"
#include "MtpDevice.h"
-#include <fuse.h>
+#include "FuseHeader.h"
#include <time.h>
#include <vector>
#include <string>
Index: src/FuseHeader.h
--- src/FuseHeader.h (revision 0)
+++ src/FuseHeader.h (revision 5447)
@@ -0,0 +1,30 @@
+/*
+ * FuseHeader.h
+ *
+ * Author: Jason Ferrara
+ *
+ * This software is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
+ * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
+ * version 3 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
+ *
+ * This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
+ * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
+ * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
+ * General Public License for more details.
+ *
+ * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
+ * License along with this library; if not, write to the
+ * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
+ * Boston, MA 02111-1301, USA.
+ * licensing@fsf.org
+ */
+
+#ifndef FUSEHEADER_H_
+#define FUSEHEADER_H_
+
+#define FUSE_USE_VERSION 26
+#include <fuse.h>
+#include <fuse_opt.h>
+
+
+#endif /* FUSEHEADER_H_ */
Index: src/MtpLocalFileCopy.cpp
--- src/MtpLocalFileCopy.cpp (revision 5445)
+++ src/MtpLocalFileCopy.cpp (working copy)
@@ -22,6 +22,7 @@
#include "mtpFilesystemErrors.h"
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <iostream>
+#include <unistd.h>

MtpLocalFileCopy::MtpLocalFileCopy(MtpDevice& device, uint32_t id) :
m_device(device), m_remoteId(id), m_needWriteBack(false)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J F For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

J F
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
I released a version that builds and runs correctly under Mac OS X.

If you follow the link in my first post you'll now see a link to download the new version at the top of the blog post.
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ArmanUV
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
I released a version that builds and runs correctly under Mac OS X.

If you follow the link in my first post you'll now see a link to download the new version at the top of the blog post.

Awesome! I didn't expect such a quick response. I got it working with gcc 4.7 and fuse4x installed using homebrew. I still can't copy/move anything due to permission errors. I tried running with sudo but it wouldn't mount at all. I also caught a couple of crashes: http://pastebin.com/JFgc0n5s http://pastebin.com/1d8FgvVX
Galaxy Nexus GSM

SprigganMaster
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Great work!

I'll try it on Archlinux 64 as soon as I get home

J F
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
New release 0.4 with improved Mac OS X compatibility. Follow the link in my first post.

Apparently if you don't lie to the Finder and tell it MTP supports chmod and utime, the Finder throws a fit.

I'm also using the user that started jmtpfs for the uid and gid for the files. This fixes the permissions problems in OS X. And I report the combined free space of all the storage devices as the free space of the mount point. If I report 0 (which is the truth, since the mount point is read only and only contains directory entries for the storage devices, and its each subdirectory of the mount point which is read/write and has its own free space) then the finder assumes there is no free space in any directory under the mount point and refused to copy over files.
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ArmanUV
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
New release 0.4 with improved Mac OS X compatibility. Follow the link in my first post.

Apparently if you don't lie to the Finder and tell it MTP supports chmod and utime, the Finder throws a fit.

I'm also using the user that started jmtpfs for the uid and gid for the files. This fixes the permissions problems in OS X. And I report the combined free space of all the storage devices as the free space of the mount point. If I report 0 (which is the truth, since the mount point is read only and only contains directory entries for the storage devices, and its each subdirectory of the mount point which is read/write and has its own free space) then the finder assumes there is no free space in any directory under the mount point and refused to copy over files.
0.4 compiled with the addition of "#include <unistd.h>" to jmtpfs.cpp and it worked! I was able to send/receive files! Thanks a lot for your efforts. At last we have a viable alternative to Android File Transfer.

Here is a little toturial for less techsavvy Mac owners:

1. Get Xcode from App Store if you haven't already. Open it and go to Preferences>Downloads and install "Command Line Tools".
2. Install homebrew
3. In terminal, run "brew doctor" to check for any issues. Then run "brew update && brew upgrade" to get the latest database.
4. Run this to get gcc 4.7 with C++ support:
Code:
brew install https://raw.github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-dupes/master/gcc.rb
5. Run "brew install fuse4x libmtp libmagic".
6. Run the following to install the fuse kernel extentions:
Code:
sudo cp -rfX /usr/local/Cellar/fuse4x-kext/0.9.0/Library/Extensions/fuse4x.kext /Library/Extensions && sudo chmod +s /Library/Extensions/fuse4x.kext/Support/load_fuse4x
7. Now you should have all the pre requisites installed. Download (fixed) jmtpfs from here and extract it.
8. cd to the extracted directory and run:
Code:
CXX=g++-4.7 CXXFLAGS="-D FUSE_USE_VERSION=25" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/jmptfs/0.4 && make && make install && brew link jmptfs
9. Run "mkdir ~/Android" to create a directory in your homefolder.
10. Finally, run "jmtpfs ~/Android". At this point, you should see a mountpoint called "fuse4x volume 0 jmtpfs" in your home directory, which you can treat as any external harddrive.
Galaxy Nexus GSM
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmanUV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rimher
Old
(Last edited by Rimher; 12th May 2012 at 04:38 PM.) Reason: better formatting
Thanks Meter 61
This is very interesting, but I can't seem to get it to work on Ubuntu Precise 12.04.
This is what I get on the "make" command:

Quote:
me@me-Precise:~/Downloads/jmtpfs$ make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src'
g++ -g -O2 -std=c++0x -lmagic -o jmtpfs jmtpfs-jmtpfs.o jmtpfs-MtpDevice.o jmtpfs-ConnectedMtpDevices.o jmtpfs-Mutex.o jmtpfs-MtpFilesystemPath.o jmtpfs-MtpMetadataCache.o jmtpfs-MtpNode.o jmtpfs-MtpRoot.o jmtpfs-MtpLibLock.o jmtpfs-MtpStorage.o jmtpfs-MtpFolder.o jmtpfs-MtpFile.o jmtpfs-TemporaryFile.o jmtpfs-MtpLocalFileCopy.o -L/usr/local/lib -lmtp -lusb -pthread -lfuse -lrt -ldl
jmtpfs-MtpDevice.o: In function `MtpDevice':
/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src/MtpDevice.cpp:69: undefined reference to `magic_open'
/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src/MtpDevice.cpp:72: undefined reference to `magic_load'
/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src/MtpDevice.cpp:73: undefined reference to `magic_error'
jmtpfs-MtpDevice.o: In function `MtpDevice::SendFile(LIBMTP_file_struct*, int)':
/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src/MtpDevice.cpp:242: undefined reference to `magic_buffer'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [jmtpfs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/betto/Downloads/jmtpfs/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
I've installed the libmagic-dev package(or something like that. What are those undefined references? Am I missing some packages??
Alien but Friendly