[Q] Just got a Galaxy Nexus....

Search This thread

zenihilist

Sep 13, 2011
Just curious if the attached image is about what I should be expecting in terms of battery life. The screen seems to draw a lot more than I'm used to (then again this is my first experience with AMOLED screens).

Also, for those who have rooted and installed cm or a similar custom ROM, would I see a significant difference if I went beyond the stock firmware?

Thanks very much!
uploadfromtaptalk1398986282666.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maximinus I

Nov 4, 2011
That's about on par with what I'm seeing. But really it is going to vary by user so there is no answer. I always have data and wifi off so it lasts me all day at work. But aside from that this is the wrong forum for this.

Just curious if the attached image is about what I should be expecting in terms of battery life. The screen seems to draw a lot more than I'm used to (then again this is my first experience with AMOLED screens).

Also, for those who have rooted and installed cm or a similar custom ROM, would I see a significant difference if I went beyond the stock firmware?

Thanks very much!
View attachment 2720428

To find your actual screen on time: go to the screen you were at when u took screenshot, and then tap where it says "Screen".
It will bring another screen up with information about how much total time the screen was on.
The galaxy nexus(especially toro due to its LTE/CDMA radio combo which is also very draining on battery) is not going to ever give you stellar battery life. I HIGHLY recommend grabbing yourself an extra battery (or two lol) to carry around like I do. They are small enough to throw an extra in ya pocket or wallet when you go out. And will give you much peace of mind in knowing that you have a full backup battery with ya.(also, at this point these batteries even OEM Samsung ones are VERY cheap. Even the OEM extended battery.(2100mah))
I will also go ahead and recommend grabbing yourself an external charger.(If you want, I can link you to the one I purchased long ago, it is official Samsung one, came with an extended Gnex battery and charging cable. And can ALSO be used as a stand for device, I also used to use it as a perfect little stand for my nexus 7 tablet.
I personally have 3 batteries(1extended OEM, 2 regular OEM, I USED to have ANTHER extended OEM one but I dropped it in a puddle lolol) and they are well worth the money especially beings as now they will be even cheaper than when I got em.

Let me know if you'd like the link to the Samsung external charger/battery combo I got.

ALSO:
WELCOME to the forums! Just remember posts like this should go in the Q/A or General section, development sections new thread posts are for ROM/kernel/development topics ;) don't be discouraged if your post gets moved :)

You MIGHT want to try a custom kernel to see if you get better battery life(and probably performance also! Bonus!) you can use kernels from the Galaxy Nexus Android Development section. You do not have to use only the ones found in the VZW Gnex forum. But for a ROM, make sure to ONLY use the ones from the Verizon Wireless Gnex section. Kernels will work on any variant, ROMs are NOT interchangeable (you will prolly end up having to flash stock factory img thru fastboot or toolkit if u flash wrong ROM variant. But that isn't so bad, very easy)

Sorry for such the long reply, just trying to make your transition to the Gnex world easier hopefully :)

zenihilist

Sep 13, 2011
Wow. Could I look like more of a noob? Don't know how the post got here, I thought I specifically put this in Q&A. At least this explains why I didn't see my post show up there. Well, either I or Tapatalk are goofing up. Anyways, thanks for the informative replies despite my error. It's an example of what makes XDA great!

Last edited:

DR3W5K1

Aug 25, 2012

Thanks very much!
View attachment 2720428

You are going to love this phone!

I suggest flashing a kitkat ROM ASAP.

Have fun!

Reactions: ashclepdia
Wow. Could I look like more of a noob? Don't know how the post got here, I thought I specifically put this in Q&A. At least this explains why I didn't see my post show up there. Well, either I or Tapatalk are goofing up. Anyways, thanks for the informative replies despite my error. It's an example of what makes XDA great!

No worries, I think it could be Tapatalk anyways, cuz now Tapatalk is showing TWO of this thread here and one is showing all kinds of </br > junk in it. It acts up sometimes(gotta love how I paid for the first Tapatalk paid app, which is now free and ad supported I yhink, AND I purchased this Tapatalk HD/pro(?) Whatever they wanna call it now, ONLY cuz I figured okay maybe all the updates won't constantly break functionality like they did on previous app since they overhauled a lot of it. But yea....I mean it works good MOST of the time but they only JUST fixed the INSANE lag from large posts that have a lot of thanks(see v6superharger thread as example, used to be gawd awful scrolling the first post...prolly still is lmao... Just wish mobile browsing wasn't so horrid most of time or another COMPETING app to push development to be better. Though I'm sure its tough to try and get these apps nearly prefect with ALL the constantly changing forums they support and such....BUT...that's an AshRants for another day...lmao sorry I ramble a lot.)

Even tho battery life for toro(vzw gnex) really leaves something to be desired, the device is EASILY one of the funnest to own and tinker with. SO MANY CHOICES makes finding "that prefect setup" a LOT of fun. And the kernels available are just stellar.(I highly recommend one of the most active as of late either DirtyV(by @bsmitty83 I use his smittyV builds personally), Fancy(by @boype ) or HybridRemix( by @Pattyboi I think I spelled his name right..he has taken over maintaining and pushing updates to the stellar ASKP kernel with his own tweaks added in) things have never been dull in development for Galaxy Nexus but have also just recently gotten pretty exciting for users and devs alike. And the community (as you can probably already tell) has become one of the friendliest around. And there is TONS of info all over in here. Lap it all up, and have fun!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks very much!
    View attachment 2720428

To find your actual screen on time: go to the screen you were at when u took screenshot, and then tap where it says "Screen".
    It will bring another screen up with information about how much total time the screen was on.
    The galaxy nexus(especially toro due to its LTE/CDMA radio combo which is also very draining on battery) is not going to ever give you stellar battery life. I HIGHLY recommend grabbing yourself an extra battery (or two lol) to carry around like I do. They are small enough to throw an extra in ya pocket or wallet when you go out. And will give you much peace of mind in knowing that you have a full backup battery with ya.(also, at this point these batteries even OEM Samsung ones are VERY cheap. Even the OEM extended battery.(2100mah))
    I will also go ahead and recommend grabbing yourself an external charger.(If you want, I can link you to the one I purchased long ago, it is official Samsung one, came with an extended Gnex battery and charging cable. And can ALSO be used as a stand for device, I also used to use it as a perfect little stand for my nexus 7 tablet.
    I personally have 3 batteries(1extended OEM, 2 regular OEM, I USED to have ANTHER extended OEM one but I dropped it in a puddle lolol) and they are well worth the money especially beings as now they will be even cheaper than when I got em.

Let me know if you'd like the link to the Samsung external charger/battery combo I got.

ALSO:
    WELCOME to the forums! Just remember posts like this should go in the Q/A or General section, development sections new thread posts are for ROM/kernel/development topics ;) don't be discouraged if your post gets moved :)

You MIGHT want to try a custom kernel to see if you get better battery life(and probably performance also! Bonus!) you can use kernels from the Galaxy Nexus Android Development section. You do not have to use only the ones found in the VZW Gnex forum. But for a ROM, make sure to ONLY use the ones from the Verizon Wireless Gnex section. Kernels will work on any variant, ROMs are NOT interchangeable (you will prolly end up having to flash stock factory img thru fastboot or toolkit if u flash wrong ROM variant. But that isn't so bad, very easy)

Sorry for such the long reply, just trying to make your transition to the Gnex world easier hopefully :)

No worries, I think it could be Tapatalk anyways, cuz now Tapatalk is showing TWO of this thread here and one is showing all kinds of </br > junk in it. It acts up sometimes(gotta love how I paid for the first Tapatalk paid app, which is now free and ad supported I yhink, AND I purchased this Tapatalk HD/pro(?) Whatever they wanna call it now, ONLY cuz I figured okay maybe all the updates won't constantly break functionality like they did on previous app since they overhauled a lot of it. But yea....I mean it works good MOST of the time but they only JUST fixed the INSANE lag from large posts that have a lot of thanks(see v6superharger thread as example, used to be gawd awful scrolling the first post...prolly still is lmao... Just wish mobile browsing wasn't so horrid most of time or another COMPETING app to push development to be better. Though I'm sure its tough to try and get these apps nearly prefect with ALL the constantly changing forums they support and such....BUT...that's an AshRants for another day...lmao sorry I ramble a lot.)

Even tho battery life for toro(vzw gnex) really leaves something to be desired, the device is EASILY one of the funnest to own and tinker with. SO MANY CHOICES makes finding "that prefect setup" a LOT of fun. And the kernels available are just stellar.(I highly recommend one of the most active as of late either DirtyV(by @bsmitty83 I use his smittyV builds personally), Fancy(by @boype ) or HybridRemix( by @Pattyboi I think I spelled his name right..he has taken over maintaining and pushing updates to the stellar ASKP kernel with his own tweaks added in) things have never been dull in development for Galaxy Nexus but have also just recently gotten pretty exciting for users and devs alike. And the community (as you can probably already tell) has become one of the friendliest around. And there is TONS of info all over in here. Lap it all up, and have fun!

Thanks very much!
    View attachment 2720428

You are going to love this phone!

I suggest flashing a kitkat ROM ASAP.

Have fun!