Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE [VERIZON]

Tip us?

SchmeeForce
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Hey thanks you alot, made me more comfortable messing with me "GN".

Much appreciated

Regards

Schmee

TorontoR
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Thank you sir for taking the time to write this. Just went through the process successfully to flash a stock Google rom to remove the Samsung one from my phone as I want to get the rom updates quicker via Google vs waiting for the Samsung port. However, to ensure I get the updates via OTA, do I have to unroot/ relock bootloader? Does it hurt anything leaving it as is or do we need to button down again.

Thanks in advance.

ahqball
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Awesome thread!
Quick Q though, if im currently using a custom ROM, when i use the advanced restore option in CWM, can someone quickly describe what each option will do to my phone?
ie.
Whats will happen if im running custom ROM and i select restore boot? restore system? restore data? restore cache? restore sd-ext?

Thanks in advance!

tristan202
Old
Thanks Meter 257
I have unlocked the bootloader, and flashed cwm. When I try to install from sdcard, I get this error: E:Can't mount /sdcard/

Any suggestions?

mskip
Old
Retired Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 13629

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan202 View Post
I have unlocked the bootloader, and flashed cwm. When I try to install from sdcard, I get this error: E:Can't mount /sdcard/

Any suggestions?
To copy the rom to your Internal Storage you need to reboot your phone into Android, then connect the usb cable and copy it across using your file manager. Then you can reboot into CWM and flash the Rom.

Mark.

mskip
Old
Thanks Meter 13629

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahqball View Post
Awesome thread!
Quick Q though, if im currently using a custom ROM, when i use the advanced restore option in CWM, can someone quickly describe what each option will do to my phone?
ie.
Whats will happen if im running custom ROM and i select restore boot? restore system? restore data? restore cache? restore sd-ext?

Thanks in advance!
I will add this to the FAQ as I build it up:

> Restoring boot will restore your boot image which contains the kernel. Useful if you try custom kernels and something goes wrong with it.

> Restoring system will restore your system files (Rom).

> Restoring data will restore your installed apps. Good if you install a new rom and do a wipe before flashing (which will format the data partition). If you flash a new Rom without wiping the data partition isnt usually touched.

> Not exactly sure about cache..

> Galaxy Nexus doesnt have sd-ext so no need to worry about that.

Mark.

mskip
Old
Thanks Meter 13629

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post
Thank you sir for taking the time to write this. Just went through the process successfully to flash a stock Google rom to remove the Samsung one from my phone as I want to get the rom updates quicker via Google vs waiting for the Samsung port. However, to ensure I get the updates via OTA, do I have to unroot/ relock bootloader? Does it hurt anything leaving it as is or do we need to button down again.

Thanks in advance.
Not so sure how a stock image is affected. At worst case you will still get the update notification but the install will fail. As long as you have the latest build on your phone then you wont get any notification so you could easily flash the latest CWM Stock image as it is made available.

You just cant hurt this monster

Mark.

mskip
Old
Thanks Meter 13629

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ "suMo* View Post
I've flashed CWM through ROM Manager but still get the stock recovery in recovery mode - isn't that a fake flash anyways? Does anybody know if you can restore a nandroid via the stock recovery?

Sent from my GN
There is an auto recovery restore system on stock android builds so when the phone is rebooted it restores the stock recovery image.

Remove 'recovery-from-boot.p' from /system and it wont restore the stock recovery after you flash CWM.

Mark.

aldo37
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks for this. Do you have to delete or can you just rename that file?

Hussainally
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Hey bro.tks for this but need some clarification if you don't mind
1.if I flash a new rom in cwm from stock rom,and I do a superwipe,will all my data like music etc from internal storage get wiped as well?
2.you mentioned above about using restoring data option under advanced in cwm,when do I do this?right after I flash or after I have booted to android and go back to cwm and click restore data?

Please advice