Post Reply

[KERNEL]Tinykernel 5.5(4.3/4.4)[JB/KK] Updated 2/27/14

OP tiny4579

20th February 2013, 10:34 PM   |  #381  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,205
 
7,869 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMaDuDe87

That was absolutely very helpful information that I will def use in the future.

From the sounds of it here is where I am. I am running Nexus Evolution that comes stock with an experimental LK so the kernel should use its own ramdisk, then i flashed TK which used system ramdisk, but then when I flashed back to LK it seems like a setting stuck in the system ramdisk that is over riding only the I/O scheduler for some reason. Even after dirty flashing the ROM and Kernel again?

I guess what I am asking is how do I go from existing (or system?) Ramdisk to a boot.IMG kernel without wiping the whole system(clean flash)? Or is that not possible?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Ok, so this is how it goes. You have Nexus Evolution which runs LK. When you flash the ROM, the zip wipes system and flashes the ROM to system. It then flashes the boot.img containing the ramdisk and LK. When you flash a boot.img it overwrites everything. Nothing gets stuck as it's a complete overwrite. Then when you flash TK it will pull the existing ramdisk and replace the kernel and repack it into a boot.img and flash it. Then your new boot.img becomes the boot.img from the ROM with LK replaced with TK as the zImage.

One easy way to tell if the kernel uses boot.img is as said above. There will be a file called boot.img when you open the zip. An anykernel zip (one that takes the existing ramdisk already on the phone and replaces the kernel - zImage) will have a kernel folder with a zImage file in it and no boot.img file.

I don't believe your issue is a bug with either LK or TK or a combination. It could be a script the dev had loaded or an app in the ROM that is interfering. See if you can check with the ROM dev about the I/O scheduler not sticking and if anyone else had this issue. I don't know if wiping will solve it but you should never need to wipe data to deal with swapping kernels. Reinstalling the ROM will reset the kernel and ramdisk back to what came with the ROM. A dirty flash is more than sufficient and it always wipes system so any custom init.d scripts will be removed and you'll only have the ones with the ROM. It's also possible the ROM dev tweaked the boot.img. What does the I/O scheduler get set to at boot? Trickster should be able to change it. LK defaults to deadline I believe.
Last edited by tiny4579; 20th February 2013 at 11:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 02:40 AM   |  #382  
phaze one's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 235
 
913 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Hell yes! I used your kernels on my Incredible. Stoked to see you're on the GNex. Flashing now.
21st February 2013, 03:51 AM   |  #383  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,205
 
7,869 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boastt

How do you install tinykernel? I get bootloops with 3.0, 2.7, 2.6, 2.5.1

You just flash it like any other kernel. Make sure it's a good download. Redownload maybe?

Either way, all the versions you listed worked for me. If they didn't they wouldn't be released and have many users successfully using them. For best results, make sure you're using the Android 4.2 with the kernel versions you mentioned. This kernel is compatible with all Galaxy Nexus models so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.
21st February 2013, 04:00 AM   |  #384  
nitsua98's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 941
 
1,826 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
Imma lol if it turns out he's on ics
The Following User Says Thank You to nitsua98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 04:06 AM   |  #385  
klubhead's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
223 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
Just want to make sure, 3.0.0 will work on 4.2.2?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
21st February 2013, 04:44 AM   |  #386  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,205
 
7,869 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubhead

Just want to make sure, 3.0.0 will work on 4.2.2?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes for sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 06:14 PM   |  #387  
BaMaDuDe87's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579

Ok, so this is how it goes. You have Nexus Evolution which runs LK. When you flash the ROM, the zip wipes system and flashes the ROM to system. It then flashes the boot.img containing the ramdisk and LK. When you flash a boot.img it overwrites everything. Nothing gets stuck as it's a complete overwrite. Then when you flash TK it will pull the existing ramdisk and replace the kernel and repack it into a boot.img and flash it. Then your new boot.img becomes the boot.img from the ROM with LK replaced with TK as the zImage.

One easy way to tell if the kernel uses boot.img is as said above. There will be a file called boot.img when you open the zip. An anykernel zip (one that takes the existing ramdisk already on the phone and replaces the kernel - zImage) will have a kernel folder with a zImage file in it and no boot.img file.

I don't believe your issue is a bug with either LK or TK or a combination. It could be a script the dev had loaded or an app in the ROM that is interfering. See if you can check with the ROM dev about the I/O scheduler not sticking and if anyone else had this issue. I don't know if wiping will solve it but you should never need to wipe data to deal with swapping kernels. Reinstalling the ROM will reset the kernel and ramdisk back to what came with the ROM. A dirty flash is more than sufficient and it always wipes system so any custom init.d scripts will be removed and you'll only have the ones with the ROM. It's also possible the ROM dev tweaked the boot.img. What does the I/O scheduler get set to at boot? Trickster should be able to change it. LK defaults to deadline I believe.

You sir just blew my mind and am still trying to digest this, but I am sure you know what you are talking about and thank you for taking the time to write that response out. Now I have to take the time to try to understand. Time to research
24th February 2013, 06:57 AM   |  #388  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
any issues with Shiny Rom 2/22/13 build and this kernel?
24th February 2013, 02:23 PM   |  #389  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,205
 
7,869 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5oh

any issues with Shiny Rom 2/22/13 build and this kernel?

I don't see any reason why there would be. Version 3 is compatible with JB 4.2.x meaning 4.2.1 and 4.2.2, even if the binaries are out of date on 4.2.2 it will work fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
24th February 2013, 11:08 PM   |  #390  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 311
 
1,510 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Re: [KERNEL]Tinykernel 3.0.0(4.2.x)/1.10.0(4.1.2) [JB] Updated 02/17/13
GPS no want to lock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android Development by ThreadRank