[Radios][mod][VZW] ALL the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Radios 3/5/2013

Search This thread

luke61456789

Aug 19, 2012
lakeville mn
Re: [Radios][VZW] ALL the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Radios 3/5/2013

I agree with the people a couple posts ago. I do have full bars after flashing but the radios suck i drop calls constantly and the speeds suck to i reverted back and bam speed is back with no dropped calls

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

branedamig

May 2, 2012
Canton, OH

I agree with the people a couple posts ago. I do have full bars after flashing but the radios suck i drop calls constantly and the speeds suck to i reverted back and bam speed is back with no dropped calls

Running new radios in an area with poor reception and I haven't experienced these issues. Maybe it's a ROM, kernel, radios combo.

Sent from my ATOMic GNex with AK Kernel on Tap2

Reactions: luke61456789

luke61456789

Aug 19, 2012
lakeville mn

Running new radios in an area with poor reception and I haven't experienced these issues. Maybe it's a ROM, kernel, radios combo.

Very well could be i did revert back to the other radios and i don't have that problem though not sure whats up with it lol

branedamig

May 2, 2012
Canton, OH

Very well could be i did revert back to the other radios and i don't have that problem though not sure whats up with it lol

That is odd. I actually didn't experience consistent reception till I updated to v9 and AK Kernel Purity v30.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
For the first time ever, I am getting 4G drops. I pick up my GNex, and there's no 4G. The tower is 200yds away.
Need to go back to the previous radio version.
Just wanted to share.
-bk

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Damn - now nothing works. Never seen this before.
Others in my house are getting 4G just fine.
Will try another radio download.
Uhhggg...

*Update*
I've gone back to 4.1.1 posted in this OP and still, no 4G. So I dl'ed a different 4.1.1 from RootzWiki and it works. What's up with this?
What is the "official" JRO03O? The one in this OP says "Unofficial" when you flash it. The RootzWiki one does not indicate one way or another.

Not sure if my ROM could be affecting any of this. I am thinking that I might flash a new version of the ROM (Muzzy for VZW Gnex) and see if I can find the official JRO03O radios. I need a baseline!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1454

jekern77

Aug 22, 2012
Shady Side, MD
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Everything had been done for days, but today I have no data. My wife's 3g is fine, and we're the same account... Wonder if it has to do with the new radios?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Everything had been done for days, but today I have no data. My wife's 3g is fine, and we're the same account... Wonder if it has to do with the new radios?

Another possible corollary: We both live in Maryland.

Something there maybe?

jekern77

Aug 22, 2012
Shady Side, MD
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Aside from my wife's phone acting fine. Maybe that old dinc2 is just a beast that refuses to accept failure?

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Could be that VZW is updating the towers in the MD area today.
Both of us have no data, both live in MD.
Something's up, and it may not be the software in our Gnex's.

jekern77

Aug 22, 2012
Shady Side, MD
Google Pixel 7 Pro

Well, I have my data back now. Hope you do too. I'm still on the newest radios, however I did change ROMs during my data "blackout". :confused:

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
yes, I got my data connection back. I looked at the Verizon Wireless website and saw that many other people in our area were complaining about the data outage. Apparently it was Verizon's problem all along. I am also back with the latest version of the radios. everything seems fine as of now.

Reactions: flytechguy
W

WiredPirate

I see the OP is fixed now, thanks Mark & the mods who helped!

Wow, I am very surprised to see people having trouble with the new radios!
I have been running them since the day Mark posted them and I haven't had any issues with dropped calls. I also have noticed that when I download a song the are finished downloading twice as fast. If anything I've only seen an improvement. :confused:

a lawless a

Feb 23, 2011
Houston Tx
Google Pixel 6 Pro
flash with no luck

Ok so i keep flashing the new radio and it says everything is successful however when i turn the phone back on it still says 4.1.1. I have tried this several time with no luck. I have downloaded all the versions of the radio and still no luck. help. on a side note can anyone help me install the latest twp recovery or whatever recovery everyone is using on 4.2.2. everything i have been reading say my version of twp recovery is out of date for 4.2.2

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA

Ok so i keep flashing the new radio and it says everything is successful however when i turn the phone back on it still says 4.1.1. I have tried this several time with no luck. I have downloaded all the versions of the radio and still no luck. help. on a side note can anyone help me install the latest twp recovery or whatever recovery everyone is using on 4.2.2. everything i have been reading say my version of twp recovery is out of date for 4.2.2

Just flashing the radio will not change the Android build number. Only the baseband will change when you flash a radio - updated radios are FK01/FK02.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
Tested out a new radio before and was getting near same results, but went back to latest 4.2.2 on PA 3.10 and data is now usable again. I'm finally picking up LTE indoors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS RADIOS

Hey guys!!

Im am not sure why no one else has not done this yet but I felt it was about time we had our own dedicated radio thread. Some of you may wonder what a radio is and others may have misconceptions as to what radios do. So let me try to make this clear and simple for all of you. So in a nutshell a radio driver is what allows your phone to communicate with the cell tower, similar to how a printer driver lets the computer and printer communicate with each other. Keep in mind it's a lot more in depth than that but you should now have a basic idea as to what they do.

I would also like to take the time to clear up some common misconceptions as to what radios do and don't do. Now most of this is fact, it is not just an opinion so if you have an open mind you can learn something. However, if you try to argue with me you better come up with a valid argument explaining why you believe what you believe. Different radio firmwares will more than likely NOT give you a stronger signal. Before a phone is released it is excessively tested before being released to the public. During this time the carrier/s test how much power the radio antenna can safely transmit. The way they measure this is through the SAR (Specific absorption rate (SAR) is a measure of the rate at which energy is absorbed by the body when exposed to a radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic field) value and then it is submitted to the FCC. Verizon's fillings are listed as below, in order for these to be raised above this the phone would have to be resubmitted to the FCC.

SAR: Head: .63 W/kg ; Body .88 W/kg , Product Specific Use: 1.01 W/kg, Simultaneous Transmission: 1.39 W/kg - (max allowed by the FCC is 1.6 W/kg)

What they will do is control when the phone will switch from 4g to 3g to 2g. This will cause some of you to be able to hold on to a 4g or 3g signal in some place that you didn't used to have it.

Radio drivers can also change the way the phone displays a certain signal strength by changing the way the signal to noise ratio is sent to the android telephony file in the platform_frameworks_base ... EXAMPLE -89dBm 43asu used to give you 2 bars of service. If they want to service providers can manipulate this to where the phone now shows 4 bars of service. Apple has done this in the past and Verizon admittedly did this with the 4.0.4 OTA.

Default values of SNR will display like this...

The LTE signal strength level is the smaller one
    between lte rsrp level and lte snr level if both
    rsrp and snr are valid.

The lte snr mapping are

Four bars: SNR >= 45

Three bars: 10 <= SNR < 45
    Two bars: -30 <= SNR < 10
    One bars: SNR < -30
    No bars: No Service

One final misconception I would like to clear up is that a radio update, assuming everything I stated prior remains true, should not make your phone's download speed faster. There are numerous variables that will cause the speed of your network to fluctuate. If you flash a radio and notice an increase in speed, whether it be small or large, you are only experiencing a placebo effect. The only file in android associated with download speeds is the build.prop file. With the exception of user traffic what I quoted below will be the biggest cause in difference of network speeds.

Reference signal received power (RSRP), is defined as the linear average over the power contributions in Watts of the resource elements that carry cell-specific reference signals within the considered measurement frequency bandwidth. Used to measure the signal of your LTE (GSM/4g) connection. In short, it's what's used to determine the best cell tower your LTE device can connect to at the given time. Anything below say -80db is considered pretty good and you're pretty close to a tower. -80db to -90db is average what you should expect most of the time. -90db or above and you're probably in an "extended network" area for LTE and getting close to a likely handoff. -105db and above you would be likely to see a handoff to 3G if your signal does not get better.

Throughput for your connection measured with LTE is estimated to decline between 30-50% if your signal goes from -75db to -90db for RSRP. Above -95db and your throughput dramatically drops. At around -108db and worse, your throughput for download drops to nearly 3G rates or worse. Note that this doesn't exactly represent how strong your signal is, just the potential of how efficiently it will send that data.

"But why can I have a super awesome RSRP signal and still my download/upload speeds are not that good (or why is it still sometimes good when RSRP is low)?"

Because it's only measuring the efficiency between you and the tower, not the rest of the network or the end source (the website). There are many network hops along the way to the destination and some may also handle connections inefficiently. The more hops, the slower the connection generally is.

However, it does also represent the greater likelihood that your connection will drop more packets of data that need to be retransmitted and thus not only slowing your connection but also causing it to have to work harder and draining more battery when it's actively downloading/uploading. That's why having it hand off is for the best than fighting it to stay on LTE. This is most likely why people always complained about the Thunderbolt having such poor battery life as no one ever saw what their RSRP was on it, only their RSSI like all other Gingerbread devices.

Now that all of that is cleared up here are your downloads :highfive:

INSTRUCTIONS:

All of these files are flashable through a custom recovery. If you would rather use fastboot just unzip the file a move the radios to your fastboot folder,

1. Download
    2. Its is VERY important that you check and match the md5 sum before flashing.
    3. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional)
    4. Flash
    5. Reboot

AS ALWAYS FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME

FAQ:

1. Nandoids do not back up your radio and no you don't need to back up a radio.
    2. There is no need to wipe yet I suggest wiping your cache and dalvik cache anytime you flash anything.
    3. Yes you can go back radio versions if you don't like the one you are on. Just download and flash the desired radio.

4.0.1 (ITL41D)
    LTE-EK02 / CDMA-EK01

http://d-h.st/GuU

MD5 Sum: 3302017119dd24eaf99b2a6540ea3697

4.0.2 (ICL53F)
    LTE-EK02 / CDMA-EK05

http://d-h.st/70H

MD5 Sum: a12743e6d3b80734831f69502bdae29b

4.0.3 (IML74K)
    LTE-EK04 / CDMA-EK06

http://d-h.st/vXY

MD5 Sum: c07f43102346b7e88ac30fe981dbbf2b

4.0.4 (IMM30B)
    LTE-FA02 / CDMA-FA02

http://d-h.st/204

MD5 Sum: bd63961006aa65e88100017bab2c7fbb

4.0.4 (IMM76K)
    LTE-FC05 / CDMA-FC04

http://d-h.st/5X5

MD5 Sum: 498a0596e23a155e80676dbbd6ac426f

4.1.1 (JRO03O)
    LTE-FG02 / CDMA-FF02

http://d-h.st/Hr8

MD5 Sum: 576354b2d830daa8961847042ef90918

4.2.2 (JDQ39) Thanks Mwalt his thread here
    LTE FK01/CDMA FK02 Radios

http://d-h.st/uQx

MD5 Sum: 9d9841c7ee3d1e46ba30c013adf50d2a
    Three bars: 10
    [Radios][VZW] ALL the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Radios

reserved
    looks like i got beat but here they are lol

http://d-h.st/uQx
    Hey guys, been experimenting some more with improving connectivity and speed of the data connection. I've found that there are actually some tcp congestion algorithm tunables in /sys/module/tcp_*/parameters directories. There are none for westwood but a handful for cubic. I've found so far that changing hystart_low_window value to a lower number seems to have improved my connection speed and connectivity (less timeouts), as tested with Network Tester and browsing.

I've only really tested this with some significance on tcp_cubic so far, but I'm sure optimal values could be found for other tcp congestion algorithms that have tunables in /sys/module/tcp*. To change the values, just run "echo value > path_to_value" in terminal; e.g.:
    Code:
    echo 4 > /sys/module/tcp_cubic/parameters/hystart_low_window

This cubic tweak plus the previous tweaks I posted has made my data very usable with 1-2 bars. I encourage people to check out tcp tunables, especially if your kernel has a bunch of tcp's to chose from like Dirty V. Almost all kernels will have cubic to try this tweak though.
    Thank you for the information you provided - One question that I had that I didnt seem to notice an answer for.

When a carrier updates the Radio's firmware what are they actually changing / adding / removing that we would need an update. If its just the values to show us bars why so many radio updates.... if it has no effect on speed or signal what is happening when they update radio's.
    The thing is, the radio firmware is closed source, so unless someone works for Samsung, no one knows what changes they've made.

And while mark is correct that no firmware can change any hardware limitations (eg, max power output, antenna limitations, etc.), who knows what software limits (below maximum) are coded into that firmware, and how those are changed with each revision? I certainly don't know, and unless someone comes up with the sauce, I doubt they would know either. So while a new radio image may not do anything for performance, it may also do something and not just a placebo. No source, no real proof - - there are just too many other factors that affect signal strength and data ping/throughput.

So a new radio is really just an updated driver for the hardware radio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Not really. The radio firmware that you are flashing is just that: firmware for the modem chip. It is not the "driver" that interfaces between Android and the modem.