OP mark manning

19th September 2012, 01:52 AM   |  #11  
Flag Temple
Thanks Meter: 35

113 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winesnob

So a new radio is really just an updated driver for the hardware radio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmiles7721 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2012, 03:25 AM   |  #12  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,230

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabriel2

Thank you for the information you provided - One question that I had that I didnt seem to notice an answer for.

When a carrier updates the Radio's firmware what are they actually changing / adding / removing that we would need an update. If its just the values to show us bars why so many radio updates.... if it has no effect on speed or signal what is happening when they update radio's.

The thing is, the radio firmware is closed source, so unless someone works for Samsung, no one knows what changes they've made.

And while mark is correct that no firmware can change any hardware limitations (eg, max power output, antenna limitations, etc.), who knows what software limits (below maximum) are coded into that firmware, and how those are changed with each revision? I certainly don't know, and unless someone comes up with the sauce, I doubt they would know either. So while a new radio image may not do anything for performance, it may also do something and not just a placebo. No source, no real proof - - there are just too many other factors that affect signal strength and data ping/throughput.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winesnob

So a new radio is really just an updated driver for the hardware radio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Not really. The radio firmware that you are flashing is just that: firmware for the modem chip. It is not the "driver" that interfaces between Android and the modem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 66

352 posts
Donate to Me
More
[redacted]
19th September 2012, 04:28 AM   |  #14  
OP Forum Moderator
Flag Denver, CO Likes: Omne absconditur in palam veniat
Thanks Meter: 3,336

5,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

The thing is, the radio firmware is closed source, so unless someone works for Samsung, no one knows what changes they've made.

And while mark is correct that no firmware can change any hardware limitations (eg, max power output, antenna limitations, etc.), who knows what software limits (below maximum) are coded into that firmware, and how those are changed with each revision? I certainly don't know, and unless someone comes up with the sauce, I doubt they would know either. So while a new radio image may not do anything for performance, it may also do something and not just a placebo. No source, no real proof - - there are just too many other factors that affect signal strength and data ping/throughput.

While he is right as well, it is closed source and we don't know for sure. However, from a technical stand point to see any real improvement in signal strength you would have to increase output a significant amount. Therefore, if there is an increase chances are in won't be noticeable by the end user

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Last edited by mark manning; 19th September 2012 at 04:31 AM.
19th September 2012, 04:31 AM   |  #15  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manning

While he is right as well, it is closed source and we don't know for sure. However, from a technical stand point to see any real improvement in signal strength you would have to increase out put a significant amount. Therefore, if there is an increase chances are in won't be noticeable by the end user

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Agreed!

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2012, 03:00 PM   |  #16  
Flag Ashburn, VA
Thanks Meter: 2

204 posts
More
Mark, thanks for doing this! Following this one.
19th September 2012, 05:07 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 4

29 posts
Ok thinking I understand more but had another question/thought

With so many variables leading to our "download" speeds - What would you suggest would be the best way to compare different Radio Firmware.

1) Signal Strength - Mine shows -106 dBm 34 asu ( with the leaked VZ new radio firmware )
2) Download Speed - This has too many variables I think to use this but to each their own.
3) Co Worker had this thought - Drop your phone down to 3G and use the dBm from that . . not sure about this one.
19th September 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #18  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabriel2

Ok thinking I understand more but had another question/thought

With so many variables leading to our "download" speeds - What would you suggest would be the best way to compare different Radio Firmware.

1) Signal Strength - Mine shows -106 dBm 34 asu ( with the leaked VZ new radio firmware )
2) Download Speed - This has too many variables I think to use this but to each their own.
3) Co Worker had this thought - Drop your phone down to 3G and use the dBm from that . . not sure about this one.

What I would do (if possible) is get two devices, flash them both with the same stock ROM, but different radios. Then make sure that they are both connected to the same cell tower, and run a speed test at the same time.
19th September 2012, 07:52 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 49

488 posts
Donate to Me
is it safe to flash the jellybean radios if you're still on a 4.0.4 rom?
19th September 2012, 07:56 PM   |  #20  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers8199

is it safe to flash the jellybean radios if you're still on a 4.0.4 rom?

Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread