[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

OP baldwinguy77

6th December 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #211  
Thanks Meter: 248

507 posts
More
Info
nevermind. got it.
Last edited by RoxRedEye; 7th December 2014 at 12:35 AM.
11th December 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #212  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 854

339 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey guys, so this is slightly off-topic but I'm going to have to get it figured out if I want to try building Android at all anytime soon. So I need to download the source again as I don't have it saved anywhere anymore. Everything is set up and working fine, but I have been having a major problem with all downloads from Google servers for the past two weeks.

I have Verizon FiOS, and for some reason my download speeds have slowed to an absolute crawl in the last couple of weeks. Here is the weird thing, though: this is only happening with data coming from Google servers. Whether it's the Android source, Nexus factory images, YouTube videos, Google Play Music, or apps from the Play Store download speeds are never more than 300 KB/s. I know that's not the worst download speed, but it makes downloading the Android source agonizingly slow, and it doesn't really make any sense when Speedtest is reporting my speeds as 75 Mb/s down and 40 Mb/s up. Also, for reference, before this started happening my download speeds from Google have been around 10 MB/s. So I'm really stumped as to what's going on. This is happening with all of the computers in my house, as well as phones/tablets. Also, my download speeds at school (5 miles away) were normal, so it doesn't seem to be a geographic thing. I also tested my ping to Google and it's about 15ms with 0% packet loss. I'm totally stumped as to what this means and what I can do to fix this.

I've tried resetting routers and some other usual stuff, but nothing is making this better. Could FiOS be throttling Google connections or something like that? Just wanted to see if anyone with some more networking experience could help me out, or if someone else has had this problem in the past. I'm totally stumped and I'm willing to answer any questions to see if we can get it figured out. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that all Google file downloads through Chrome are failing at completion with "Unknown network error." Hopefully I can get this figured out soon so that I can download the source quickly and not have to worry about it being corrupt or anything like that. Thanks so much in advance!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #213  
Thanks Meter: 48

57 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinguy77

Hey guys, so this is slightly off-topic but I'm going to have to get it figured out if I want to try building Android at all anytime soon. So I need to download the source again as I don't have it saved anywhere anymore. Everything is set up and working fine, but I have been having a major problem with all downloads from Google servers for the past two weeks.

I have Verizon FiOS, and for some reason my download speeds have slowed to an absolute crawl in the last couple of weeks. Here is the weird thing, though: this is only happening with data coming from Google servers. Whether it's the Android source, Nexus factory images, YouTube videos, Google Play Music, or apps from the Play Store download speeds are never more than 300 KB/s. I know that's not the worst download speed, but it makes downloading the Android source agonizingly slow, and it doesn't really make any sense when Speedtest is reporting my speeds as 75 Mb/s down and 40 Mb/s up. Also, for reference, before this started happening my download speeds from Google have been around 10 MB/s. So I'm really stumped as to what's going on. This is happening with all of the computers in my house, as well as phones/tablets. Also, my download speeds at school (5 miles away) were normal, so it doesn't seem to be a geographic thing. I also tested my ping to Google and it's about 15ms with 0% packet loss. I'm totally stumped as to what this means and what I can do to fix this.

I've tried resetting routers and some other usual stuff, but nothing is making this better. Could FiOS be throttling Google connections or something like that? Just wanted to see if anyone with some more networking experience could help me out, or if someone else has had this problem in the past. I'm totally stumped and I'm willing to answer any questions to see if we can get it figured out. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that all Google file downloads through Chrome are failing at completion with "Unknown network error." Hopefully I can get this figured out soon so that I can download the source quickly and not have to worry about it being corrupt or anything like that. Thanks so much in advance!

Did you get this straightened out?
18th December 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #214  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 854

339 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Jerz

Did you get this straightened out?

Not yet, unfortunately. I may just start downloading the source now that I'm almost done with finals. I don't know how long it will take, but I feel like I should definitely start sooner rather than later!
The Following User Says Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th December 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #215  
Thanks Meter: 76

207 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinguy77

Not yet, unfortunately. I may just start downloading the source now that I'm almost done with finals. I don't know how long it will take, but I feel like I should definitely start sooner rather than later!

This is not something I have personal experience with, but I think that the best way around an ISP throttling a particular connection is to use a VPN. I remember my interest being piqued by TunnelBear and CyberGhost as free options when I was looking into this a while back, but ultimately I didn't have a need to actually set one up so I can't help past that. Free plans may have limits that might not work for a big download like this though; I think TunnelBear's free plan has a low data cap and CyberGhost will disconnect itself after a period of time.

Either way, if it's easy to set up a free one it might be a good way to just confirm Verizon's behaviors and at least give you something to call and complain about.
18th December 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #216  
Thanks Meter: 48

57 posts
More
There was also a pretty big thread on Verizon's forums about throttling but I think the people (not Verizon employees, forum users) traced it to a router at the edge between the two's networks (Verizon and Google). Something along the lines of filled up ports or something. I'd set up a VPN for you here but I'm on FiOS as well. PM me if you want to give it a go and setup creds for you though.
18th December 2014, 08:35 PM   |  #217  
Thanks Meter: 9

25 posts
hey all. Good to see there is still life in this thread. I have a friend of mine borrowing one of my Galaxy Nexii running FML 5.0 wouldn't mind getting the other one onto some kind of Shiny 5.0 it was really cool seeing that old phone fire up and do all the latest tricks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread