Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[ROM][AOSP](8/9/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P]

10th January 2015, 02:54 PM   |  #221  
Thanks Meter: 33

479 posts
More
Wi-Fi tethering operates on this ROM as is. I believe trim wasn't being ran. I downloaded lag fix, root required, and ran fstrim. The nand performance is again decent.
10th January 2015, 08:50 PM   |  #222  
Flag Captiva
Thanks Meter: 64

486 posts
More
On my phone its stays stuck at "turning on hotspot"
10th January 2015, 09:50 PM   |  #223  

479 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by urphonesux

On my phone its stays stuck at "turning on hotspot"

Are you on a clean flash of ShinyROM? I haven't ever encountered this problem
12th January 2015, 06:51 PM   |  #224  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 88

416 posts
More
@baldwinguy77 Thanks again for your hard work.
I broke my GNex's screen about 9 month's ago and recently purchased a refurb'd GNex because I like it so much more than my S3/S4.
I was playing with FML's 5.0 beta build, and it's a ton of fun, but not good enough to be a daily driver.
So, I ended up pulling the board from my old broken Nexus and swapping it with my new(ish) Nexus.
Boy was I happily surprised when the phone booted up and everything was buttery smooth - just like I remember, running a ShinyROM build from February 2014 :P
Well, I'm on my way to updating recovery and clean flashing the latest build (080914?) and I just wanted to stop by and say thanks, and also, Google hates you.
"ShinyROM_toro... is not a commonly downloaded file, would you like to keep this file?" and only a discard button is present...wtf.

Anyway, I hope you had a good fall break and you get back up n running - I love the superclean, root free ROM you've put together.
The Following User Says Thank You to afextwin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 09:54 PM   |  #225  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 869

340 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by afextwin

@baldwinguy77 Thanks again for your hard work.
I broke my GNex's screen about 9 month's ago and recently purchased a refurb'd GNex because I like it so much more than my S3/S4.
I was playing with FML's 5.0 beta build, and it's a ton of fun, but not good enough to be a daily driver.
So, I ended up pulling the board from my old broken Nexus and swapping it with my new(ish) Nexus.
Boy was I happily surprised when the phone booted up and everything was buttery smooth - just like I remember, running a ShinyROM build from February 2014 :P
Well, I'm on my way to updating recovery and clean flashing the latest build (080914?) and I just wanted to stop by and say thanks, and also, Google hates you.
"ShinyROM_toro... is not a commonly downloaded file, would you like to keep this file?" and only a discard button is present...wtf.

Anyway, I hope you had a good fall break and you get back up n running - I love the superclean, root free ROM you've put together.

Haha, I love the added security in Chrome with features like that, but I've experienced that happening with a few files in the past that weren't truly malicious. I'm not sure why that's happening, but I will definitely look into it. It's funny because based on the IP address reports for downloads, a considerable percentage has always come from IPs registered to Google (Google employees, perhaps?) Anyways, I will try to get that figured out. In the meantime, I could look into mirroring them if anyone needs it, or you can temporarily disable that specific security settings in Chrome settings. I wouldn't personally recommend that, but if you do it just be sure to reenable it. Aside from that, thank you so much for the kind words I really appreciate it!

Also, a message for everyone: I think I finally got this Verizon FiOS thing figured out - something about having an outdated ONT, but also as soon as I kept calling and bringing up the speed issue it magically seemed to be fixed. Maybe something was wrong with my account and they fixed it without wanting to admit it. Anyways, I can download things from Google again! (Knock on wood) So, even though school started up again, my schedule is much more manageable and I've been taking a lot more on lately (web development company in my signature) and it's been going well! So I guess I should get off my high horse now, but the point is that I will download the source ASAP and start taking a look for real this time. It's going to be slow development, but sometimes that is the best kind for getting things right! Thanks for your patience!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to baldwinguy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2015, 07:51 PM   |  #226  
Thanks Meter: 319

811 posts
Gang,

A thank you to BWG, who did terrific work on Shiny for those who are on it, and who may stay on it.

For myself, I'm wrapping up one week on FML 5.0.2 with smitty's R6 kernel on it, and although the ROM/Device itself still has a bit of tweaking to do, I've made the transition to Lollypop.

Shiny still exists as a back up on my device should the need arise.

I'm on the FML thread and the kernel thread, and of course available by PM if need be. And I'll check the thread from time to time .... If BWG comes up with a 5.x version, I'm ready to try it hehehe.
16th January 2015, 11:20 PM   |  #227  
Thanks Meter: 399

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW-1

Gang,

A thank you to BWG, who did terrific work on Shiny for those who are on it, and who may stay on it.

For myself, I'm wrapping up one week on FML 5.0.2 with smitty's R6 kernel on it, and although the ROM/Device itself still has a bit of tweaking to do, I've made the transition to Lollypop.

Shiny still exists as a back up on my device should the need arise.

I'm on the FML thread and the kernel thread, and of course available by PM if need be. And I'll check the thread from time to time .... If BWG comes up with a 5.x version, I'm ready to try it hehehe.

I actually just reverted to Shiny because I kept experiencing terrible lag with FML / smitty after a few hours of up-time no matter what I did (seems to be memory allocation / flushing issues or something). During normal days I could just reboot, but I need a fast and reliable phone without frequent reboots next week since I'm travelling on a work-related mission, so I had to go back to 4.4.4. Don't get me wrong, MWisBest and Bsmitty83 are doing good work and things are progressing, it's just not nearly as good / fast / stable as Shiny 4.4.4 yet.

I'd love to see what BWG could do with lollipop!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkgnex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th January 2015, 05:37 PM   |  #228  
Flag Arkansas
Thanks Meter: 7

76 posts
More
I've been on 4.1.1 forever because I didn't like 4.2. I had all kinds of hacks etc. My phone was getting so buggy... Shiny ROM saved me! Thanks!

I flashed the no CRT mod but got stuck on the colored dot loading animation for about 10min and lost patience so flashed the ROM back over it. CRT was gone until reboot. I'm going to try and manually overwrite framework res via adb to see if that works. I used to play with aosp source and had figured out how to edit the code to remove the CRT. Those were fun days!

I really don't like the new android style with solid bright colors. But I'm gonna stick with it.

Thanks again! I'm so stoked to have dev still happening with this phone! I'm going into year 4 but would love a nexus 6. Gotta wait for a good used deal... Need to keep unlimited data...

* edit 02:
- about a week on the ROM and all good, a little lag in scrolling app drawer and a bit here and there, nothing major
- still can't get noCRT mod to work for the life of me... wiped cache/dalvic etc. just stuck on colored dot loading screen. re-flashing rom fixes it.

* edit 01:
- day 3 still good.
- hotspot works perfectly.
- a few weird random screen flashes, like a jolt of brightness when hitting the power button to turn the screen off. Nothing major.
- camera is quick to respond, flawless; before flashing this rom, I would take a photo and my camera would freeze up. that no longer is a problem!
- still need to figure out a way to get widgetsoid airplane mode toggle to work (android thing, nothing to do with this rom i believe).
Last edited by govindadas; 23rd January 2015 at 02:58 PM.
4th March 2015, 03:34 AM   |  #229  

121 posts
More
Is BWG working on a lollipop AOSP ROM?... I refuse to venture into 5.0 world without him. The couple ROMs I've ran have an incredible battery drain. *fingers crossed* When 5.1 is released, maybe out of his boredom, he releases an update.

Sent from my Shiny Nexus using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to irish_711 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2015, 12:13 PM   |  #230  
Thanks Meter: 34

307 posts
More
The CM 12 with DDK 1.9 drivers has great battery life. Just make sure you adjust screen brightness down even in auto brightness.

I agree would be awesome to have a shiny lollipop but I do believe he has moved on from our device

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread